Ground Balance help

redsman

Ok so I bought a x-terra 505. I was leaving the GB alone mostly which I figured I'm finding things so it's ok. Well today I went to the beach and tried to GB it and I could not do it correctly. Can anyone tell me how to do it right

From the Instruction Manual

"When detecting on the beach, adjusting ground balance may not give significant improvements. Try adjusting sensitivity and altering patterns for best results."

"Using the detector in all metal, find a clear area of ground without any targets. Hold the coil parallel and 4” (10 cm) above the ground. Select Ground Balance. A constant hum known as the Ground Balance tone will sound when the coil is held steady. Continuously lower and raise the coil towards and away from the ground and listen to the Ground Balance tone. Try to lower the coil as close to the ground as possible without touching it. Adjust the Ground Balance using + and –, listening for minimum volume which will occur during the transition from low to high. If the tone is low, increase the Ground Balance setting using +, if the tone is high, decrease the setting using –. The menu scale andnumeric ID will indicate the chosen setting"

Ok what I did was turn the GB all the way up then started to lift it up and down. I hear a sound like I hit iron and as I am going up and down,am I suppsosed to get it where I hear no sound at all?

Ok so today I went to a small park and was able to GB corectly I raised it up and down and changed numbers till I heard no more sound. When I'm at the Beach I can't get the tone to drop to where I can't hear it.. I know it's not a beach made detector but shouldn't I still be able to GB it correctly. I tried it in the wet sand and couldn't do it then,went to dry sand and wasn't any better.

You shouldn't be tuning it to no sound. The GB tone should always be there, but change as little as possible.

And when you're running, you should always have the Threshold Tone audible.

I am a newbie .... but to my understanding the Saltwater may be the issue because it conducts more so then say freshwater and for sure dry land. I am interested in this as I too will be at the beach soon ,,, so I too will want to know the right/best way to GB at the beach ... good luck

I guess I need to try again. It was frustrating cause I didn't get any different sound no matter what I set the GB too. I even adjusted the sensitivity and threshold,and still sounded the same.

Another thing to be aware of, is that with an Xterra, the higher the number the lower the amount of compensation for minerals by the machine. GB numbers above 15 or so on the 505 are actually pretty good. Anything higher than that is a bonus.

Sensitivity above 7-8 is acceptable, but higher is better as long as the machine remains stable.

Also, remove the coil cover and be sure that it's clean in there. It doesn't take much of the wrong stuff in there to really mess you up. And if the beach is going to be a regular place to hunt, you might want to seal the coil cover to the coil with a small bead of silicone caulk.

A DD coil might also improve your situation, but the only waterproof DD available from ML is the 6" HF.

Back
Top Bottom