Hmmm, is this a warning sign from the bank about CRHing?...

Midknight

Elite Member
I use a national bank to get my CRHing fix from. Today, when I got my third box of nickels (5 boxes of coins total since beginning CRHing) the teller I went to asked if I had a business account and if I was going to be getting coin boxes often. Of course, this immediately aroused my suspicions of bad news, so I told I did not have a business account with them and that I would be buying about a box of coins from them a week for the time being. Then, I kindly asked her if it was against bank policy to give boxes of rolled coins to bank members. She replied that normally they are only supposed to give coins to business clients (which have a special line up to the teller).

I then said I did not mean to cause the bank any trouble for buying up their boxes, and she asked out of curiosity what it is I do with the coins, so I explained to her exactly what I was doing with them, and again asked if this was a problem, to which she replied no, its just that the manager had mentioned me to this teller as well as the plastic bank box that I was supposed to bring back this week. I, of course, did bring back the plastic box today to the teller. It was the first thing I did actually as to earn myself some good faith points today.

So, what I gathered from this conversation is that they don't mind it... yet? Yes, the teller said I could continue to buy the boxes of coins, but she also mentioned that they were mainly for businesses.

What is your take on this? In the clear, or the curtain is closing?

KT feels you should not get to concerned with the bank....so long as they let you buy, no worries. What is normal anywho? Is it normal that a bank manager should get concerned over one person buying a box of nickels??? Me thinketh not! This may be more of a problem with the manager than for you and the teller.

Next time you go in to buy a box, take in some homemade chocolate chip cookies...about a dozen or so...and make sure the manager gets to participate in them! :laughing::laughing: Bribes never hurt!

Banks charge a business a fee for each box of coins they get. My bank did the same thing to me and started charging me $5 for each box of coins I wanted just like they do every business.

That pretty much ended my fun with coin roll hunting as I would have ha to average at least 2 silvers from each box just to break even.

Get ready for that news one of these times you go in!!

I know your situation but for others who have multiple options id say start getting boxes from somewhere else too..so one from one place and the next one from somewhere else, then ofcourse you have to find a third place to cash them in.

My banks counter is now charging 8% fee for counting cash if you dont have an account...and they make the main button on the screen the one where they charge you the 8% and the one where they dont is off to the side..way off to the side

the girls at the credit unions that I buy my coins from would literaly throw ME out the door if I brought in chocolate chip cookies or something like that - they are a bunch of atheletic, healthy skinny girls & I would be seen as a huge AH as tempting them with cookies

so I walk in & lay on my boyish charm & they all melt....then I can buy whatever I want lol

and OP why nickels? I sometimes do them to find the war nickels, but cents you can easily double your money (if they have no halves)

It won't be long before they start charging roll fees or flat out denying the service. Bankers talk to each other and they know about CRH. Any big corporate bank chain is pretty much a no-go now.

It won't be long before they start charging roll fees or flat out denying the service. Bankers talk to each other and they know about CRH. Any big corporate bank chain is pretty much a no-go now.

Then you will just have to find some small friendly neighborhood banks to move your accounts too! :laughing::laughing: Then those "big corporate banks" won't be so big anymore, will they?

To add my experience with CRHing. I bought $500 in halve dollars, went through all of them and then took them to the bank all at one time. the teller asked the manager (or someone else there with an office) if they accepted them. She said yes so I deposited them. After that, I started to go in with a few rolls at a time. no problems.

I am not worried about the bank I turn the coins into denying me. Unfortuantely, I am only a member of one bank, so buying from another bank is not an option.

Hmmm, if this bank wasn't so busy all the time the gift idea might work. Not sure how the gift idea would be recieved. Usually 10-15 employees there at a time.

Coin roll hunting has almost been like how guns are going with Obama being reelected. One of the banks I've bought probably 20 boxes from said that the manager no longer lets them do it. Sun trust also is refusal. And another bank of America treated me like I told her to go F herself. Pretty sad this was such a great hobby for me.

Could be a sign of being denied at a later date. Looks like they are on the fence with weather to let you or not, and now that they know what you are doing with them, they may have more reason to deny you.

Having only one bank that you hold an account with, do you take back the coins to the same bank? If so, you're time will be short lived if they put 2 and 2 together and see you bringing the coins right back to them for them to pay to ship out. NOT A GOOD IDEA if that is what you are doing.

All banks I deal with do not charge businesses for boxes, but rather, have a fee they pay for a certain amount of coins delivered weekly, as long as your ordering is not causing them to order above their typical order, they should have no problem and there fees should not increase. There is also a fee to return bags of coins that the coin counter take in. My guess is either their outgoing or incoming fees are suffering because of your extra order and that is why it is raising flags. That, or the manager is a !!!!!.

My suggestion is similar to what others say:
1) Slow your order to not raise flags with them
2) Open another account somewhere to dump your change
3) Treat both banks well (cookies, fruit, ect.)
4) Always ask if they have a box they can part with, or are they short this week.
(Your hobby will not be more important to them than business customers, and they need to know you are happy with only buying when they have enough for you. If it isn't enough, find 2 banks to buy from)
5) Keep quiet about what you find if at all possible. They may be unhappy that you are using them to get goodies.

Nickels are great. Still a lot of silver out there and plus plenty from the 30's, 40's, and 50's to hoard. buffalos and key dates show up too once in a while.

You may also ask if you can buy the bags when they fill instead. Both win this way, as they do not need to pay to ship them out, and they actually save money when you take them off their hands.

Good luck.

I deal with three banks. On all three banks, I asked for the bank manager, I explained to them my hobby and told them my intentions up front, told them I wanted to buy 2-3 boxes per week, with NO fees charged to me and if they agreed, then I would open an account with them. The manager said NO problem and I could order as much as I wanted, with no fees as long as I kept an account with them.

The next bank I went too, I explained the same story, except I told them I wanted to dump $1,000 to $1,500 a week in coins, and wanted to do so with no fees, told her same thing, I would open an account there if she agreed. Well she said the same thing....no problem whatsoever.

I have a third bank to deal with but rarely deal with them except to buy bags from their machine a few times a yr.

Been dealing with these three banks for yrs now, NO fees, no dirty looks from tellers, they all know my wife and I by name and treat us like valuable customers.

The only time we take them anything is at Christmas and we take them a box of chocolates for thier kindness.

Another thing I might add, both banks told me they pay a flat fee to their armored truck service regardless of how much coin they order or how much they have picked up. They told me if a bank tells me they are charged a fee per box that is just a lie they say so they dont have to order for you.

You need to find a bank who actually wants your business

Could be a sign of being denied at a later date. Looks like they are on the fence with weather to let you or not, and now that they know what you are doing with them, they may have more reason to deny you.

Having only one bank that you hold an account with, do you take back the coins to the same bank? If so, you're time will be short lived if they put 2 and 2 together and see you bringing the coins right back to them for them to pay to ship out. NOT A GOOD IDEA if that is what you are doing.

All banks I deal with do not charge businesses for boxes, but rather, have a fee they pay for a certain amount of coins delivered weekly, as long as your ordering is not causing them to order above their typical order, they should have no problem and there fees should not increase. There is also a fee to return bags of coins that the coin counter take in. My guess is either their outgoing or incoming fees are suffering because of your extra order and that is why it is raising flags. That, or the manager is a !!!!!.

My suggestion is similar to what others say:
1) Slow your order to not raise flags with them
2) Open another account somewhere to dump your change
3) Treat both banks well (cookies, fruit, ect.)
4) Always ask if they have a box they can part with, or are they short this week.
(Your hobby will not be more important to them than business customers, and they need to know you are happy with only buying when they have enough for you. If it isn't enough, find 2 banks to buy from)
5) Keep quiet about what you find if at all possible. They may be unhappy that you are using them to get goodies.

Nickels are great. Still a lot of silver out there and plus plenty from the 30's, 40's, and 50's to hoard. buffalos and key dates show up too once in a while.

You may also ask if you can buy the bags when they fill instead. Both win this way, as they do not need to pay to ship them out, and they actually save money when you take them off their hands.

I am returning them to another branch of the same bank a few towns away. And this bank does not accept unrolled coins, so no coin machines, no bags, just boxes.

But thinking more about the gift idea, really wish I could bake lol!!! But fruit, hmmmm. Trying to think of gift idea options, as well as how to go about giving them the gift. Give it to bank manager and have her distribute it, or what? Bank tellers are all always busy when I am there, and I don't want to interfere with their work.

Any one have any other gift ideas, as well as how to go about giving the gift to the bank tellers?? Liking the fruit idea right now.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

Things aren't as easy as they used to be in Canada either. Many banks treat it like a huge hassle or just tell you outright, "We have several people that work here that already go through every roll so...." or they try and give you new coins from the mint. Hardly worth it anymore. :no:

Think you roll hunters should realize that people have been doing this for at least 40 years, so some banks are probably a little tired of dealing with it, least in areas where it's a popular hobby. A couple of people using the bank weekly, probably isn't such a big deal, but a couple of people everyday... Most customers don't like waiting in line any longer than needed, and certainly not for someone with a unique request. The bank isn't getting anything out of the roll hunting hobby, except to provide a free service, which costs them money, even if they don't pay fees on the coins, the do pay an employee to service your coins.

Back
Top Bottom