Communion cup dug

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Very strange thing to dig - this brass communion cup in it's velvet bag. I got a typical signal in play sand around the kiddie things and up it comes. Is this a kind of traveling communion service thing ?

What are some of your most unusual finds ? steve in so az

Attachments

• chalice.jpg
    chalice.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 116
:wow: Very impressive looking. Hope my first one is gold though :lol:

Here's my most unusual (ingot) and my least expected(Nazi pin).

I still haven't had the ingot tested to see if it's silver. It definitely looks it and is harder than lead.

Attachments

• DSCN2527.jpg
    DSCN2527.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2526.jpg
    DSCN2526.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2397.JPG
    DSCN2397.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 86
mxt - funny how the pin looks to be made of the same rock. I hope the rock is silver ore - maybe go back for more if it proves out, steve

Steve - that is a strange thing to find. Sadly - I think it's somebody that probably stole it from a church maybe thinking it was gold and then dumping it? :( I would visit any nearby churches and ask.

Ya that was my first thought too was a possible theft may look into it. It is however a cool find i can imagine the feeling you got when you saw the velvet bag.

Did you try to streak test the rock? Try streaking it across an old piece of ceramic material or light colored cement... if it streaks red, you've got hematite. I don't know how it registered on your detector, but it might be worth a try. If that doesn't work, try a magnet on it and see what happens, hematite is magnetic, but so is meteorites. That would be cool if it was a meteorite $$$.

By looking at your test area it appears to be silver. A quick test from a jeweler will tell you. I have seen ingots poured into shapes like this one before.

That chalice is definitely a unique dig. That is amazing. Did you feel like had someone buried it there when you found it?

I'm sure it was buried on purpose - was about 3-4 inches down. The idea of checking with a nearby church is a good one = except I dug it some time back and cannot remember where :( Steve

Definitely a most unusual find. If it was in a play lot, maybe it was lost by a youngster to the chagrin of the parents. You might want to check with mearby christian churches and see if they can narrow down the denomination that may use that style. Might help to narrow it down to a specific church. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom