Fisher F2, Garret Ace 250 Vs the F4 and Ace 350

DashHopes

Forum Supporter
So I narrowed it down to the Fisher F2 and Ace 250 for my first detector. But Ive found some fairly good priced used F4 and Ace 350's. Now I'm a total green around the gills newbie, so this question may seem crazy and I'm sorry for that in advance lol.
So is it worth it to spend around $40 to $60 more for a used F4 or Ace 350 or just stick to buying a new F2 or ace 250?

Thank you for the help, and I'm loving the forum.

Spend the extra money and get the F4. It is a good machine and you will find a lot with it. I recommend staying away from the 250 and 350. You get sooooo much more information by having a machine that has numbers instead of just cursors. The F4 is deep enough to get the old stuff. Just dig a lot at first so you can learn the machine. Nothing against the F2. It is good also, but if you can get an F4 for a few bucks more it is worth it.

So I narrowed it down to the Fisher F2 and Ace 250 for my first detector. But Ive found some fairly good priced used F4 and Ace 350's. Now I'm a total green around the gills newbie, so this question may seem crazy and I'm sorry for that in advance lol.
So is it worth it to spend around $40 to $60 more for a used F4 or Ace 350 or just stick to buying a new F2 or ace 250?

In my opinion no. The Fisher F4 has a ground balance but it does not carry over to discrimination mode. Does have a bigger 11" DD coil though.

The Fisher F2 had a great recovery speed, target ID and a 5 year warranty. It would be my pick.

Feel free to call me with questions!

I've had my F2 for almost a year and a half now, and IMO it's a good starter to intermediate machine, and I can give you my impression of it. Can't comment on the F4 as I haven't used one.

I have to say after using the F2 this long I'm now thinking about upgrading, but not due to any lack of the machine's ability or features, only because Fisher is coming out pretty soon with a weatherproof F44 machine that would make more sense for me. I like hunting when it's not hot out, and that means hunting in light rain in my neck of the woods. I'm still learning things with the F2 and I hunt a lot, so I think you could reasonably expect to spend a year or two learning the machine fully.

To me, the best points of the F2 are the 4 distinct tones and the display that tells you much more than the Ace 250 screen will, it's very simple to use, and it's very lightweight. I've used my husband's Ace 250 and just don't like it as much although it's a fine machine too. Hope this helps.

I think you get the most bang for your buck with an F2. The 250 Garrett is a good machine but you get more audio and visual info with the F2. Unless the F4 is the same money or less I wouldn't get it. it offers no real advantage I can see over the F2. If you want an upgraded Fisher at least go up to the F5, it is a knob tweakers dream.:lol: I've used a lot of detectors over the years and it is just hard to beat the F2 for features vs cost. I sold my F2 to a good friend to replace his BH and I think he has found 34 silver coins with it so far. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

I would choose the F2

It is an affordable, easy to learn, fun detector to use. It takes no time at all to learn how to use it, and once you get used to the VDI and tones you will find more and more treasures.

You can use it to find relics, jewelry, coins. And let me tell you it is a coin killer. It will find you as much as some high end detectors. I have found coins
to about 7-8"deep and some bigger things much deeper.

With 3 different stock coils available (4" 8" and 10") at a very reasonable price you will be able to detect anything.

Most of the sponsors on here have various F2 packages - check them out before you go to ebay.

All in all it is a very reliable, affordable and fun detector to use.

In my opinion no. The Fisher F4 has a ground balance but it does not carry over to discrimination mode. Does have a bigger 11" DD coil though.

The Fisher F2 had a great recovery speed, target ID and a 5 year warranty. It would be my pick.

Feel free to call me with questions!

Bought and payed for. I went with the Fisher F2 3 Coil Combo Kit
Thank you

Bought and payed for. I went with the Fisher F2 3 Coil Combo Kit
Thank you

Good choice, most of the best finds and experiences I had in this hobby came when I was walking behind and swinging an F2.
I found fantastic stuff using all 3 coils but way more when I switched to using the sniper.
The sniper is the best and easiest coil to learn this thing on, also.

Some helpful info here, check out the F2 section...start reading.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=175136

Spend the extra money and get the F4. It is a good machine and you will find a lot with it. I recommend staying away from the 250 and 350. You get sooooo much more information by having a machine that has numbers instead of just cursors. The F4 is deep enough to get the old stuff. Just dig a lot at first so you can learn the machine. Nothing against the F2. It is good also, but if you can get an F4 for a few bucks more it is worth it.

+1:yes:

New Ace 250

DashHopes

I had a customer yesterday who tested the ACE 250 in my shop and it pick up a tiny gold ring really well. I would spend the extra money and get your warranty with what ever detector you choose.
Any questions give me a call . We also have Metaldetecting kits free with your purchase.

I made it down to Vermont! So guess what I got?
Now to wait till morning to put it together when the kiddies are still asleep :)

Back
Top Bottom