AT PRO Deep Signals & Pinpointg Help

TinmanNY

I have been using my AT PRO for two seasons now and have a pretty good handle pinpointing and detecting targets that I can get a lock on when I pinpoint. I have been knocking down the clad like crazy, but very little silver.

I'm trying go go deeper, by just listening to those faint tones, but I am having trouble pinpointing them, I may get a signal one way then move 90 degrees and get nothing, then move back to the original faint tone but can't pinpoint it. How do you guys do it while hunting for those faint tones without digging a crater sized hole?

Thanks in advance!

With very deep targets (8-9 inches) I don't pinpoint at all. I use the X method to try to get the best estimate of the target's location.

I can't recall the last time I used the P/P button. I use the wiggle back method and if you keep the coil level, I've found it to be pretty accurate. When I'm off, I probably had the nose of the coil down a little and the target is further back. The deeper the target the more I'm off up to a couple of inches. With the signal strength, it's just experience and gut feelings that tell me to dig or not if it's not a repeatable signal.

Dave

I have been using my AT PRO for two seasons now and have a pretty good handle pinpointing and detecting targets that I can get a lock on when I pinpoint. I have been knocking down the clad like crazy, but very little silver.

I'm trying go go deeper, by just listening to those faint tones, but I am having trouble pinpointing them, I may get a signal one way then move 90 degrees and get nothing, then move back to the original faint tone but can't pinpoint it. How do you guys do it while hunting for those faint tones without digging a crater sized hole?

Thanks in advance!

I was getting those problems with small foil, and the shallow nails do it so i wonder if the deep nails do the same...good signal one way and nothing the other way

There is no law that states silver is going to be deep. More than likely it is the sites you are hunting. If you are hunting the same parks and ball fields as everyone else then the silver will be elusive. It will be deep or masked. You have a nice detector for hunting in iron. Get the small coil and search the areas everyone else runs from. Take your time and dig high tones.

Private yards have a very good chance of never being hunted. And the silver usually isn't that deep. If you are finding wheat pennies you are deep enough for silver.

I'll tell you the number one secret to finding silver and other goodies. Make phone calls and bang on doors of property owners. You drive by places all the time you want to detect, but talk yourself out of asking permission. Get your speech down and go meet people. All they can say is get out of here. But you will be surprised how many say yes. I guarantee silver at 4 to 6 inches.

I agree the X method definitely works very well. If I'm getting a deep signal that hits only one way, I usually scan the immediate area around the target to make sure that there isn't more shallow targets that are just being caught by the edge of your coil making you think it's a deep target. I also pay attention to the VDI on a deep target. If I see the VDI hanging around the 80's but every so often bounce to the 30-40's I usually ignore it, my past experience has found this to be usually junk. If the VDI stays fairly constant (no more than a 10 - 15 bounce) then I will dig it. If your parks are old enough there is still plenty of silver you just have to be patient.

I can't recall the last time I used the P/P button. I use the wiggle back method and if you keep the coil level, I've found it to be pretty accurate. When I'm off, I probably had the nose of the coil down a little and the target is further back. The deeper the target the more I'm off up to a couple of inches. With the signal strength, it's just experience and gut feelings that tell me to dig or not if it's not a repeatable signal.

Dave

Same here, I don't bother with the pinpoint button and use the tip of the coil.

With a DD coil's narrow detecting strip pin pointing to center is a waste of time.

The target is right where the signal stops as you back off it.

Back
Top Bottom