Street Tear Out! ***PIC HEAVY*** (Page 5) UPDATED

I am somewhat amazed and puzzled why you detecting a sidewalk tearout would upset that guy so much, it's not like it's not going to be covered over again later with a new sidewalk :?:

Within 6 feet of the water main? My guess is that the homeowner was worried about damage to the pipe that serves his house. No need for him to be rude, but I wouldn't blame a homeowner for giving me a stern reminder that I'm a few feet from a water main.

Within 6 feet of the water main? My guess is that the homeowner was worried about damage to the pipe that serves his house. No need for him to be rude, but I wouldn't blame a homeowner for giving me a stern reminder that I'm a few feet from a water main.

You might be right, I can appreciate the homeowners concern in that respect, but unless I am misunderstanding the basic requirements for the depth such pipes have to be, the homeowner should have no concern that a detectorist would dig anywhere deep enough to even get close.

I just did a search for such guidelines in Nebraska (the OP's home state) and it seems that water mains need to be at least 5 feet deep -

https://www.mudomaha.com/sites/default/files/1.11.2.pdf

Now again you could still be right about the homeowners concern because he might have no idea of the big difference between how deep the water main is and how deep a detectorist might dig.

You might be right, I can appreciate the homeowners concern in that respect, but unless I am misunderstanding the basic requirements for the depth such pipes have to be, the homeowner should have no concern that a detectorist would dig anywhere deep enough to even get close.

I just did a search for such guidelines in Nebraska (the OP's home state) and it seems that water mains need to be at least 5 feet deep -

https://www.mudomaha.com/sites/default/files/1.11.2.pdf

Now again you could still be right about the homeowners concern because he might have no idea of the big difference between how deep the water main is and how deep a detectorist might dig.

You would be correct in that depth. The mains are buried deep enough that my detector doesn't generally pick them up (unless of course they are in an open trench and I'm detecting the sidewalls!)

on a side note, they tore out some sidewalk in front of our courthouse the other day (first week of October)...I didn't find any coins, but did find a small gold heart (looked like off a necklace or earring) that was about 4 inches under the original sidewalk! I also found a bunch of rusty square nails, which is no surprise considering the original courthouse burnt to the ground in the early 1900's.

They are slated to tear out some more around the courthouse (straight from a county commissioners mouth, that was talking to me as I was detecting that stretch of sidewalk) sometime in the next year or so. It's only a matter of time before I find a honey hole again like the tear out that started this thread!

You would be correct in that depth. The mains are buried deep enough that my detector doesn't generally pick them up (unless of course they are in an open trench and I'm detecting the sidewalls!)

on a side note, they tore out some sidewalk in front of our courthouse the other day (first week of October)...I didn't find any coins, but did find a small gold heart (looked like off a necklace or earring) that was about 4 inches under the original sidewalk! I also found a bunch of rusty square nails, which is no surprise considering the original courthouse burnt to the ground in the early 1900's.

They are slated to tear out some more around the courthouse (straight from a county commissioners mouth, that was talking to me as I was detecting that stretch of sidewalk) sometime in the next year or so. It's only a matter of time before I find a honey hole again like the tear out that started this thread!

That is great that you have an advance notice of a future sidewalk tear-out, and especially nice it came from the county commissioner right while you were detecting there :lol:

Hi Neb

Just ran across this thread and you have had an amazing run of detecting! For most people, thats a lifetime of potential! Thanks for posting, it was fun to follow along and see what you found

Been a while since i've posted anything. Got busy with life and haven't had a change to detect near as much. Found this in my parents yard over easter weekend. Their house was built on an old dump site. Found this in the back yard about 8" down. Rang up like a barber or seated quarter on my AT Gold. Hopefully i'll have some more time this spring to go when the weather is nice and my honey-do list is done. Haven't hardly touched much of the rest of the yard.

picture.php

I can understand how being busy with stuff that needs done can limit detecting time but good to see you post again.

After you not being able to detect much for a while I hope when your time frees up more you have another street tear out in your area :shock: that will help make up for not being able to detect much recently. :D

I can understand how being busy with stuff that needs done can limit detecting time but good to see you post again.

After you not being able to detect much for a while I hope when your time frees up more you have another street tear out in your area :shock: that will help make up for not being able to detect much recently. :D

We have an almost 2 year old running around now....that definitely takes a chunk of time (and patience). Also started a side gig farming (well sort of, it's 20 acres of native seed production) and that definitely takes a big big chunk (at least until its established and good on it's own) and I also harvest native seeds in the fall time too (not production, just native pastures).

Hopefully they do some street (de)construction around here and I will really get after it as time allows. And I'll definitely be hitting my parents yard harder too

Back
Top Bottom