Vaquero at the beach?

It's always great to start out with a ring! What did you end up using for a scoop, and how did it work for ya? Glad to see you had a good time.

Travis

I just got one of those scoops from tractor supply and drilled a bunch of half inch holes in it and it worked real good in the dry powder sand but in damp sand it clogged up a bit but for the small amount of beach hunting i will do its perfect. one thing i liked about it is that its plastic and i could wave it over my coil to see if i had scooped what i was looking for. the ring weighs 4.5 grams and is in real good shape i dont think it was out there long.

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw someone swinging an Excal or Sov on the dry sand that wasn't swinging it at least six-inches off the sand and slicing. Facts not spin. I will leave the spin to others :laughing:

Hmmm, :?: I spend some time in the dry sand with my Excal almost every time I go to the beach. My coil is scimming the sand and flat throughout the whole swing. I've found enough in the dry with the Excal to keep going back.

Hey Coon, that's great news! Grats on your silver ring with the Vaquero.:grin: You have been to the beach and back again but my advice is take the detector and try it in the wet to see how it does. You were gonna take it anyway and it never hurts to try it. I took two detectors my last beach trip, a DFX and I took the Compadre too in case my wife wanted to swing something. The DFX did not chatter one bit, but I kinda expected that with the dual frequencies. The Compadre, surprisingly enough, also did not chatter and I could find coins that I buried six inches down in the wet sand with it just to see. Would it work so well on another beach in another part of the country? Maybe or maybe not, but it did not cost me anything to find out and I got lucky and it worked fine. Next time I go, I may not be so lucky using a single frequency vlf detector; everyones mileage may vary.

I usually only relic hunt but Im going to the beach for vacation and Im going to try to md there. I have never md at a beach so can yall tell me the beach hunting basics. How will the vaquero do at the beach should I stay in the dry sand or can I get into the wet sand or even shallow water?

Thanks.

If there's any wet sand around, forget it. If it's deeeep dry sand then it's good for that.

Edit: I see you've found that out already!

Seanpaul......Did you use your compadre without chatter in 'saltwater wet sand?' I would be very happy if my compadre could detect coins/rings in six inches of saltwater wet sand.

Back
Top Bottom