Etrac With Mars Lion 7 DD Coil, Coins On Edge

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
Purchased the Mars lion 7 inch DD coil for my Etrac. Have about 3.5 hours on it now and i am really liking this coil a lot. I took the Etrac to a couple spots that have been pounded for years and i did pretty good. I'm not in any way saying that the Lion is better than everything else out there. But if you are looking for a nice size coil that gets good depth and very nice separation, this one is pretty good. The silver quarter was at 7-8 inches near iron which was nulling out just a couple inches away. I had to work the warble hard to decide to dig but the tone was just so sweet ,, you Etrac users know what i am talking about. One of the Mercs was close to 7 inches and the other silvers were 4-6 range. One of the wheat pennies was around 8 plus and one as shallow as 2 inches, which surprised me. The ID numbers were really good with this coil. One thing I did was compare one of the nickel signals with my Nel sharpshooter and i can say the Lion was extremely solid and no jump at 12-12 where the sharpshooter did not ID quite as well. I was using a very tight nickel pattern and the sharpshooter was on the edge of my disc pattern at times. I ran the trashy park program , with my Fe line open down to 23. Deep on, fast off, neutral ground, high trash, not sure if i was in normal or pitch hold. My sweep speed was slow , like 3 to 3.5 secs per sweep.

I am sure some of these coins were just simply missed in the past, but some of them i know were missed due to nearby iron and probably others sweep speed. But just wanted to say this is a good coil for anybody that needs a smaller coil or has just thought about trying one out.

Took out the Etrac again today and found a heart pendant and a wheat on edge. The interesting thing about it though was the signals on both were extremely clear and rock solid ID. It couldn't have been any better if i were just doing an air test with them. Not broken or jumpy at all, in fact i thought they were going to be a big aluminum can or something. The heart was 12-46 rock solid and the wheat was 12-47 rock solid.

The reason I edited this post was because coins on edge are supposed to be difficult to find. These two were the easiest of the targets i found today.

Attachments

• Merc.jpg
    Merc.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 637
  • Mars lion.jpg
    Mars lion.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 610
  • Wheat on Edge.jpg
    Wheat on Edge.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Heart pendant on edge.jpg
    Heart pendant on edge.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
I don’t have an etrac but I gotta say that’s some pretty impressive results. Congrats!

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

I don’t have an etrac but I gotta say that’s some pretty impressive results. Congrats!

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Thanks, if it is just pure luck then i hope the stars stay aligned for my next hunt!

Good write up,I’ve been looking at that coil too for the last few months..Seems they make it for every machine known and at a fair price..It’s always been my belief that a round coil will go deeper and hit harder than a oval shaped coil.And 7 inch is the perfect simple too..Congrats on the silver finds

Good write up,I’ve been looking at that coil too for the last few months..Seems they make it for every machine known and at a fair price..It’s always been my belief that a round coil will go deeper and hit harder than a oval shaped coil.And 7 inch is the perfect simple too..Congrats on the silver finds

Thanks wood, i bought it thinking it might give me just a little more advantage over my 5 and 6 inch coil. I do have some other coils i will take the time to compare on my next live dig.

Nicely done. I agree that the lion 7" coil is sweet. I got one for the tejon and it impressed me. I was a little hesitant though as I couldn't find much for reviews on it. Just picked up one for my racer 2 but haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.

Nice job. Always like reading about coins on edge. Something challenging about them, that's for sure! I think going slow and methodical helps when finding coins on edge. They are easy to walk over at full swing with any detector.

Nice job. Always like reading about coins on edge. Something challenging about them, that's for sure! I think going slow and methodical helps when finding coins on edge. They are easy to walk over at full swing with any detector.

I was going pretty slow but what was surprising was both were the loudest most obvious signals that day ,, like a big aluminum can. That is why i am posting about it. Something different with this coil than my others , cause coins on edge are jumpy and tonally different , but not this coil so far.

Thanks, good post. I asked for opinions on this coil twice but no one had any to share then.

Back
Top Bottom