Gold V3i Question

Moonshadow

I received my "new" V3i back from repair and it's completely different learning on a working machine than one that isn't! It's easy to pull coins out of the ground, and I pretty much know what's under the ground before I even dig. I only have a few hours of hunting with my detector since I got it back, but I already have a question!

I have a question about methods to distinguish gold jewelry from pulltabs. Usually when I get a hit in the gold range, I'll pinpoint, and note which bar hits the strongest. If it's 22.5khz, I'll dig. If it's 7.5khz, I assume that it's a pulltab. Sometimes it is both 22.5khz and 7.5khz almost equal strength, and I think I've pulled trash out when it does this as well.

I know that the ring size and composition vary and can change the way your detector reacts. Is it safe to say that generally speaking, most smaller gold rings hit strongest in the 22.5khz range? I'm just curious what methods other people are doing to mentally discriminate the trash from the gold.

"Is it safe to say that generally speaking, most smaller gold rings hit strongest in the 22.5khz range? I'm just curious what methods other people are doing to mentally discriminate the trash from the gold."

It is safe to say MOST gold rings hit strongest in the 22.5khz range along with platinum rings, palladium rings, gold medallions, bracelets, chains, charms and earrings I have recovered.
There are many variables when it comes to gold jewelry. There have been many books written on the subject by some very notable people. While the detectors may be different, methods and detecting philosophies remain the same. Sizing analysis mode being used? 22.5khz and 7.5khz as dominate frequencies together on same line indicates pulltab. INDICATES is the key word. You don't necessarily need to dig it all, only those common gold ranges. Gold RINGS are classified as small, medium and large. I don't want to confuse you, however the "standard" test gold ring is a woman's 14kt ring which is considered in the small class. For me it VDIs at 14. Common pulltabs for my area are slightly higher, in the 20s range. I choose to ignore the common pulltab for my area. Do I pass over gold jewelry? I really don't care if I do or not. I go back again and again...layer by layer. I also find rings in mid to 30s and in the 40s range. It takes time, patience and perseverance, but it is worth the effort. The Whites Advanced Users Guide can be downloaded and explains in great detail the different settings and adjustments of the V3i. DFX Gold Methods authored by Clive James Clynick gives a great explanation of the relationship between gold signals and pulltab signals with ideas of how to increase your odds. HH

I had the v3i for a while. If you use the polar plot feature, a gold ring will come in with all 3 freq. tight and lined up (up and to the right), where a pull tab won't. Can slaw or foil can get the same "tight, lined up" results though.

I haven't run any gold test on mine (yet), since I mostly old coin and relic hunt, but for the most part gold will hit strongest on 22.5. There's really no sure way to tell gold and jewelry from trash. The only way to make sure you get all the gold is to dig everything from foil on up.

Back
Top Bottom