* Return Visit *

meggie

Elite Member
I wasn't able to get back to the beach on Monday where I found the 9 rings last Sunday but made the effort today.

The washout had completely disappeared so it was back to the drawing board again.

I investigated an area known for black mud just underneath the sand and here I scored a couple of old looking sinkers,so I'm thinking I'm on the money here .. but not to be today.

After last nights high tide I had a poke around the sand up near this mark & did score a few coins & finally a small corroded signet ring .. 9ct with UK hallmarks,weight just 3 grams.

It took a bit of effort to clean it up but after a session on the Dremel it's looking much better now.:cool:

Meggie ...

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPGa.jpg
    IMG_0321.JPGa.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0328.JPGa.jpg
    IMG_0328.JPGa.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0344.JPGa.jpg
    IMG_0344.JPGa.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 330
cleaned up very nice, Meg, that is the way it goes,,,find an area and keep swinging until it fills in or the machine stops beeping, you are doing very well and will find the next hole,,,,GL HH

Dang Meggie you are unstoppable!

Those Australians that are wandering around in the desert looking for gold nuggets are doing it wrong. :lol:

Awesome Before & After Photo.

You need to give us a step by step lesson in your ring cleaning process! Seriously

I use a standard Dremel tool mounted in a holding stand fitted with a stitched polishing wheel.
I run it at a low speed,lightly coat the polishing pad with a polishing compound and then gently work the ring on the pad,slowly turning until complete .. if the ring gets too hot just hold it with a cloth.
Badly scratched rings may need a couple or more sessions.
I then finish off with a jewelers polishing cloth.
The whole process doesn't take too long & is not difficult to master .. it sure brings them up nice & new looking.:cool:

Meggie ...

Attachments

• IMG_0238aa.jpg
    IMG_0238aa.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Stitched Polishing Wheel .JPG
    Stitched Polishing Wheel .JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 232
Nice job, I know how you feel about the dissapearing cuts, really makes you wonder whats just under the surface sometimes.

Very nice polishing skills, I didnt think those scratches would come out of the signet :D:yes:

Back
Top Bottom