Wish me luck

DavidDoc

I'm DavidDoc on the forum. I go by the name "Doc." I joined the forum not long ago and live in Minnesota.

Not long ago, I went to an old trailer park location and found four Lincoln pennies on my first excursion after the winter. I have been asking around and got directions from a friend to the site of an old Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) camp location in this county. I found an old slab where a building was and the camp is said to have surrounded it. There weren't any NO Trespassing or State Property signs or anything. The site is just off the road a bit, isolated and alone under pine trees. I'm going to try the site pretty soon so wish me luck. It sounds as promising as any other old place I suppose. The ground does not have high weeds or brush but is somewhat thick with green algae etc. in places and a solid layer of built up grass and the like. I guess you just have to go to work and dig however you have to.

I took some pics but as of yet don't know how to incorporate them into posts on this part of the forum. Anyway, I'll get back if anything good comes out of the site. It will be a first for me detecting at this type of location. I'm going to try and look up some old county maps and see what they may tell me. I'm still relatively new at this hobby and am trying to learn the ins and outs. My fingers are crossed in anticipation.

Sounds like my type of place!
I like secluded, woodsy places and abandoned things.

Regarding the posting of photos: I see someone already gave you a link to the tutorial. I should mention that in my case my phone photos are too large to upload and I dont see any way to set my camera app for a lower file size. What I did to rectify that was I downloaded a photo resizing app to my phone. I have to resize my originals down to between 25% - 50%. Then they upload fine, but then I have tons of photos in my phone including the downsized duplicates, and the process is frankly a bit of a pain! Just letting you know in case you encounter this problem. I also used my regular camera set to about 2MP a few times, but then I have to use a PC to upload.

In case you run into those issues maybe this info will be of help. It was also a bit of a headache for me getting started with photo uploads.

Oh! By the way... Good luck at your new site!

Good luck! Look around and try to imagine the areas that were cleared and used back in the heyday. Detect the picnic areas, baseball fields, camp sites, beaches, and/or whatever else looks good.

I'd like want to know what you find at the CC Camp.

Years ago my Uncle showed me one out in the woods but it's 2 or 3 hours away. Years before he was there 2 days and decided it was not for him & walked & walked & also use his thumb to get back home LOL

I'm DavidDoc on the forum. I go by the name "Doc." I joined the forum not long ago and live in Minnesota.

Not long ago, I went to an old trailer park location and found four Lincoln pennies on my first excursion after the winter. I have been asking around and got directions from a friend to the site of an old Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) camp location in this county. I found an old slab where a building was and the camp is said to have surrounded it. There weren't any NO Trespassing or State Property signs or anything. The site is just off the road a bit, isolated and alone under pine trees. I'm going to try the site pretty soon so wish me luck. It sounds as promising as any other old place I suppose. The ground does not have high weeds or brush but is somewhat thick with green algae etc. in places and a solid layer of built up grass and the like. I guess you just have to go to work and dig however you have to.

I took some pics but as of yet don't know how to incorporate them into posts on this part of the forum. Anyway, I'll get back if anything good comes out of the site. It will be a first for me detecting at this type of location. I'm going to try and look up some old county maps and see what they may tell me. I'm still relatively new at this hobby and am trying to learn the ins and outs. My fingers are crossed in anticipation.

I too will be hunting two ccc camps one is still under snow however. I think they may be promising can’t wait to see what you find there.

While looking up maps look 1933 to 1942. Those were the years they were active. One by me was initially at one spot (shuksan) but then moved closer to glacier well maple falls. That one is now a bible camp. Been trying to get permission for two years. The other is at bacon creek. Been there a ton but only detected once so far. These men that worked at these camps were paid only 30$ per month of which 25 was sent to there families. However there was a commissary at each camp so coins were exchanged. A great book to read on the subject is camp glacier f12 by micheal impero it’s a great book but about a specific camp by me. However tells tons of ccc history.

Back
Top Bottom