Tungsten ring

patbick9

Well, I haven't posted in a while because basically, I haven't found anything worth posting about. The weather has been hot and humid and the tides have been off(low tide while I'm at work and extremely high when I get home). Anyway, the tides have shifted and I got out last night for a few hours. I found this men's Tungsten wedding band last night along with the cheap earings. I was starting to get discouraged, but now I can't wait to get out again. HH all.

Attachments

• DSCN1649.jpg
    DSCN1649.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,627
  • DSCN1647.jpg
    DSCN1647.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,403
Sweet dig! I found what I think is a tungsten ring at the beach this week too, but mine isn't stamped and isn't as nice as yours. Congrats!

Looks like you had fun and thats what counts. Some times when it is slow going it is easy to get down but a ring like that will pick you up in a heart beat! :)

Nice going!!!It is a little slow here,although the weather is good ,hope it will improve as we move farther in to the season.Good luck and HH

Nice find but I do have a question......whats a tungsten? and is it white gold? silver or platinum?

Nice find but I do have a question......whats a tungsten? and is it white gold? silver or platinum?

As far as I know, tungsten is a form of steel. I am not sure why they make rings out of it, but I have checked out websites that just make tungsten jewelry.

Oh... I see... still a good find and at least its better than finding a Lord of the Rings souvenir ring which i found last week...thought my eyes were about to pop out after seeing my junk ring.

Also, this might help - tungsten is a separate element, not steel.
Tungsten ( /ˈtʌŋstən/), also known as wolfram ( /ˈwʊlfrəm/ WOOL-frəm), is a chemical element with the chemical symbol W and atomic number 74.

A steel-gray metal under standard conditions when uncombined, tungsten is found naturally on Earth only combined in chemical compounds. Its important ores include wolframite and scheelite. The free element is remarkable for its robust physical properties, especially the fact that it has the highest melting point of all the non-alloyed metals and the second highest of all the elements after carbon. Also remarkable is its very high density of 19.3 times that of water. This density is slightly more than that of uranium and 71% more than that of lead.[3] Tungsten with minor amounts of impurities is often brittle[4] and hard, making it difficult to work. However, very pure tungsten is more ductile, and can be cut with a hacksaw.[5]

The unalloyed elemental form is used mainly in electrical applications. Tungsten's many alloys have numerous applications, most notably in incandescent light bulb filaments, X-ray tubes (as both the filament and target), and superalloys. Tungsten's hardness and high density give it military applications in penetrating projectiles. Tungsten compounds are most often used industrially as catalysts.

Tungsten is the only metal from the third transition series that is known to occur in biomolecules, and is the heaviest element known to be used by living organisms

Nice ring, congrats! Checking out jewelry stores while out shopping with my wife I've seen tungsten and tungsten carbide wedding bands in jewelry stores cost more than gold bands. I'll never understand though how it became fashionable to pay more for a tungsten wedding band than you would for a gold one... people are weird... LOL!

Now if only ARA and other jewelry refiners would get in on that act...

Back
Top Bottom