Better method for finding tearouts?

0z0ne

Hey people!

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I was curious if anyone had any recommendations as to being on top of finding tearout locations. I live in Chicago, though most of my detecting is done in the burbs, and most of the road construction I come across is purely by chance. I suppose it's the same for most people, but perhaps not?

I assume they don't post such things in newspapers or public works websites, right?

Thank you in advance for the input!

Best,

0z

Planning commission or zoning

I would check with these two departments, planning being more important, they approve the work to be done in general.

I registered as a contractor and get emails anytime a bid is issued for our city.
It's not really helped much for me... I've learned that contractors don't bid on single jobs - they bid on many. And when they did call, it wasn't a very old location.

So here's one of my ideas.

When I'm out in historic areas, I will pull through the parking lot of old churches. If the asphalt is in bad shape but the church is in good shape, I make a note. I will then call and ask the minister if they plan to replace it in the next few years. And I put it on my calendar and send them a hobby card. It has netted two old church tearouts for me and 9+ silver hunts.

Old churches used to be surrounded by dirt and that dirt is FULL of coins from the planned offertory. Some churches really grew in the 1980s, they all got "capped" with blacktop. This locked the coins in the ground. The digging is TOUGH because there is usually a layer of gravel. But nobody cares about how neat your holes are. Most really old coins will be just below the gravel layer.

Wow!

I registered as a contractor and get emails anytime a bid is issued for our city.
It's not really helped much for me... I've learned that contractors don't bid on single jobs - they bid on many. And when they did call, it wasn't a very old location.

So here's one of my ideas.

When I'm out in historic areas, I will pull through the parking lot of old churches. If the asphalt is in bad shape but the church is in good shape, I make a note. I will then call and ask the minister if they plan to replace it in the next few years. And I put it on my calendar and send them a hobby card. It has netted two old church tearouts for me and 9+ silver hunts.

Old churches used to be surrounded by dirt and that dirt is FULL of coins from the planned offertory. Some churches really grew in the 1980s, they all got "capped" with blacktop. This locked the coins in the ground. The digging is TOUGH because there is usually a layer of gravel. But nobody cares about how neat your holes are. Most really old coins will be just below the gravel layer.

Wow, man, that's a great idea! I would've never thought to go that in depth with my site seeking. I'd better come up with my own hobby card first!

Would you say that's been a great benefactor?

Thank yoU!

If you search my posts on the forum you'll come across my hobby card.

The thing with hobby cards is that they are only a supplement to an in-person meeting. They don't work "on their own" ... that's the mistake people make with those things - they just send them or stick them in the door and expect results.

Most definitely!

If you search my posts on the forum you'll come across my hobby card.

The thing with hobby cards is that they are only a supplement to an in-person meeting. They don't work "on their own" ... that's the mistake people make with those things - they just send them or stick them in the door and expect results.

Agreed!

I've always gotten along quite well with people in person, and offering a card would just be a complimentary way to remind them of me! I know I hit that thread of yours breifly, but I'll have to check it out again for ideas :)

Thanks again, mate!

Back
Top Bottom