Best areas to look

machineman

I was just wondering where most of you like to look for good older finds. To date I have found no gold or silver coins. I have searched mostly parks, but I did search an old ranch house with no luck. Should I try old schools, parks, old farms, ect? I know if I have the time I should try them all. But what seems to be the most consistent for finding old silver coins? Thanks.

I have never had luck at parks, but I know some who have. I personally, focus on private yards. These seem to have the greatest success.

really depends on the history of your area, i've found old coins dating back to the 1700's in a couple parks, if parks don't give up any oldies then try lookin at a couple old topo maps and find a few old homes in woods that no longer exist, i do well at these areas if it hasn't been hunted too hard

I haven't found gold yet, but have a few silver coins. I only found one silver coin in a park. All others have come from private yards that I obtained permission to hunt. Although I see plenty of posts from people up in the north east who seem to find all kinds of old coins from public places. Must be the location :)

Dirtwork

I am no expert but my best and oldest finds come from around any old location where there has been a lack of major land scape changes. I try to make a point to ask the home or land owner what has changed in the yard, field, etc...this has been very valuable information to me as the area I hunt has grown and changed considerably over the last 30-60 years. Like I said I am no expert. Good luck
Bushmasta

I guess it depends on what you consider "good older finds?" I like old stuff as well, and it isn't always coins I find hunting old areas. I do like hunting abandon homesteads although many of those folks didn't have much $ to lose in the first place. I think more is lost where people spend money, it town. Bars, fairgrounds, ball parks etc.

I've been hitting the old one room schoolhouses in my area. Have to get an old plat map that shows their locations and then it's just a matter of finding the landowner's for permission.

I found a couple of old school houses that I am going to try. One is burned down about 20 year ago and the other was torn down in the 50's I think and now there is just a bare field. Thanks for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom