Goatweed and Brambles

Garball77

I finally got out to hunt a familial farm that was a site to some old 19th century swimming holes and saloons. I haven't been out there in a while, but when I finally got out there, I was dismayed. I knew they were letting the land go wild, but d@mn.

I took one look at the old swimming hole sites and saw they were holding water from recent rains and had become home to some big lizards and their legless cousins. So, I kept driving down to where the Irish used to play, and the area was overgrown with goatweed and brambles. I couldn't get the detector within six inches of the ground in most spots and couldn't swing more than an inch or two in either direction. The day was a total bust.

Is there any way to hunt this terrain, or sometimes do you just have to let Mother Nature win?

Is there any way to hunt this terrain, or sometimes do you just have to let Mother Nature win?

Is it year -round now, with that level of vegetation ? Or is it only seasonal ? If it's seasonal spring growth (go figure , we're in spring right now), then : Just come back in very-late fall, eh ?

But if it's year-round vegetation/growth, and you suspect goodies under the canopy, then a technique my hunt partner and I have adopted is: Brush wackers. That's a weed-wacker with a blade adapted. We have both gas powered and a battery powered unit. That for half an hour, then rake back all your spoils, and : Presto: Clear ground :cool3:

Is it year -round now, with that level of vegetation ? Or is it only seasonal ? If it's seasonal spring growth (go figure , we're in spring right now), then : Just come back in very-late fall, eh ?

But if it's year-round vegetation/growth, and you suspect goodies under the canopy, then a technique my hunt partner and I have adopted is: Brush wackers. That's a weed-wacker with a blade adapted. We have both gas powered and a battery powered unit. That for half an hour, then rake back all your spoils, and : Presto: Clear ground :cool3:

warning personal experience here...make sure it is not poision ivy...no matter how much you think you are covered up, no matter how much you played in the stuff over the years with no reaction whatsoever.....it won't end well:no:

Seriously considering taking the bush hog down there, but I don't even know if their tractor runs

Seriously considering taking the bush hog down there, but I don't even know if their tractor runs

I would only resort to such measures, if there were pretty certain odds of more goodies hiding under heavy vegetation.

At the spot where we first hatched this idea, is where we'd already pulled several 1840s-60s seateds. Yet could only hunt perhaps 20% of the area (on narrow deer trails that lace through the area). Everywhere else was covered by dense thick bramble bushes type tumble-weed type bushes. Given the history of the location we had a strong suspicion there was more. Heck, just forcefully pushing our coils under overhanging brush would sometimes net an added signal or two. So we hatched the idea of invest in brush wackers. Lotta work, but it gave us more period coins :cool3:

I'm actually dealing with a very similar site right now. I just cant get into what I consider to be the best parts of the site because of all the overgrowth and underbrush. It has prickers Galore and I usually walk out of there with a couple ticks on me. There are several old foundations including that of a large barn. Maybe it would be good to chop down the area with a machete in late fall before the first snowfall, and then hit it in early spring before it all grows back again. I was going to take some photos of that site with my little drone a few days ago to share on the Forum....but I can't seem to find my little drone. :shrug:

Just to give an idea, these daffodils and flowering bush are in the middle of the woods about 75 ft from the barn and house foundation. Until about 20 years ago someone was living in a trailer on the property also. Seems to also be an old Root Cellar a few feet to the right out of the photo... or I was thinking it could have been the steps to an even older house although I do not see any evidence of a foundation. A few feet from that I have found some old stuff while digging including glass pieces.

Attachments

• 20210409_193449_copy_780x1040.jpg
    20210409_193449_copy_780x1040.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom