New to MD

Tony71502

Hi all,

I've been lurking around and am very interested in getting into detecting. I was wondering what you guys think about the bounty hunter 505? There is one on craigslist and the guy lives right by me. He wants $150 for it. Supposedly only used once and comes with the manual. It looks like it has been well taken care of.

Are these MD's good for beginners? Eventually I think I would get a better one if the hobby sticks. I'm really excited to go digging. :yes:

Thanks for any input. Anyone else in the Pittsburgh area?

Agree.

Compadre, no screen but learn the language and it finds you much.

If you do want a screen something with actual VDI numbers is much more helpful than just icons.

Attachments

• Bounty_Hunter_Pioneer_505_Metal_Detector_1.jpg
    Bounty_Hunter_Pioneer_505_Metal_Detector_1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 340
  • fisher-f2-controls.jpg
    fisher-f2-controls.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 246
  • F2-facePlate.jpg
    F2-facePlate.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 265
Thanks for the info. The F2 seems like it may be the best bet. How fast does it go through batteries? Or is it rechargeable? I have the rechargeable batteries but if it eats them quickly I may need a second set.

What are VDI numbers?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. The F2 seems like it may be the best bet. How fast does it go through batteries? Or is it rechargeable? I have the rechargeable batteries but if it eats them quickly I may need a second set.

What are VDI numbers?

Thanks!

Some detectors just point to an icon on the screen, with the F2 you get that plus numbers that relate to different targets.

Not everything is correct all the time, (when it says 24 and foil it could be a gold ring instead), but they are very helpful and the more info you have the better guesses you can make on what to dig.

Example for the F2, we call this a cheat sheet.

COINS

zinc penny..................59-62
copper penny..............70-71
clad dime.....................71-73
nickel...........................33
clad quarter..................80-82
half dollar.....................89-91
large dollar....................92
Indian head penny.........zinc
war nickel......................34-35
Gold coins can actually come in anywhere from foil on up including under dimes or quarters depending on the size.

Silver coins, add one number to each reading, minimum.
For example a silver quarter, 83 vs 82.

Coin spills will be a combination of numbers depending on the content and amount of coins.
multiple zinc pennies........over 62
2 dimes..............................74-76
3 dimes...............................76-78
2 quarters............................86
3 quarters.............................88
Different combinations will be a lower number than the largest coin in the group.
Example...A quarter, a dime and a zincoln could be in the 70's, there will be little bouncing unless they are spread out over a few inches, and you should get a solid tone.

RELICS

Depth will affect these numbers
2 ringer ..........59-65
3 ringer ..........55-65...I found one and it was a 61 just like a zincoln
eagle button ...51-65
flat coat button 64-67
musket balls......tabs
mini balls..........foil on up

Back
Top Bottom