Please Help Pick First Detector Under $800

DjShift

Hi,

First post here. Actually just decided i want to start detecting like 5 days ago after finding an old, $30 metal detector in my basement and trying it out (with no results and just a ton of false ringing sounds). I want to start out my hobby with a good detector though so i've come here in hopes of some help. Now, i do live in a rather boring area, but it's one with lots of history. Upstate New York. In a tiny little town where there's absolutely nothing to do other than go to the bars (if you're 21, which i'm not) and go sailing on a lake. But my town is one of the sites of the war of 1812, the underground railroad, and was one of the biggest biker hangouts of the early 1900's. We also have gold! And lots of buried canon-balls.

But anyways, what i'm really looking for is a fairly good metal detector for under $800. One i won't want to replace by the end of the year. I would be searching on the beach and land (and some very tough dirt). I'm mainly looking for silver coins but would like one that wouldn't pass up gold if i were to go over it (nuggets would be a plus but not a must, i do have a stream rumored to have had gold in my back yard). And i don't care too much about the depth or weight (how deep would a coin normally be? I really have no clue).

I was looking at the Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro but i also don't really have any clue what i'm supposed to be looking for. Would probably also pick up a Makro or Garrett pinpointer at the same time.

For that lake in the water and land, if you want silver and gold jewelry the ATP would be a great choice...

Call a sponsor here for the best prices!

<°)))>{

For that lake in the water and land, if you want silver and gold jewelry the ATP would be a great choice...

Call a sponsor here for the best prices!

<°)))>{

By ATP, you mean the Garrett AT Pro right? I don't really know the abbreviations but that's what came up with a google search of "ATP Metal Detector."

And at that price, what about the Garrett AT Gold? It claims to also let you find gold nuggets but would that hinder my search for silver and coins as well? Can the AT Pro detect nuggets?

For the price range and the type of hunting you are looking to do I would suggest the AT PRO. You will be able to somewhat go to the beach and its a heck of an inland detector that hits great on gold and silver. ATP is best detector for the money cause it is also waterproof to 10' of water, deep and accurate on coins. You will not feel the will to upgrade anytime soon either. Don't forget to get the 5x8 coil for it also cause it is a game changer and a must have. Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies he will hook you up.

For the price range and the type of hunting you are looking to do I would suggest the AT PRO. You will be able to somewhat go to the beach and its a heck of an inland detector that hits great on gold and silver. ATP is best detector for the money cause it is also waterproof to 10' of water, deep and accurate on coins. You will not feel the will to upgrade anytime soon either. Don't forget to get the 5x8 coil for it also cause it is a game changer and a must have. Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies he will hook you up.

All that^^^^

<°)))>{

Ive had the ATpro and its a great detector! However Fisher came out with the new racer line that you may want to consider. I never had one but you may want toook into some reviews.

I'd get yourself and AT pro with 2 coils, pinpointer, and lesche. You'll be all set. It offer easy for beginner features but then can become more advanced as you become so as well.

An Xterra 705 would be good too if you ever do any true prospecting for gold. But you could always add a dedicated machine later if you go that route.

I don't sell either but I'm sure other sponsors could set you up.

I'd get yourself and AT pro with 2 coils, pinpointer, and lesche. You'll be all set. It offer easy for beginner features but then can become more advanced as you become so as well.

An Xterra 705 would be good too if you ever do any true prospecting for gold. But you could always add a dedicated machine later if you go that route.

I don't sell either but I'm sure other sponsors could set you up.

Good post. You cant go wrong with a Garrett AT Pro! best machine for the $ out!

The Whites MXT would be another option for you. It is very simple to use and has a prospecting mode. I have used the recommended machines above and although they are good machines, the MXT will outperform them in my soil. Whites detectors are made in the USA and their customer service is IMHO the best in the hobby. If you want 7 tone ID and a backlight, then you will have to move up to the MXT Pro or All Pro. You might also take a look at the Whites M6. I use mine with a small coil in trashy areas as a coinshooter and it's hard to beat. It is even more simple than the MXT and has 7 Tone ID. I know I sound like a Whites dealer but I'm not. I'm just a guy that has owned more than 20 detectors and always came back to what works for me. Most detectors including the the BH will find coins on dry land and from there it's just personal preference if depth and weight is not an isuue as you stated. If you plan to submerge the detector then of course, the AT Pro would be your logical choice in your price range. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the hobby.

AT-Gold

Hi,

First post here. Actually just decided i want to start detecting like 5 days ago after finding an old, $30 metal detector in my basement and trying it out (with no results and just a ton of false ringing sounds). I want to start out my hobby with a good detector though so i've come here in hopes of some help. Now, i do live in a rather boring area, but it's one with lots of history. Upstate New York. In a tiny little town where there's absolutely nothing to do other than go to the bars (if you're 21, which i'm not) and go sailing on a lake. But my town is one of the sites of the war of 1812, the underground railroad, and was one of the biggest biker hangouts of the early 1900's. We also have gold! And lots of buried canon-balls.

But anyways, what i'm really looking for is a fairly good metal detector for under $800. One i won't want to replace by the end of the year. I would be searching on the beach and land (and some very tough dirt). I'm mainly looking for silver coins but would like one that wouldn't pass up gold if i were to go over it (nuggets would be a plus but not a must, i do have a stream rumored to have had gold in my back yard). And i don't care too much about the depth or weight (how deep would a coin normally be? I really have no clue).

I was looking at the Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro but i also don't really have any clue what i'm supposed to be looking for. Would probably also pick up a Makro or Garrett pinpointer at the same time.

The AT -Gold is great for coins and Gold nuggets and would work great for your fresh water hunts. we also have free shipping and free MetalDetecting kits give me a call if you need more details
thanks

Hi,

Hi Djshift and welcome to the forum! :D I am 19 as well, I use an AT Pro (had an Ace 350 before that) and a Garrett Pro Pointer. I recommend the AT Pro, then you'll still have some money left over for a finds pouch, Pro Pointer, etc.

AT PRO all the way, plus 5x8 coil, plus propointer, plus Lesche.
Should leave you with enough cash to get a Buzz leather sheath:yes:
You can read hundreds of "how-to" tips on this site also.

Ive had the ATpro and its a great detector! However Fisher came out with the new racer line that you may want to consider. I never had one but you may want toook into some reviews.

What are they called? I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.

The Whites MXT would be another option for you. It is very simple to use and has a prospecting mode. I have used the recommended machines above and although they are good machines, the MXT will outperform them in my soil. Whites detectors are made in the USA and their customer service is IMHO the best in the hobby. If you want 7 tone ID and a backlight, then you will have to move up to the MXT Pro or All Pro. You might also take a look at the Whites M6. I use mine with a small coil in trashy areas as a coinshooter and it's hard to beat. It is even more simple than the MXT and has 7 Tone ID. I know I sound like a Whites dealer but I'm not. I'm just a guy that has owned more than 20 detectors and always came back to what works for me. Most detectors including the the BH will find coins on dry land and from there it's just personal preference if depth and weight is not an isuue as you stated. If you plan to submerge the detector then of course, the AT Pro would be your logical choice in your price range. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the hobby.

Just looked that one up as well. Definitely another one to consider. I saw it's not water proof though, does that mean if it rains or accidentally touches the lake it's gone?

If you are thinking of hunting in the water some day, like creeks and lakes..

You're going to want an ATP, the Marko Racer is not waterproof..

<°)))>{

I don't know know how small you're thinking but I have found earring backs, and a .2 gram gold earring already..

Found two more golds today as well, the smallest was .5 grams..

<°)))>{

I have never hunted anywhere other than the local area I hunt but the AT Pro seems to do really good here. I have been using my hunting buddy's machine off and on and I really like this machine. Some say it will pick up gold chains where most other machines will not. Garrett has some of the best customer service in the industry and is made in the U.S.A. Great down to earth people. I know this is without a doubt the next machine I will own and if it wasn't for something that came up last minute I would already own one. Call BigBoysHobbies.net and tell him to fix you up with the BushWhacker Special. :laughing: No seriously call BigBoysHobbies.net and have him set you up with an AT Pro, Pro Pointer AT(If your getting a waterproof machine you might as well have a waterproof pin pointer.) and a coil cover(These things are a must for me. I don't know why these aren't included with the coils from the factories because to me they are that important.). The best thing about BigBoysHobbies.net is that you can mix and match name brand items to get the best possible price and package instead of overinflated cheap junk like you get at some places.

Back
Top Bottom