My new camera flies

LOL yes i'd agree with seeing one outside my window and I'd say you'd have the Right to shoot it down.

Bill's colorful response got me to think about the legal issues of a Drone so I did some further researching. I didn't want to think my flying over Boot Hill could be ruled as trespassing. What I found is the subject has yet to really be addresses in the legal courts. It used to be thought that a land owner owned what they called from heaven to hell but all that changed in 1946 in a court case. That court case changed the law to say anything above 80' is deemed public air space.

Soooooo, by law, as long as I keep my drone above 80' I am good. If you shoot it down you can be charged with destruction of private property. I will get some new video today from just above 80' so we can all get an idea how that looks.

Are you serious? Tell me you're not one of those that sits around the house wearing an aluminum hat! LOL

You can "invade someone's privacy" with a $30 hand camera if that is your intentions. You can play peeping Tom with a pair of $10 binoculars if that is your intentions. You can listen in on your neighbors conversations with a $30 set of Sonic Ears in that is your intentions. You can kill someone with a hammer if that is your intentions.

This is nothing but a tool like the many others that can be used for good or bad. I happen to plan to get some very unique videos of hunting and recovering targets while detecting. I also plan to use it to scout out possible campsites without having to walk there myself.

Back to the original subject: I was a little concerned about the wind here in southwest Kansas. We are known as the windiest city in North America. Today the wind was a little higher than normal so I took the Phantom out for a test. Took it down to the city park and was able to fly it with ease. In fact I was able to take my hands off the control and it still flew well.

This Drone is fullly autonomous. It uses GPS to know its position at all times. Before you fly you calibrate the compass and it knows the home GPS location. Should it ever loose contact with the radio it will automatically return home and land. You can even use a map just like Google Earth and just touch to make waypoints and it will fly to each of the assigned waypoints and then return home and land.

Here it is in the high wind. You can see the trees blowing good.

Here is a nice video showing how you could use the map and waypoints to find hidden cellar holes in out of the way places.

Cool stuff! If someone doesn't like drones, they might not want to go to most beaches. Ours has several hardcore film crews. Some with drones that will break a bank account:lol: They mostly film the surfers and skyline. But I'm in one of the films unless they edited me out. Looked to the side and the drone was watching me swing my CTX. Maybe it was Gary Drayton spying on me?:laughing:

sorry bud, not going to be dragged into an argument. i think your first post already showed more than enough disrespect to the OP's thread.

Not trying to drag anyone into an argument. I feel I disrespected no one. Drones are a technology that can be misused, like may other technologies.... I'm sure you've heard/read about many cases, being involved in that hobby as well.. Once again, someone flies one of those things to a point where I feel my privacy, and the privacy of my family is in jeopardy, I'm attempting to "neutralize" it, and will gladly answer to the authorities. Have a nice day.

Are you serious? Tell me you're not one of those that sits around the house wearing an aluminum hat! LOL

You can "invade someone's privacy" with a $30 hand camera if that is your intentions. You can play peeping Tom with a pair of $10 binoculars if that is your intentions. You can listen in on your neighbors conversations with a $30 set of Sonic Ears in that is your intentions. You can kill someone with a hammer if that is your intentions.

This is nothing but a tool like the many others that can be used for good or bad. I happen to plan to get some very unique videos of hunting and recovering targets while detecting. I also plan to use it to scout out possible campsites without having to walk there myself.

Back to the original subject: I was a little concerned about the wind here in southwest Kansas. We are known as the windiest city in North America. Today the wind was a little higher than normal so I took the Phantom out for a test. Took it down to the city park and was able to fly it with ease. In fact I was able to take my hands off the control and it still flew well.

This Drone is fullly autonomous. It uses GPS to know its position at all times. Before you fly you calibrate the compass and it knows the home GPS location. Should it ever loose contact with the radio it will automatically return home and land. You can even use a map just like Google Earth and just touch to make waypoints and it will fly to each of the assigned waypoints and then return home and land.

Here it is in the high wind. You can see the trees blowing good.

Here is a nice video showing how you could use the map and waypoints to find hidden cellar holes in out of the way places.

Nope, never wore a aluminum hat, only steel and kevlar, like many others here have.

YOU may not employ YOUR drone in a manner which is illegal/invades MY privacy, but how will I know the intentions of the operator if I spot one hovering over my garage or house? Or maybe a PETA nut-job trying to interfere with my hunting. The potential for abuse is endless.

Your $30 hand camera, $10 binocular and $30 Sonic Ear examples carry no weight in this debate, as they don't possess the capabilities they would have if otherwise mounted on a drone.

Your $30 hand camera, $10 binocular and $30 Sonic Ear examples carry no weight in this debate

Ah, so your opinion is the only thing that carries any weight in this debate? LOL highly rate yourself I'd say.

Frankly I didn't think the rest was worth quoting. Again, your opinion does not fact make.

This is so funny!!!!

The debate concerns the use of drones, but the part of my post related to drones wasn't worth quoting????

Agree to disagree, but at least, if you you are going to present an argument, do so without misrepresenting the argument offered by the opposition!

You want to fly your drone? Go ahead.

That by no means negates my argument that drones can be used inappropriately.

And by the way, what makes you think your opinion is any more valid than mine?

You already know the answer to that one.

And by the way, what makes you think your opinion is any more valid than mine?

I don't and never claimed it did, you're the one who put top value to your own opinion. I was simply saying your opinion is just that, your opinion just like mine is simply mine.

Here is the view from 85" I promised. This is Public Air Space.

I don't and never claimed it did, you're the one who put top value to your own opinion. I was simply saying your opinion is just that, your opinion just like mine is simply mine.

Here is the view from 85" I promised. This is Public Air Space.

Here is what I posted, in case you have forgotten(bold and italic added for emphasis)-

"Your $30 hand camera, $10 binocular and $30 Sonic Ear examples carry no weight in this debate, as they don't possess the capabilities they would have if otherwise mounted on a drone."

I "put top value to" my "own opinion"? Please explain...

Maybe you should refrain from asking people what type of headgear they have worn in the past, and concentrate more on a coherent debate.

Sound good?

I "put top value to" my "own opinion"? Please explain...

How about you read your own posts and get a clue? No explanation needed for the obvious.

Maybe you should refrain from asking people what type of headgear they have worn in the past, and concentrate more on a coherent debate.

Sound good?

Look, if your life is so lacking you feel the need to come on a metal detecting board and *cough* "debate" then you really need another hobby. This has not been a debate but your podium to try and preach your moral values to the masses. Sorry, I will fly my Drone within the guidelines of the law despite your prized opinion and threats to take the law in to your own hands.

I keep trying to brush off your useless comments to get this thread back to its original intent so don't take that as thinking your rubbish means squat. I'm simply trying to keep this thread from being closed from useless distractions. Hello! Metal Detecting forum not the local debate club.

The more I watch those Fling videos, the more I wish I had 1200.00 to blow. Honestly I'd be more worried about the government & all there satellites. Everywhere you look there's a camera, can't even pizz in your backyard unless you want it on facebook! So what hell, I'll start saving for a drone, more videos Please!!!

What I have is the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. You can get them with the GoPro Hero 3 HD camera Mine has the DJI HD Camera. Same specs as the H3 3D just a little smaller and lighter. It is a LiPO battery pack and can fly for about 25 minutes.

I'm going to start playing with the Ground Station ability. With this you open a map on your iPhone/iPAD/Android that can be a basic street map to a high grade satellite map like Google Earth and set a flight path by touching locations. You can set the speed and height at each waypoint. Then you just press the Start and it takes off and flies the route on its own. This allows you to concentrate on watching the video and moving the camera to see, and record for later viewing, possible hunting sites.

Another flight test. This is at my folks.

ok, thanks for the info! :yes:
25 minutes? wow, i can only dream of staying aloft for that long, lol. mine's a smaller, lighter unit and the more weight i add (ie. camera), the shorter my flight time. i get about 9-10 minutes with the cam and 13-15 without it.
then again, when i first got it and was learning to fly, 10 minutes seemed like a really long time, haha.

The more I watch those Fling videos, the more I wish I had 1200.00 to blow. Honestly I'd be more worried about the government & all there satellites. Everywhere you look there's a camera, can't even pizz in your backyard unless you want it on facebook! So what hell, I'll start saving for a drone, more videos Please!!!

And a small umbrella. :D

Detector

I watched a show about police using drones to track a suspect. I am not sure where it was. I think somewhere in California. The police officer said it was illegal for anyone except police and military to film over private property with a drone. There was a photographer who wanted to use one at a wedding and was told it was illegal and he was not allowed to.

I think your 80 foot public air space makes it legal to fly over private property but maybe not legal to film.

I have no problem with anyone flying a drone completely legal but if I see one peeking in my window, not saying it will ever happen, I am with Bill_Ace_350 it's going to get a dose of 12 gauge.

if I see one peeking in my window.... it's going to get a dose of 12 gauge.

i probably would too, BUT: neither of the quadcopter owners who have posted on this thread have come anywhere close to saying that we're doing stupid and possibly illegal or invading actions with our equipment!
that's like the general non-detecting public out there trying to say that ALL people with metal detectors are out there breaking laws with their detectors.
EVERYONE on this forum KNOWS that isn't so, so why bash people just because they happen to have a different hobby?
i fly mine VERY responsibly and from the vids Detector has kindly posted, i think it's safe to say that he does as well.
ironically, i don't see anyone on the flying forum bashing metal detectorists just because there's the possibility of one of them doing something illegal with their equipment.
this is supposed to be a friendly forum, yet comments regarding other hobby's sure aren't coming across very nicely. all the man was doing was showing us his new fangled way of taking some pics/video.

Detector: i've enjoyed watching what you've posted and the capabilities of the equipment and i believe there were a couple of others who are quite impressed with it as well.

i probably would too, BUT: neither of the quadcopter owners who have posted on this thread have come anywhere close to saying that we're doing stupid and possibly illegal or invading actions with our equipment!
that's like the general non-detecting public out there trying to say that ALL people with metal detectors are out there breaking laws with their detectors.
EVERYONE on this forum KNOWS that isn't so, so why bash people just because they happen to have a different hobby?
i fly mine VERY responsibly and from the vids Detector has kindly posted, i think it's safe to say that he does as well.
ironically, i don't see anyone on the flying forum bashing metal detectorists just because there's the possibility of one of them doing something illegal with their equipment.
this is supposed to be a friendly forum, yet comments regarding other hobby's sure aren't coming across very nicely. all the man was doing was showing us his new fangled way of taking some pics/video.

Detector: i've enjoyed watching what you've posted and the capabilities of the equipment and i believe there were a couple of others who are quite impressed with it as well.

It is amazing how you bypass everything else I said and take one comment and don't even post the whole thing, but just what meets your agenda. What happened to the middle part of the comment "not saying it will ever happen"

That comment is totally OUT OF CONTEXT and You are the one stirring the pot!

Don't say anything about me mentioning about legal air space, NO just hack my comments to suit your needs.

Just fly your little toy by my place and watch what happens!!!

This is a Friendly Metal Detecting Forum, not a toy flying forum.

End of conversation.

Back
Top Bottom