AT Pro Help Please!!!

I was able to go out for a while tonight. I switched back to the 8.5x11 and put a little terminal grease on the pins for better current flow then plugged her in as tight as I could. Pulled the coil cover off and cleaned everything up real good and put it back on. Factory reset the machine. Ran an auto gb, then adjusted -10. Set pro custom, iron disc @ 35, nothing notched, sens 1 below max. Finds were 1 quarter 4", 1 nickel 4", 4 dimes-shallowest 2" deepest 6", 6 pennies between 2" and 8", and one small childrens "tot lot" ring at 5". I even got a solid 54 (thought it could be a nickel) turned out to be a pull tab, but it rang in at 8" on the detector, actually dug 10 to get it. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that I may have solved the problem. Not sure if it was dirt in the cover, bad connection, or just needed a factory reset that bad though. Anyway I thank all of you for the advice and assistance that you have given.

Metallic sand & dust inbetween the coil and cover cause all kinds of mayhem, it gets worse when you try to ground balance with it in there.

Somebody on another thread said they seal thier coil cover to the coil with a bead of silicone, sounds like a great idea to me!

Last edited:
I have not tried this yet but I have seen where people on this forum and another forum put black silicone on the edges all around the coil cover to prevent sand from getting in between the cover and the coil.
That may help to resolve your problem.

I have had no problem with the cover and my battery is good till it jumps between the two and one bar which i doubt any machines user would let their machine stay with their battery....i have never found a time during any of that battery use that it hasnt given me 8"-10" depths on things and yes once in a while i dig them if they are good signals and find usually find bottle tops or fishing weights or hooks.

I dont use silicon sealent on the cover as i dont run it in salt water or black sand as of yet but will seal it when that becomes an option.

The 5x8 is great and trashy soil but if the soil is high iron i found the 8.5 x 11 is better with the id sent to 40, everything down to that 90 degree sweep, and the tones,,if i hear the high sweet ping in both directions im all over it

I have had no problem with the cover and my battery is good till it jumps between the two and one bar which i doubt any machines user would let their machine stay with their battery....i have never found a time during any of that battery use that it hasnt given me 8"-10" depths on things and yes once in a while i dig them if they are good signals and find usually find bottle tops or fishing weights or hooks.

I dont use silicon sealent on the cover as i dont run it in salt water or black sand as of yet but will seal it when that becomes an option.

The 5x8 is great and trashy soil but if the soil is high iron i found the 8.5 x 11 is better with the id sent to 40, everything down to that 90 degree sweep, and the tones,,if i hear the high sweet ping in both directions im all over it

That's interesting that you aren't losing depth at two bars. I have a test garden and with two bars there is a clear loss of depth versus 3 and 4 bars.

MAKE SURE your coil and headphones are plugged in all the way. I noticed a friends was not in all the way and he more then likely was missing stuff. just a thought.

That's interesting that you aren't losing depth at two bars. I have a test garden and with two bars there is a clear loss of depth versus 3 and 4 bars.

I have only notices loss when ita at about 2 to 1 bar and as you pinpoint it goes all the way down, then its changing out time...i usually when it reached half power change out so im not testing its ability to miss anything.

My rechargables seem to jump from the three to two and then dropping off so they dont last as long as regular batteries but i always carry at least one spare set, mostly two incase its a long day.

When you have rechargables id always recommend two spare sets...i use the pinpointer a lot when im 90 degree sweeping so i prefer to have too many then too few..if i ever have to cut a day short from batteries id be so pissed...

I have never had a problem from them dying out for that reason...if i didnt use the pinpointer as much id probably even run them at two till they went to one but as a treasure hunter magazine article said about the at pro...if your waiting to see if you lose depth...why?...whats the benefit?, just put in another set of rechargables and start over

It sounds like you do have a problem! I hope it is a simple coil fix. I myself love the 8.5x11 coil. I get killer depth and cover a lot more ground. I myself have no trouble in the trash!! I just slow down. In pro mode you should get a great signal,even at 6-8". Ground balance is very, very important with this machine! With the sniper coil you don't get much depth. Good Luck and keep us informed on your machine!

I have only notices loss when ita at about 2 to 1 bar and as you pinpoint it goes all the way down, then its changing out time...i usually when it reached half power change out so im not testing its ability to miss anything.

My rechargables seem to jump from the three to two and then dropping off so they dont last as long as regular batteries but i always carry at least one spare set, mostly two incase its a long day.

When you have rechargables id always recommend two spare sets...i use the pinpointer a lot when im 90 degree sweeping so i prefer to have too many then too few..if i ever have to cut a day short from batteries id be so pissed...

I have never had a problem from them dying out for that reason...if i didnt use the pinpointer as much id probably even run them at two till they went to one but as a treasure hunter magazine article said about the at pro...if your waiting to see if you lose depth...why?...whats the benefit?, just put in another set of rechargables and start over

That's a great point with the rechargables..... I'm probably going to grab a couple sets and not have to worry about wasted batteries.

That's a great point with the rechargables..... I'm probably going to grab a couple sets and not have to worry about wasted batteries.

Spend the couple extra bucks and get the sanyo eneloops. low self discharge rechargables you can store without them going dead.

They charge on a regular NiMH charger. World of difference from the old tech energizers.

Back
Top Bottom