Diving with the Equinox 800 Today. Not Happy

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Well I took my short little critter diving today for one dive. Unfortunately it has a flaw. With a 5mm hood on and the volume all the way up I had to really listen to the sounds because it was so quiet.

Wading with it was fine. As a diver it has a major flaw. i am going to email Tony to see if he has any ideas and I am going to email Minelab. It was finding small brass which was fine but I had to stop breathing just to hear the thing.

I might have to buy a pair of Minelab yellow headphones to see if there is a difference and sell one of the pair. For my second dive I went back to the trusty CZ-20. I left the CZ-21's and Tiger Sharks in the truck.

I did find a 1945 merc, a nice silver ring and a small pocket watch. The watch is made by Remontoir Cylindre, says L.M. Swiss inside the cover. Looks like it was a pendant watch.

Two belt buckles, two swim locker tags, two valve stem covers and a few odds and ends were my finds today. Never hit a good pocket of stuff but had fun.

I did get out of the water and noticed I missed two phone calls. One was to find a set of keys and the other was to clear the debris from another air conditioning intake. First one didn't answer. Second one was on my way home and did that. Paid for a few more adventures.

Last edited:
Nice recoveries Scuba. Haven't stuck my head under yet but even so I don't think snorkel breathing is going to be as loud as regulator breathing and scuba bubbles. No hoods over here either :) But hopefully something can be modded to help ya out.

Looks like the CZ is still the Hot ticket!

Sorry to hear scuba on the HP's, I doubt if the yellows are any better.

This is the way equipment gets tested out and improved, glad you are putting in the time to get us all one step ahead if we decide to dive with the eq!

I have been talking to Tony. First he is a stand up guy and is willing to help in anyway he can. I might have to send them back to be modified.

I want everyone to know he really stands behind his product. I will keep you posted as to what the outcome is. I am very content with his service.

I dont know what your headphones look like but you might want to try pulling the rubber cushions off and have the headphone themselves up against your hood.

I've got a modified blue that someone modded the headphones on (bought it on E-bay) and have the same problem the headphones are too quiet. Larry is fixing it for me though. Sound is incredibly important. Also I don't see how I missed that stuff you found. I have to tighten up my grid! :D

I've got a modified blue that someone modded the headphones on (bought it on E-bay) and have the same problem the headphones are too quiet. Larry is fixing it for me though. Sound is incredibly important. Also I don't see how I missed that stuff you found. I have to tighten up my grid! :D

I decided to play way over your head! I can't compete with any bigfoot coil, just won't happen. So I went out to 9' deep and played where waders just can't play.

Tony has been in contact with me and is making me a new pair with some modifications.

I will be selling these. My cost including shipping was 164.00. I will sell them for that much and eat shipping to the first person that really wants them.

GREAT for wading. Not loud enough for me for diving. if you are a wader you will be as happy as a pig in mud. Only used three times. Twice wading and once diving.

The problem is the type of sound driver used. Waterproof phones use piezos instead of speakers. Plus, water is so much harder to drive sound through. Even waterproof phones that sound good up top can become almost silent when diving.

Let us know if the re-created phones work better. If they get your seal of approval I may be buying a set!

The problem is the type of sound driver used. Waterproof phones use piezos instead of speakers. Plus, water is so much harder to drive sound through. Even waterproof phones that sound good up top can become almost silent when diving.

Let us know if the re-created phones work better. If they get your seal of approval I may be buying a set!

I didn't dive with mine, but man are they comfy! The brackets are quite sturdy too. Definatley not worried about them easily snapping like the ML yellows

I test wired my old set of grey ghost Amphibians from my CTX and they don't sound like they have any bass at all and that is with the VOL at 25.
I guess you would describe it as Tinny sounding.
Have to see what others say about the minelab set coming out.

I didn't dive with mine, but man are they comfy! The brackets are quite sturdy too. Definatley not worried about them easily snapping like the ML yellows

I totally agree. They stop all noise while wading and you can concentrate on what you are doing. Kevin tried to talk to me but I was unable to hear him.

I don't know what kind of speakers Tony used and asked him. BUT even while wading I have to have the volume of the machine at 25. I don't think Minelab had a diver with a hood on test the Equinox out.

With my CZ's wading the volume is at the most 4. Diving it is always on 10.

I sent off an email to Minelab also. I THINK the problem is two fold.

Yea they are comfy for sure. Solid and mute a lot of the outside noise. Didn't even have to pretend like I didn't hear the gawkers walking by :laughing: :roll: Tony seems like a really good guy, let us know how it works out.

Since you mentioned the CZ-21, I don't think I ever push the volume past 4 :) Anything more than that above water and those pennies will tear my head off. ;) Being frugal I like to hope that staying below the volume boost will save batteries too :grin:

I have been talking to Tony. First he is a stand up guy and is willing to help in anyway he can. I might have to send them back to be modified.

I want everyone to know he really stands behind his product. I will keep you posted as to what the outcome is. I am very content with his service.

I can tell you right now what will make them louder, goes as thin as possible on the piezo plate. (That's what the piezo is mounted to) The plastic I use is paper thin and once mounted in place is as strong as a thicker plastic. A lot more work but the difference is like Night compared to Day. The thinner, more the reverb and less work for the piezo.

Also I'm not sure what piezo he is using and even if this one is compatible with the Nox but this is what I use for the excalibur. Link for

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/APS4812B-LW100-R/668-1190-ND/1738483

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 915
I totally agree. They stop all noise while wading and you can concentrate on what you are doing. Kevin tried to talk to me but I was unable to hear him.

I don't know what kind of speakers Tony used and asked him. BUT even while wading I have to have the volume of the machine at 25. I don't think Minelab had a diver with a hood on test the Equinox out.

With my CZ's wading the volume is at the most 4. Diving it is always on 10.

I sent off an email to Minelab also. I THINK the problem is two fold.

At the Risk of sounding completely Stupid..

Would a simple mod of the Hood, as in Cutting a small hole at the ears help?

I can tell you right now what will make them louder, goes as thin as possible on the piezo plate. (That's what the piezo is mounted to) The plastic I use is paper thin and once mounted in place is as strong as a thicker plastic. A lot more work but the difference is like Night compared to Day. The thinner, more the reverb and less work for the piezo.

Also I'm not sure what piezo he is using and even if this one is compatible with the Nox but this is what I use for the excalibur. Link for

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/APS4812B-LW100-R/668-1190-ND/1738483

OBN, I sent you a PM. I really appreciate the info but do not know what he uses and do not want to stir the pot and upset him by even insulating he might not have the right combination of material.

Thanks all for your replies. This is going to be a killer machine I hope and give me a bit more firepower in some of my spots.

Back
Top Bottom