$25 PVC sand scoop

Gatchaman

Heading to the beach twice in a few weeks, decided to make a sand scoop. A neighbor of mine put a pair of crutches out for trash a month or so ago, glad I grabbed them! It's tough and pretty light. Based off the design from Pat in Hawaii.

PVCSandScoop.jpg

Heading to the beach twice in a few weeks, decided to make a sand scoop. A neighbor of mine put a pair of crutches out for trash a month or so ago, glad I grabbed them! It's tough and pretty light. Based off the design from Pat in Hawaii.

PVCSandScoop.jpg

Nice, Made one of those myself, easy, light....oh and cheap!!

The PVC pipe itself I cut with my dremmel, then sanded with my sand dremmel to create the edges. I then drilled the holes (no real pattern). I honestly didn't spend a lot of time on either of these parts.

The PVC is attached with a 5/8 Sleeve anchor from Home Depot. The outer 'shell' of the anchor was cut about an inch off to expose more of the bolts thread. This was needed so it could go though both the outside washer, the PVC and the inner washer.

173565c3-937f-40b2-a963-842c76ec9563_300.jpg

The bolt was hammered into the crutch by using another bolt and hitting the direct inside of the anchor bolt. You can't just hammer the end of the bolt or the threads will get mashed up and you can't remove the nut to install it... learned that the hard way (yep, was back to home depot for another anchor and cutting off another side of the crutch).

Both washer, outer and inner, are actually 1 and 1/2 washers. I cut a washer in half and used some JB weld to stick them together. I did this so the crutch would set 'back' a little more instead of such a straight up angle and would be easier to dig. The hole for the scoop is angled a little as well.

Once I tightened the bolt (it's not going anywhere) I used some hot glue to seal it. Probably not needed, but I had the glue out anyhow to attach 2 magnets (taken out of a dead hard drive).

I spray painted the whole thing with a can of metallic paint I had in the garage from a previous project. The handle btw is a bike handle grip from Amazon. I used some hot glue to make it stay in place as it was thicker than the crutch. A few lines of glue around the shaft did the trick.

The cage in the back is form home depot as well, chicken wire or something or another. Its in the garden area. Cut a piece off, fold it over, put the clamp on and trim.

PVCSandScoop2.jpg

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom