Would an AT Pro be an upgrade for me ?

Dakotademon7

Forum Supporter
I have been reading a lot of great stuff about the AT Pro and wouldn't mind having one but I'm feeling it may be a down grade over my Minelab listed in my sig. I like how the AT Pro has more modern features but I don't want to down grade in performance. Looking for input on this.

Depends on where at what you want to hunt. At pro with 5x8 coil is a very hard to beat machine. I Own Other Machines I Got After My At Pro That I Spent A Lot More Money On But Will Never Let The At Pro go.

I have been reading a lot of great stuff about the AT Pro and wouldn't mind having one but I'm feeling it may be a down grade over my Minelab listed in my sig. I like how the AT Pro has more modern features but I don't want to down grade in performance. Looking for input on this.

Those sovereigns have quite the reputation of being unequaled in the wet/dry sand.. If you hunt salt beaches the ATP will not help you there at all...

<°)))>{

To each their own. I don't think (in my opinion) that would be a down grade. I've always said my Pro can hang with any of the big boys. Its not let me down yet.

Hard to know without having used the Sovereign xs. I do know that stock vs. stock the AT Pro will beat the X-terra 70 in my soil on deeper smaller targets. And do it really well in trash on top of that. I saw my hunting buddy pull out good targets one right after the other out of some trashy ground that we had already been over several times. The first day I used the AT Pro I really wasn't too impressed with it but I honestly didn't give it a fair chance either. I just mainly run over a new site with it and really wasn't trying to learn the machine. Not even sure why I went. I guess because I didn't want it to do better then my X-terra 70. The more I spend time with it the more I love it and I thought I would never like another machine better the the X-terra 70.
I do know the Garrett has some of the best customer service in the business while Minelab has what I would consider the worst customer service.
You can also get the AT Pro wet which is a huge plus if you ever want to get in the water with it. I hunted in the rain one day with my hunting buddy's AT Pro and I loved not having to cover the machine up. Almost seemed like I was free. :lol:

It would honestly be hard to tell if it is a downgrade or not because unless a person hunts like you do in the same area that you hunt then how can a person compare? I know for me the choice is pretty clear on what my next machine will be.

You have a Sovereign, one of the best go anywhere detectors ever made. Put a meter on one and it's deadly in the dirt on the deep targets...The AT Pro is a good detector but it would be a downgrade in your case.

You have a Sovereign, one of the best go anywhere detectors ever made. Put a meter on one and it's deadly in the dirt on the deep targets...The AT Pro is a good detector but it would be a downgrade in your case.

I do have the digital meter on it. I may still get one maybe next year. I was watching some vids on the AT Pro and it looked like it's fun to use. I like how the AT Pro has the meter to tell you how deep it is. I don't know my detector well enough yet to understand how deep a target is.

95414-om-nom-nom-popcorn-gif-eating-cjgZ.gif

95414-om-nom-nom-popcorn-gif-eating-cjgZ.gif

I have been on forums long enough to not let it get to that point. I have no problem closing my own thread when needed.

Thanks to the members that gave there input. Like said before, I'm new to this and am trying to learn and understand.

I have been on forums long enough to not let it get to that point. I have no problem closing my own thread when needed.

Thanks to the members that gave there input. Like said before, I'm new to this and am trying to learn and understand.

Things must have calmed down around here, not too long ago a thread title like this would have resulted in a 4 page fight being closed by a mod. :laughing:

I would definitely keep your sovereign for salt beach hunting they are one of the best machines there is for that.

AT Pro's are a lot of fun, what I think makes them so effective is their lightning fast recovery speed between targets. With the 5x8 coil in a old trashy park they can hit and identify so many targets per swing it can be a bit overwhelming.
But once it clicks with you, figure 100 hours, they are amazing machines. Look at how many folks who have had them for 3 or more seasons swear by them now.

Good luck and good hunting to you! :grin:

Keep the Sov always as those suckers are deep and have a great place in your arsenal. The Garrett AT Pro is a HECK of a detector though!

Great plan! The sov is a beast!

The main thing I like about the AT Pro is that it looks like it gives more info on a target. I'm new to my SOV so I'm not sure what it's telling me yet. At this point, I just know there is a target. I know I need to spend more time reading up on it and practice with tones and depths. That's the parts of it that I don't really understand at this point. I just about got pinpointing down with it.

Don't make the mistake alot of guys make, back on your heels an undecided... get the ATP and you will not regret it.

Ask 1000 people you get 1000 answers. Get what works for YOU and what you WANT.

Great thing about the ATP is when you want to sell it, it won't be posted in an ad longer than a few hours...resale is great on them.

Doubt you'd sell it though. Until you put one in your own hands you will not know if it was an upgrade or not.

Sometimes people put too much stock in what others say about detecting equipment. It's fine to ask around, but as I said, until YOU try it and do things your way you'll never "really" know.

Someone told me the Teknetics delta4000 was a good machine, I got one, then another then another, none of them were good machines. I gave them a try, but the discrimination on them left alotttttt to be desired.

I based my decision to get one on somone elses opinion, an opinion that I came to learn to be misinformed.

I wouldn't know that though until I had one in my hands and tried it for myself, all 3 of them. Hey, i gave it a fair chance, but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Get your ATP, quit wasting time because you're missing out on some goodies!!!

Back
Top Bottom