First Find with my new Ace 250

Sphelt

Well, after much reading these forums, soul-searching and penny counting I finally decided to go with a Ace 250. I decided to give the hobby a good try before spending a ton, and I figure if this is something I really enjoy the ACE 250 would be an excellent back-up to a future upgraded machine. It arrived today!! :yes:

I have read on many posts about the Ace 250 that folks seem to have trouble pinpointing. :!: I decided to create a pinpoint trainer to use. I found a piece of 3/4 inch particleboard roughly 2'x2' square and drilled a tiny hole dead center in it. On one side I used a sharpie and drew a highly visible black dot around the tiny hole. on the other side I taped a quarter directly on the tiny hole (the hole is make sure the quarter is directly under the black dot. After I assembled the detector, did some air test and read the manual I placed the trainer, quarter side down, and proceeded to practice pinpointing with the quarter. I observed where the dot was under the coil when the readings were the highest on the meter while making the "X". After a couple of minutes of practice I felt that I had a pretty good idea where the hot spot under the coil is. (I found that for practicing turning down the sensitivity to one bar really helped)

Now I live in NE Ohio in the snow belt and we have ~3 in of snow right now...but I had to try it. Walked out into my backyard and started to swing, maybe two swings and I had a hit! decided to try my pinpointing skill out and cut a 3-4 in plug in the sod. the meter said the coin was down 6-8 inches so I started to dig. so I dug 6-8 inches! First lesson, check you spoils pile often! :lol: By the time I checked with the Ace again the hit was in the spoils pile not the hole. After squishing much mud I found a 1975 penny, my first find. Not old or valuable, but it made me happy.

By this time my hands were covered in mud and freezing so I decided that the test was a success and went back inside to admire my new riches.

Think I will buy a pinpointer soon.

This is where it starts. Now it's the quest for finding older stuff. Good luck!!!

DB

Congrats on your first find Sphelt !!! I usually figure the depth on my Ace250 about half of what the meter reads, unless it is a beer can, then it rings up at a penny at 2" deep............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one way to do it. Congrats on your first coin. It took me about a week to find my first coin. Then again, I didn't go straight to a schoolyard on my first day, which I should have. I don't know if any machines are really accurate with depth (here come the "Oh, mine is every time") Even my EXP II doesn't seem to be accurate in this regard. Usually I cut all my plugs the size of small shovel head and check the plug first with pinpointer. I do this unless I can tell that by the sound, an object is very near the surface. Then I just carve out a shallow divet and go from there.

The Ace sounds like its going to be a fun machine for you. I still have yet to field test my Tesoro.

congrats on your first find. ive had my ace 250 for almost a year and read a ton of reviews about it before buying it.
its a great detector for the $$!

Very good, I'm new also and sounds similar to my first experience. I think a pin pointer is in my future also. Good luck on future finds! Tom

Hi Sphelt. I've been MD'ing for a couple years with with a twenty year old machine, and just recently upgraded to the ACE 250. So far I love it, and am sure you will too. Looking forward to some pics come spring, -Ed.

Congrats!! and yes a pinpointer is a must!. I recommend either the White's Bullseye II or the Vibra-Probe. Both are tough reliable pinpointers.

See Tony. He'll hook you up!

Hi Sphelt! Sounds like you're gonna have that ACE250 downpat in no time. Good luck with it, you'll make many nice finds together!

Looks like you're off to a good start...once you use the machine a lot you'll learn much more about it...hands-on is the best. ;)

Best of luck! Hank 8)

I also think your idea is a good one. I have the ace 250 and like it a lot.
Good luck on your next dig.

2 cents

Back
Top Bottom