Rechargeable batteries???

Jlucas

I know it's been talked about over and over but I was wanting to know what the best AAs and 9Vs that are rechargeable I can use for the AT Pro would be? Just getting tired of spending money on Duracell lol. They are great but the $s add up when you're constantly swinging like my friends and I haha. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

I have been using eneloop AA in my ace and AT Pro. I charge them generally Friday night, hunt somewhere around 20-30 hrs till the next Friday.

I tried them (Eneloop, Tenergy) and I don't think your AT Pro performs at it's best using them. They work, sure but I don't think they work very well.

I tried a package of Energizer ultimate lithium batteries a couple years ago and now I won't use anything else. Lithium's last a long time and you will get consistent hyper performance out of your AT Pro using them. More depth and harder hitting on targets.

Rechargeable batteries start out at full bars on your battery gauge, drop quickly down to middle bars and stay there until they slowly die. Lithium's stay at full bars the entire time and drop like a rock when they die, literally full bars to nothing in minutes. I saw enough of a difference I will not bother with rechargeable batteries in my metal detectors anymore I put them in flashlights and other tools that don't matter.

You can get sealed packs of energizer ultimate lithiums for around $5 a 4 pack or better off ebay. I snipe batteries all winter long and have a years supply by spring. Just make sure they are in sealed packs and not loose.

Good hunting to you! :grin:

I tried them (Eneloop, Tenergy) and I don't think your AT Pro performs at it's best using them. They work, sure but I don't think they work very well. I tried a package of Energizer ultimate lithium batteries a couple years ago and now I won't use anything else. Lithium's last a long time and you will get consistent hyper performance out of your AT Pro using them. More depth and harder hitting on targets. Rechargeable batteries start out at full bars on your battery gauge, drop quickly down to middle bars and stay there until they slowly die. Lithium's stay at full bars the entire time and drop like a rock when they die, literally full bars to nothing in minutes. I saw enough of a difference I will not bother with rechargeable batteries in my metal detectors anymore I put them in flashlights and other tools that don't matter.You can get sealed packs of energizer ultimate lithiums for around $5 a 4 pack or better off ebay. I snipe batteries all winter long and have a years supply by spring. Just make sure they are in sealed packs and not loose. Good hunting to you! :grin:

Irons, I agree with you. And we have had this discussion before too. The Energizer ultimate lithium hold up longer in cold weather too. Say you put a pirate hat on your avator "unga bunga" :lol: cool :cool:

Got my charger and batteries at Amazon.com:

Attachments

• AA Charger.jpg
    AA Charger.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 627
Irons, I agree with you. And we have had this discussion before too. The Energizer ultimate lithium hold up longer in cold weather too. Say you put a pirate hat on your avator "unga bunga" :lol: cool :cool:

I forgot about the cold weather advantage they have I have been using them for so long. I am all about my machine running at it's peak all the time.
Yep, lithium's are not affected by cold. :grin:

I agree with Irons...When it comes to the Pro, it sure does NOT like half deads!

I woulda got them long ago except for this issue...

I bet they are great in other rigs like the F series or Teknetics since those things will run on a trickle...

Mud

I use the Energizer NiMH rechargeables in my ATP

They last a very long time, I'd say 25 hrs or so. Have had no problem with them - been using them for over 2 years now. I do not notice the quick drop off from full charge to dead like someone else mentioned

Notice no difference with them vs alkalines

I use rechargeable batteries in all my detectors

They last a very long time, I'd say 25 hrs or so. Have had no problem with them - been using them for over 2 years now. I do not notice the quick drop off from full charge to dead like someone else mentioned

Same here. I have two sets that I will swap when I get down to one bar. I've been very happy with them.

I agree been using them couple years with no issues at all

Thanks everyone for the replies. I live in Ky so we definitely get cold weather at times but to my advantage I like the cold so it doesn't stop me from getting out and swinging haha. I just want the best I can get because of the ATP don't like to operate on low batteries and just getting kinda tired of constantly buying lol

Thanks everyone for the replies. I live in Ky so we definitely get cold weather at times but to my advantage I like the cold so it doesn't stop me from getting out and swinging haha. I just want the best I can get because of the ATP don't like to operate on low batteries and just getting kinda tired of constantly buying lol

Rechargeables and faghettaboutit:yes:

Really doubt there is any real difference in the detector's performance, with fresh, most expensive, disposable batteries, and cheap rechargeables. Runtime should be the only issue. Have to be a really poorly, and under powered device, to have issues. You need a stable, regulated power source for digital electronics.

For me, rechargeables work fine, I only hunt, maybe 2 hours or so at a time, get several hunts, before recharging. Some people hunt all day, may need to swap out batteries out in the field. Runtime might be an issue for these people, specially if they are in some sort of sport competition. I just hobby hunt, just for fun, just for me, not looking to get rich, or racing against a credit card bill. Throwing away an 8-pack of AAs every month just doesn't make sense to me, annoying to remember to keep buying them, or have to make a special stop, before I can go out for a quick hunt. Chasing those sales...

Rechargeable batteries are a little different, you have to take care of them, if you want them to last a long time (years). If you run them, until they die, leave them sit around for weeks, until you are ready to hunt, before charging them. you are going to reduce the lifetime of those batteries. They do best, if kept charged. Those timer-based chargers, specially those "Fast" chargers, are also lifetime killers, the let the batteries get hot, which damages the chemistry. The battery companies don't want you to use the same set for years, they want to keep selling you more batteries. I'm going on 4 years, for the same set of Duracell batteries I bought for my Tesoro DeLeon. I've used other batteries occasionally, if I have some handy, but don't see any functional difference in the detector. Alkaline batteries last considerably longer, then you throw them away.

Really doubt there is any real difference in the detector's performance, with fresh, most expensive, disposable batteries, and cheap rechargeables. Runtime should be the only issue. Have to be a really poorly, and under powered device, to have issues. You need a stable, regulated power source for digital electronics.

For me, rechargeables work fine, I only hunt, maybe 2 hours or so at a time, get several hunts, before recharging. Some people hunt all day, may need to swap out batteries out in the field. Runtime might be an issue for these people, specially if they are in some sort of sport competition. I just hobby hunt, just for fun, just for me, not looking to get rich, or racing against a credit card bill. Throwing away an 8-pack of AAs every month just doesn't make sense to me, annoying to remember to keep buying them, or have to make a special stop, before I can go out for a quick hunt. Chasing those sales...

Rechargeable batteries are a little different, you have to take care of them, if you want them to last a long time (years). If you run them, until they die, leave them sit around for weeks, until you are ready to hunt, before charging them. you are going to reduce the lifetime of those batteries. They do best, if kept charged. Those timer-based chargers, specially those "Fast" chargers, are also lifetime killers, the let the batteries get hot, which damages the chemistry. The battery companies don't want you to use the same set for years, they want to keep selling you more batteries. I'm going on 4 years, for the same set of Duracell batteries I bought for my Tesoro DeLeon. I've used other batteries occasionally, if I have some handy, but don't see any functional difference in the detector. Alkaline batteries last considerably longer, then you throw them away.

I'm not about getting rich neither but take my hunting very serious. I love being out with friends, seeing who gets the best find of the day and digging up some good history. Like I say none of us are looking to get rich by any means but I do want my detector to work at its full potential and the cheapest way to do so haha. Really thought that rechargeable ones would cut down on the expenses some but your only as good as your equipment they say lol. After serving in the military you really understand the meaning of that lol. Thanks for the input

The ATPro uses 4 AA right? Where does the 9V come in?

Mixed reviews on using rechargables in the ATPro, so you're on your own there. Can't argue that AA lithiums are your best bet for long life at full power, and better in VERY cold wether, but pricey in my opinion, even if you can find them $5/4. Best value is to shop around and stock up on Ray-o-vac or other "2nd tier" alkalines for $1/4. Worst case, each set will last half as long as lithiums, so that same $5 will let you run 2.5 times longer.

Rechargeable 9V I recommend li-ion. They can be found with enough capacity to run as long as a 9V alkaline. Nimh 9V are lucky to run 1/2 as long as an alkaline. Alkaline 9V are ridiculously overpriced, so rechargables pay for themselves pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom