Any point hunting?

93civEJ1

So, i havent really gotten out yet since getting my detector yesterday. The house I am currently staying in is a house built in 1999 in a subdivision / neighborhood.

I dont know the history of the land or what was on it before...maybe noting. Is there any point venturing out into the backyard to swing? I found a few nails yesterday (probably from the house build), but recently learned how to discriminate those out on my machine. Should I give it another go?, or do you all only search places you know have a past or history?

Try local school playgrounds on the weekends ,they can be very rewarding! As long as they have sand,woodchips or chopped rubber tires under the equiptment.

ive piddled around the backyard yesterday and today for a min....im very bad at pinpointing...

My detector was going crazy a second ago on a spot...i dug and dug, and would swing over the hole and still getting a hit...theres no way my detector can hit something that deep, but it swears its there. I never could find it and i was a good 6 inches down and just gave up as it was starting to rain..

Do pipes ever give false signals? i did an X over the area and it didnt seem to extend past the patch i was digging.

check outhistoric aerials to check what was there before your house...you might be pleasantly surprised.

It could be something huge buried deep...or it might be something in the side of the hole. Do you have a pinpointer?

I would definitely do your yard more, I found over $1.50 in my yard. :mder:

The following list describes how I run my HF 9-Function:

• Power/Volume - 12:00 position.
  • Sensitivity - As high as can be without ground interference, usually at about 12:00 to the 5:00 position.
  • Discrimination - at about the 11:00 position, this will discriminate out trash such as nails, iron, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc. while keeping coins, most gold, silver, and other highly conductive metals.
  • The switch - I usually keep this on tone. It gives the things you disc'd out a low grunt, while giving the things not disc'd out a nice high tone.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer. :research:

check outhistoric aerials to check what was there before your house...you might be pleasantly surprised.

It could be something huge buried deep...or it might be something in the side of the hole. Do you have a pinpointer?

I dont yet, but the cheap detector has a pinpoint option...who knows how well it works...

I may eventually pick up a pinpointer though once I get a little more time under my hands.

I would definitely do your yard more, I found over $1.50 in my yard. :mder:

The following list describes how I run my HF 9-Function:

• Power/Volume - 12:00 position.
  • Sensitivity - As high as can be without ground interference, usually at about 12:00 to the 5:00 position.
  • Discrimination - at about the 11:00 position, this will discriminate out trash such as nails, iron, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc. while keeping coins, most gold, silver, and other highly conductive metals.
  • The switch - I usually keep this on tone. It gives the things you disc'd out a low grunt, while giving the things not disc'd out a nice high tone.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer. :research:

awesome...thanks...i actually set my sensitivity about 3/4 the way, and the disc is currently around the 10-11 (i used some nails this morning to disc those out)....the switch is on the discriminate too. I need to read up more between the different switch modes.

Ive been watching wildcat creeks vids.

from that site...it looks like the oldest image is 1992, and it appears it was nothing but just pasture then, so something between then 92 and 99 it turned into a neighborhood.

ive piddled around the backyard yesterday and today for a min....im very bad at pinpointing...

My detector was going crazy a second ago on a spot...i dug and dug, and would swing over the hole and still getting a hit...theres no way my detector can hit something that deep, but it swears its there. I never could find it and i was a good 6 inches down and just gave up as it was starting to rain..

Do pipes ever give false signals? i did an X over the area and it didnt seem to extend past the patch i was digging.

A buried septic tank cover will read good. I dug two of them so far.

awesome...thanks...i actually set my sensitivity about 3/4 the way, and the disc is currently around the 10-11 (i used some nails this morning to disc those out)....the switch is on the discriminate too. I need to read up more between the different switch modes.

Ive been watching wildcat creeks vids.

Okay. With the switch on disc, it makes all things that are disc'd out to not make a sound, and for everything that isn't knocked out, it gives a signal. I actually started using this mode as my primary mode last year. :yes:

When the switch is on tone, as I stated earlier, it gives the things you disc'd out a low grunt, while giving the things not disc'd out a high tone. :mder:

All metal gives everything a high tone, no matter where the disc knob is at. :D

Stay in the yard and learn your machine. Thats pretty much what I did. After a million "air tests" I ventured out into the yard and discovered that in ground metal sure sounds different that buried metal. Learning how to use the Disc, Tone, ID etc etc in your yard will save you a lot of time as opposed to getting out there in a park or beach and figuring it all out on the fly, even tho theres nothing wrong with that either.... It took me forever to get the courage to switch out of "all metal" but im sure glad I did! Also, you never know who may have lost what in your yard, especially if you dont know the history! How many kids take mom and dads rings outside? lol. I say dig the yard till its picked clean in ALL of the settings!

Okay. With the switch on disc, it makes all things that are disc'd out to not make a sound, and for everything that isn't knocked out, it gives a signal. I actually started using this mode as my primary mode last year. :yes:

When the switch is on tone, as I stated earlier, it gives the things you disc'd out a low grunt, while giving the things not disc'd out a high tone. :mder:

All metal gives everything a high tone, no matter where the disc knob is at. :D

Cept gold. At least on my machine, gold sounds exactly the same as a pull tab.... Its still fun wondering if I might be digging up another gold ring!

The home yard is good proving grounds, as you have been describing. You might be surprised, or not, to find out what is in your yard's dirt. Houses built around '99 might have some modern toys, coins, jewelry, etc. Might have older stuff from earlier land usage. Might have big metal buried during construction. Great place to educate yourself; not only in the detecting skills aspect, but you also learn what's there. So yes...it's worth it.

The house I am currently staying in is a house built in 1999 in a subdivision / neighborhood.
Myrelatives have gotten a kick out of watching me detect. Lots of laughs with me showing off in front of 25 people on the beach up north in the UP.

They weren’t laughing when I found the quarter they’d hid in my yard though. They were amazed when I dug a silver Pandora bracelet in my yard, house built in 1999. My mother had lost it at some point in time!

Stay in your yard until you start to understand what your machine is saying. I dug a bunch of coins out of my yard along with aluminum cans and other trash but it helped me learn. An aluminum can will sound so very good. But it will be Loud. Lift the machine a few inches above the ground. If at six inches above the ground the target is still there you might as well leave it there. There are still five aluminum cans in my front yard and I have not bothered to remove them.

Heck ya I'd hit my own yard. You just never know what's there. If it's a new sub division I'm sure it has fill dirt brought in but in but who knows where that fill dirt came from. It could of come from an old site with lots of goodies that they deposited there. You never know until you try it.

Yes, it is worth hunting.

I found two IHP's behind a family members brand new house (in a brand new subdivision).

Also, using Historical Aerials does not hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom