How to hunt on limited time?

fledge

Any one have any tips for hunting in a limited amount of time. I usually only have an hour a day to hunt what do you guys do? I would love to be able to go out for a 5 or 6 hour hunt just don't have the time and can't get the wife into it.:D

tot lots, soccer field half way line, lanes into and out of field or parking lots, around the parking lot on grass.

Any one of them id recommend

I typically hunt in 30 to 60 minute increments. I've tried the power hunting method of covering a large area fast. Did ok on clad and shallow items, but missed a lot of stuff. I now target a small area 10' x 10' or 20' x 20' and will try to hunt it slow and deliberate, so I hit every potential target in the time I have. Sometimes I'll go over the same spot on separate trips just to be sure. Then the next trip I'll overlap a bit and do an adjacent section.

I,m with ya on concentrating more on smaller areas, I hve increased my finds, over trying to cover more ground quuickly. I hunt with a small coil on my at pro, and I find the small coil forces me to take my time and make quality sweeps.

Any one have any tips for hunting in a limited amount of time. I usually only have an hour a day to hunt what do you guys do? I would love to be able to go out for a 5 or 6 hour hunt just don't have the time and can't get the wife into it.:D

There's a few things you can do to get more time for the big hunts - it's all about priority. Ie. doing things during the week, that you would usualy do in the weekend. I'm sure that you can find your way around that limitation.

You could do short hunts in local spots during the week, and then use a few hours you have during the weekend to go for the interesting places.

I don't have any problems getting out myself, but have tried standing with a metaldetector bag in my hand, telling my spouse that I was trying to decide between pubcrawling the english way, or metaldetecting on the beach this afternoon. - She just replied 'Have fun at the beach....'

I don't often go detecting unless I have the time for it. Making sure that I have done what I need to do before the weekend gives me plenty of time to do 8 hour hunts... - Maybe I should mention that I don't spend a lot of time in front of the tv (That saves me at least 2 hours a day....)

You probably can't detect in the winter, and there's a lot of things, which can safely be delayed until the snow arrives, like organizing the garage, sharpening the tools etc.

HH.

/Steffen

When I have limited time I'll try to hit the high traffic areas. The best for me is around the bleachers at sports fields. Hh

(1) Learn to pinpoint while in motion-can be faster than pinpoint is most instances.
(2) Use large coil that comes with the unit and overlap about 50%
(3) Bypass the broken, weak signals and dig the repeatable ones.
(4) Work likely spots in an ever-increasing circle for about 3 sweep paths, i.e., playground equipment
(5) Use light foil discrimination as this will cause most questionable targets to "sound different" than a repeatable target and will get rid of the most common nuisance trash.:grin:

I'll chime in on this.. my lunch break is an hour. I hunt pretty much every lunch. Elementary play areas, especially the swings ( found 2 14K pendants by them), parks, yards, you name it where ever I can swing my coil. And I have had sometimes more luck on.my breaks then after work when I burn 3-4 hours.

Oh and dont overlook those gravel driveways. They may not be an easy dig, but are responsible for 3 mercs this year including my very first mercury dime.

Lakota

Back
Top Bottom