Pin pointer sensitivity?

machineman

I am wondering about sensitivity on pinpointers. I have used GPP and Harbor freight pin pointers. I am wondering how sensitive the pistol probe is? I want to modify a pinpointer for use close range nugget hunting. I would like to put the probe on the end of a pole so I can use it in bed rock cracks and between boulders. I am looking for broken pinpointers to work with also. I know the tresure mate was made for this purpose but I cant find much data on how good it is and what kind of range it has. thanks

No pin pointer we sell is sensitive enough for nuggets in my opinion, sorry.

Can you elaborate? Maybe they wouldn't hit on "tiny" gold flakes, but surely would hit on larger "nuggets?"

If not, please explain why, this is a genuine question and I'm ready to learn something. :)

Even if the Pistol tickles audio on the nugget when mounted on the stick you suggest...you won't hear it. The pistol just sends oout a whisper even if you are into a 4" hole. It's useless, especially with HPs.

In reality most "nuggets" we find are in reality flakes. If the nugget is not at least half the size of a pencil lead most pointers wont see them.

I am wondering about sensitivity on pinpointers. I have used GPP and Harbor freight pin pointers. I am wondering how sensitive the pistol probe is? I want to modify a pinpointer for use close range nugget hunting. I would like to put the probe on the end of a pole so I can use it in bed rock cracks and between boulders. I am looking for broken pinpointers to work with also. I know the tresure mate was made for this purpose but I cant find much data on how good it is and what kind of range it has. thanks

TRX is more sensitive than the rest. My pistol probe isn't good on gold. Saw a nugget shooter in aussie had some small detector about the size of a pen. Main part was as big as a small pond pump. He was picking up the smallest gold I seen anything pick up.

Even if the Pistol tickles audio on the nugget when mounted on the stick you suggest...you won't hear it. The pistol just sends oout a whisper even if you are into a 4" hole. It's useless, especially with HPs.

Whisper? Mine is plenty loud.........
It's also pretty deep, but not very sensitive to tiny lower conductors like small pieces of foil, so probably not the best choice for prospecting.

Whisper? Mine is plenty loud.........
It's also pretty deep, but not very sensitive to tiny lower conductors like small pieces of foil, so probably not the best choice for prospecting.

Mine is impossible to hear if I ever wanna use headphones, and is the same after pulling the HPs off, especially by a highway road with traffic.

Please post a utube with your sound. I've only read the same opinion like mine over the last few years. I want to hear yours.

martin

Martin, I would do a video but without another pinpointer or at least something else familiar to compare it with, it would be pretty difficult for the viewer to determine where the volume is at. It's definitely not as loud as a propointer, and may not be loud enough for those who dig with their with their headphones on. I hunt a lot of urban sites and they can get pretty noisy, but haven't had a problem with mine. Maybe I just got a loud one.

Martin, I would do a video but without another pinpointer or at least something else familiar to compare it with, it would be pretty difficult for the viewer to determine where the volume is at. It's definitely not as loud as a propointer, and may not be loud enough for those who dig with their with their headphones on. I hunt a lot of urban sites and they can get pretty noisy, but haven't had a problem with mine. Maybe I just got a loud one.

I dig with my headphones on. Pistol probe depends on where you have the knob turned. My TRX is plenty loud with headphones on. Main problem is no two people hears the exact same tone the same way.

I dig with my headphones on. Pistol probe depends on where you have the knob turned. My TRX is plenty loud with headphones on. Main problem is no two people hears the exact same tone the same way.

I called DetectorPro right after getting mine a few years back and the guy didn't argue that the pizo speaker was weak. Further research on-line surfaced the same general attitude. Believe me, I've turned the knobs all over when on the phone with that guy, and I never raised volume but a smidgen.

It's not just me. Many,, many other people document the same issue. I currently own 6 different pinpointers, and the Pistol is absolutely the weakest in audio.

Maybe they improved them. How old is yours?

I called DetectorPro right after getting mine a few years back and the guy didn't argue that the pizo speaker was weak. Further research on-line surfaced the same general attitude. Believe me, I've turned the knobs all over when on the phone with that guy, and I never raised volume but a smidgen.

It's not just me. Many,, many other people document the same issue. I currently own 6 different pinpointers, and the Pistol is absolutely the weakest in audio.

Maybe they improved them. How old is yours?

Over 3 years old. But I can hear people talking through my headphones too. Works good when someone at the beach doesn't think I can hear them:lol: You don't want to kill all the background noise at the places I hunt inland. Some of them are in the 'hood.

Back
Top Bottom