Full Coiltek 6" Digger coil test hunt...

detect4coins

I got in a 2 hour hunt with the digger today. I have to say that I am impressed with this little coil! I purposely went over areas that I have hunted before with my Eagle Spectrum and it's 5.3" coil. I managed to pull out 76 cents from the area. 5 dimes, 2 nickles, and 16 pennies (including one toasted 1946 wheat). Two of the dimes and one of the Lincolns came out of a plug that also had a pull tab in it beside the coin, yet I could hear a nice clear signal from the coin. On two of those coins, I actually found the pulltab in the plug first with my pinpointer, and then when I double checked the hole with the pinpointer, I found the coin. That tells me that the coin was deeper than the pulltab, but off to the side of it and the little Digger still picked it up. Coins signal with a nice clear tone most times. They just sound "cleaner" than a junk target. The only ones that fooled me were two pulltab rings without the tail attached that sounded good. Maybe with more time I will be able to differentiate the sounds for those rings, but I don't know yet. Square tabs sound rough on the ends of the signal and sometimes ring in as a 12 on my 505. The only surprise signal was a pocket spill of two nickles that rang up with a 30 VDI. I was expecting a zinc, but was surprised with the two Jeffersons. The nice thing with the 3 Khz coil is that I can often tell a clad dime from a copper penny in my soil here. Dimes were reading 36-39, and Lincolns were 33-36. Zincs were reading as 30 usually. I look forward to getting some time in with the Digger and getting a better read on how it reacts. For a coinshooter, It is a great tool! The deepest target I found today was at 4", but was a good, solid signal. :grin:

In an air test, I can get around 8" from it. From personal experience, that tells me it will go a bit deeper in the ground. The strong point of this coil seems to be it's ability to pick out good signals in trash. From my time out with it, it seems to excel at that. I have only found targets about 4" so far, but the signal was loud, clear and had a steady VDI. raising the coil about 5 inches, the signal was still repeatable and steady. If you order one of these, give Bart at Big Boys Hobbies a call. He was very good to deal with and shipped the coil quickly! :yes: I'm in Fayette Co.

I took mine out for a test hunt. I went to a new place to test it out. i dug nothing but trash. Can slaw, pull tabs, whatsits, you name it. I went back to the the car and put the stock coil back on and went over the same area and found a quarter on my first signal.

I was hunting in All metal mode.

As far as depth, I have not gotten more than 3 inches out of it. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I'm taking it to a park I have hunted before and see how it does. I am not giving up on the coil so soon. But I will list it for sale on this forum if it does not work out for me.

Shedigz, stupid question, but did you airtest common coins to see if the vdi numbers shifted any? dimes ring up as 36-39 on my 505 with the digger, but are a steady 36 with the stock coil. some numbers may be different. Don't forget that your 705 has 28 segment VDI, so your numbers may shift even more. Just a thought. Also, don't forget to listen more than anything. The signals on coins were much clearer than the trash signals on my unit. Or, you may have gotten a bum coil..... unlikely, but possible. Maybe have someone else test your coil on their machine? see how their machine does with it?

I got in a 2 hour hunt with the digger today. I have to say that I am impressed with this little coil! I purposely went over areas that I have hunted before with my Eagle Spectrum and it's 5.3" coil. I managed to pull out 76 cents from the area. 5 dimes, 2 nickles, and 16 pennies (including one toasted 1946 wheat). Two of the dimes and one of the Lincolns came out of a plug that also had a pull tab in it beside the coin, yet I could hear a nice clear signal from the coin. On two of those coins, I actually found the pulltab in the plug first with my pinpointer, and then when I double checked the hole with the pinpointer, I found the coin. That tells me that the coin was deeper than the pulltab, but off to the side of it and the little Digger still picked it up. Coins signal with a nice clear tone most times. They just sound "cleaner" than a junk target. The only ones that fooled me were two pulltab rings without the tail attached that sounded good. Maybe with more time I will be able to differentiate the sounds for those rings, but I don't know yet. Square tabs sound rough on the ends of the signal and sometimes ring in as a 12 on my 505. The only surprise signal was a pocket spill of two nickles that rang up with a 30 VDI. I was expecting a zinc, but was surprised with the two Jeffersons. The nice thing with the 3 Khz coil is that I can often tell a clad dime from a copper penny in my soil here. Dimes were reading 36-39, and Lincolns were 33-36. Zincs were reading as 30 usually. I look forward to getting some time in with the Digger and getting a better read on how it reacts. For a coinshooter, It is a great tool! The deepest target I found today was at 4", but was a good, solid signal. :grin:

Great report! The Coiltek X-Terra 6" 3 khz Digger coil is a winner winner chicken dinner!

Back
Top Bottom