2nd trip a lot better.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Took my son out to his school for some detecting in the playground. I know that a friend of mine lost his school ring there in 85 or so as well. He knows the general area but there is a small concrete basketball court the area but still a lot of open area where he told me. I'm just not sure how much land disturbance may have occurred since then.

Anything in the 40s and 50s was slaw. The higher numbers were coins. All fairly modern (oldest was a 75 penny). Nonetheless, it was exciting to get coins. My 11yo son, especially like it. I don't have his eyesight and he picked the coin out every time.

The coins were all dug aroun 2" deep, except for the 1975.

Each coin looked intriguing bc of it's almost black color. When scraped away and eventually washed at home, each coin looked copper-colored. Why? The soil here is black. Acidic (pH below 4.5 probably). Wet often.

On our way to recouping costs! [emoji6]

My son needed the Michigan State quarter for his almost-complete collection. Lol.

cc5c6de67a3eed4193bceb4ea8f6434f.jpg

2af9e75aa94770c6165ab8edbab8e71b.jpg

2635c8c5f212001746414147e782bd1f.jpg

7cb64faead10370fe78cdd06ce097bab.jpg

I didn't expect the new coins to be so 'rusty' brown and the old dime to come out somewhat untouched, maybe a little discolored. But it is the coin that looks like it came out of my pocket.

All clad will deteriorate after being in the ground a couple years. The good looking penny was a more recent drop. Post 1982 pennies are made of zinc and will have holes in them after a couple years. That's why when you find a silver coin you know it right away...

All clad will deteriorate after being in the ground a couple years. The good looking penny was a more recent drop. Post 1982 pennies are made of zinc and will have holes in them after a couple years. That's why when you find a silver coin you know it right away...

Yeah, it's amazing how bad clad looks coming outta the ground even after only a year. Especially in ground that is frequently wet.

I can see another detector soon for the 11yr old. Great you guys have a hobby that you can do together. Wait till you pull that first ring! Your son will be hooked! No better time in your life than here and now. Congratulations on the hunt!

Back
Top Bottom