"Friend" of Ray Bradbury

Old Town

moved on...
This probably belongs in another forum but I thought more people would see it here. It's regarding the Friends aspect of forums and why I do not participate in it.

In the past few days I've had some very nice folks ask to be "friends". I've had to explain to them I'm not involved in that and have gotten the feeling I've hurt some feelings. I guess this is a natural reaction to someone openly telling you to bugger off. (but in a nice way, I really try to be nice and explain my reasons)

I though I'd explain it here, in the open, to head off my having to do this privately in the future if some misguided member actually feels me worthy of friendship.

I'm a member of two other forums, one on sailing and another shooting forum. A few years ago one of my Friends told me he'd like to visit with me on his vacation in Key West. I agreed and we made a time of 2pm. I even gave him my home address which is about the dumbest thing a human can do. This guy was from the shooting forum and he had always seemed perfectly okay online. Even charming at times. I liked the way he wrote and thought him very bright.

Come the day, he shows up at 10am and dressed in camo clothing. He had on full paramilitary regalia and was covered in tatoos. Tatoos are not so bad, but to display an image of an African American hanging by a tree limb on the upper arm is not something I'm comfortable with. He also had swastikas and other White Brotherhood stamps all over. He even had his sleeves cut off at the shoulder to display his artwork of inner-most desires.

The Illustrated Man wanted to go bar hopping right then and there. He's still on the doorstep. I'm quickly going through the options in my head on how to dispose of this thing that I brought on myself. I'm a big guy, well over 6 feet and 200 pounds. I'm in very good physical shape but actually felt a twinge of intimidation by what stood before me. We all like to think we're tough guys but this intruder had me spooked. He looked genuinely nuts. I only fake nuts when it serves me at the moment. Illustrated Man was the real McCoy.

As it turned out, I managed to get rid of him but not without some uncomfortable conversation, and not without me staying up at night for a few days watching my back door. Nothing ever did come of it but you never can tell about a person until you've looked them in the eye and gotten a feel for what's inside. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to join with people in person and by natural selection to decide if they are going to be a friend or not.

The Friends thing is mostly a harmless desire of online members to feel some kind of connection with another poster whose style they like. I understand this and appreciate the sentiment. I'd just rather pass on this aspect of forum life. I'm still watching my back door on nights when it's dark and windy and it's spooky outside. The Illustrated Man is still out there somewhere.

Old Town

I've currently got 6 "friend" requests in my box right now. I don't want to decline, which would probably end up hurting some feelings, but I have no idea what happens after I accept the friend request, so I don't do that either. I think I'm with you on not participating in this part of forum life.

I'd like to think we're all still friends, even if we don't click on something to make it "official". I still have no idea what happens if I accept one of these "friend" requests.

BTW, I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a facebook account, or even looks at them.

-- Tom

I've currently got 6 "friend" requests in my box right now. I don't want to decline, which would probably end up hurting some feelings, but I have no idea what happens after I accept the friend request, so I don't do that either. I think I'm with you on not participating in this part of forum life.

I'd like to think we're all still friends, even if we don't click on something to make it "official". I still have no idea what happens if I accept one of these "friend" requests.

BTW, I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a facebook account, or even looks at them.

-- Tom

I'm with you. Wouldn't touch Facebook or Myspace with a ten foot pole.

OT

This probably belongs in another forum but I thought more people would see it here. It's regarding the Friends aspect of forums and why I do not participate in it.

In the past few days I've had some very nice folks ask to be "friends". I've had to explain to them I'm not involved in that and have gotten the feeling I've hurt some feelings. I guess this is a natural reaction to someone openly telling you to bugger off. (but in a nice way, I really try to be nice and explain my reasons)

I though I'd explain it here, in the open, to head off my having to do this privately in the future if some misguided member actually feels me worthy of friendship.

I'm a member of two other forums, one on sailing and another shooting forum. A few years ago one of my Friends told me he'd like to visit with me on his vacation in Key West. I agreed and we made a time of 2pm. I even gave him my home address which is about the dumbest thing a human can do. This guy was from the shooting forum and he had always seemed perfectly okay online. Even charming at times. I liked the way he wrote and thought him very bright.

Come the day, he shows up at 10am and dressed in camo clothing. He had on full paramilitary regalia and was covered in tatoos. Tatoos are not so bad, but to display an image of an African American hanging by a tree limb on the upper arm is not something I'm comfortable with. He also had swastikas and other White Brotherhood stamps all over. He even had his sleeves cut off at the shoulder to display his artwork of inner-most desires.

The Illustrated Man wanted to go bar hopping right then and there. He's still on the doorstep. I'm quickly going through the options in my head on how to dispose of this thing that I brought on myself. I'm a big guy, well over 6 feet and 200 pounds. I'm in very good physical shape but actually felt a twinge of intimidation by what stood before me. We all like to think we're tough guys but this intruder had me spooked. He looked genuinely nuts. I only fake nuts when it serves me at the moment. Illustrated Man was the real McCoy.

As it turned out, I managed to get rid of him but not without some uncomfortable conversation, and not without me staying up at night for a few days watching my back door. Nothing ever did come of it but you never can tell about a person until you've looked them in the eye and gotten a feel for what's inside. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to join with people in person and by natural selection to decide if they are going to be a friend or not.

The Friends thing is mostly a harmless desire of online members to feel some kind of connection with another poster whose style they like. I understand this and appreciate the sentiment. I'd just rather pass on this aspect of forum life. I'm still watching my back door on nights when it's dark and windy and it's spooky outside. The Illustrated Man is still out there somewhere.

Old Town

I am also a "friend" of Ray Bradbury. However, if a guy came to my doorstep with a tattoo of a black man hanging from a tree or swastikas, I would have told him to leave immediately.

Slasher, I think you missed my joke. The Illustrated Man was a character in one of Ray Bradbury's stories. I only called the guy who showed up at my door "The Illustrated Man" because that's who he reminded me of. It was a vague literary reference meant as a joke to those readers who have read Bradbury.

In no way am I friends with anyone I perceive as a bigot. Key West is the single most diverse town in the US. If you have any speck of animosity toward anyone who looks or acts differently than you, you will have a hard time living here. I have no such problems. In fact, it's the best thing about Key West after the weather and natural beauty of the surrounding water.

Hope I didn't let people think that nitwit at the door was a pal. I really thought my writing was clear. Or maybe I've misconstrued Slasher's answer in some way. It's easy to get messed up on these forums as to meaning - especially when you're trying to be clever.

OT

Slasher, I think you missed my joke. The Illustrated Man was a character in one of Ray Bradbury's stories. I only called the guy who showed up at my door "The Illustrated Man" because that's who he reminded me of. It was a vague literary reference meant as a joke to those readers who have read Bradbury.

In no way am I friends with anyone I perceive as a bigot. Key West is the single most diverse town in the US. If you have any speck of animosity toward anyone who looks or acts differently than you, you will have a hard time living here. I have no such problems. In fact, it's the best thing about Key West after the weather and natural beauty of the surrounding water.

Hope I didn't let people think that nitwit at the door was a pal. I really thought my writing was clear. Or maybe I've misconstrued Slasher's answer in some way. It's easy to get messed up on these forums as to meaning - especially when you're trying to be clever.

OT

I got the joke. I'm covered in tattoos, that's why I said I'm also a "friend" of Ray Bradbury. All I was trying to convey was that I have zero tolerance for that kind of bigotry. Being a Jew, the first thing that would have run through my mind if a man showed up at my house with a swastika tattoo is, "my enemy is here."

Sorry you had a bad experience meeting someone that was a digital friend that did not translate well to real life. I have met my one friend on here and he seems like a stand up guy. We spent the whole day detecting together and both walked away with a fair amount of change and junk. He found a '55 nickle. That made his day.

Having run a computer BBS for 9 years (before the internet), I guess I am used to meeting strangers. However you always meet them at a neutral location like a coffee shop or the pizza place that is hosting your BBS party. (Those were the days). I agree that not everyone you meet is going to mesh well with you, but I would not give up meeting new people. You only live once.

I did some computer dating for about a year.... now that was scarey!

Sorry you had a bad experience meeting someone that was a digital friend that did not translate well to real life. I have met my one friend on here and he seems like a stand up guy. We spent the whole day detecting together and both walked away with a fair amount of change and junk. He found a '55 nickle. That made his day.

Having run a computer BBS for 9 years (before the internet), I guess I am used to meeting strangers. However you always meet them at a neutral location like a coffee shop or the pizza place that is hosting your BBS party. (Those were the days). I agree that not everyone you meet is going to mesh well with you, but I would not give up meeting new people. You only live once.

I did some computer dating for about a year.... now that was scarey!

Vethraxx, I'm gonna show how slow I am: What's BBS mean?

Certainly I can see the appeal of meeting people online. Especially if you live in a rural setting and do not have hoards of folk outside your front door. Or if you are a little shy and find it easier to connect via the computer first. That's not my problem. Key West is very much like a cruise ship at sea. We have 50,000 plus persons jammed onto an island of 7 square miles and 100 miles out to sea. Meeting people is not a problem, avoiding them is what occupies me most of the time.

Making friends online is not important or desirable in my mind. That's not meant to sound harsh. I've already got my hands full with people in the flesh.

OT

Vethraxx, I'm gonna show how slow I am: What's BBS mean?

Certainly I can see the appeal of meeting people online. Especially if you live in a rural setting and do not have hoards of folk outside your front door. Or if you are a little shy and find it easier to connect via the computer first. That's not my problem. Key West is very much like a cruise ship at sea. We have 50,000 plus persons jammed onto an island of 7 square miles and 100 miles out to sea. Meeting people is not a problem, avoiding them is what occupies me most of the time.

Making friends online is not important or desirable in my mind. That's not meant to sound harsh. I've already got my hands full with people in the flesh.

OT

Bulletin Board System.

To each their own. Personally I've enjoyed meeting people from this forum, sharing knowledge and hunting trips, but I also understand it's not for everyone. I think, and hope that most people on this forum would understand your stand on this. Still glad to have you here!!!.........Happy Hunting!!

I would not mind meeting people after I wrote to them for a little while. But the only exception would be I would not want them to know where I live. I love my peace of mind and privacy.

I do wonder though Old Town... Would I still intimidate you if I was covered with Kermit the frog, Miss Piggy, and Tweety Bird Tattoos? :lol::lol:

I would not mind meeting people after I wrote to them for a little while. But the only exception would be I would not want them to know where I live. I love my peace of mind and privacy.

I do wonder though Old Town... Would I still intimidate you if I was covered with Kermit the frog, Miss Piggy, and Tweety Bird Tattoos? :lol::lol:

You would if you came riding in on that 2-legged horse!

OT

I actually met a guy from this website that REALLY freaked me out also. I know he was on somekind of speed because of the way he was acting. Thank god i didnt tell him where i live.
Yes if someone was to show up at my doorstep that was coved in those kind of tats i would politely tell them to get on down the road.

I appreciate your honesty Old Town as I am one of the few that sent a friends request. 1st of all...my feelings (lol) were never hurt and I respected your wishes. And to be perfectly honest....my wife put me up to it after we had resolved our misunderstandings thinking it would be a good gesture. However I do send out friends request at my discretion. And if you see my home page you will see only a few members as friends. I never met these nice folks in person nor conversed with any by phone, postal or web cam. You have to understand Old Town, not everyone here is some weirdo disturbing looking person. As far as I know....we all share a common interest in this great hobby. I personally have these folks on my friends list cause its easier to contact them when I have a question or a statement I want to share. I'm sorry you had to meet such a character as you described...believe me I've lived most of my life in South Florida where there's a huge diversity of ethnicity and alternative lifestyle so I can understand. Also.. that was your choice to meet the person regardless of the time. So for you to indirectly think I or others are possible freaks is wrong in my opinion. Not only that...you cant judge a book by it's cover as you should know this. You conversed with your so called illustrated man and thought he was a nice guy right? Till you met him. If you ever met me...you would think I was some pissed off guy cause I always look mad...but once people get to know me...they all have a different outcome of me. I'm a joker to put it plain and simple. Anyways... what I'm trying to say is you chose that and learned a valuable mistake....but thats you. One last thing....TO ALL WOMEN ON THIS FORUM! Don't give out personal info like the street you live on or place of occupation. Internet is and could be a dangerous place to meet shaddy people. I know cause a guy went to my wifes job who flew from California to Florida just to see her after meeting him in a chat room. She didn't use her senses (well she is blonde too. lmfao) Thats all I have to say about that.
F. Gump

To each their own. Personally I've enjoyed meeting people from this forum, sharing knowledge and hunting trips, but I also understand it's not for everyone. I think, and hope that most people on this forum would understand your stand on this. Still glad to have you here!!!.........Happy Hunting!!

Same here. Have a couple of cool hunting buddies thanks to this forum.
The key is never agree to meet for the first time at eithers house. We've always met at a hunting spot.

Dragon, that's a spooky story about your wife. To fly cross country to meet a stranger is a big red light to me. Danger!

I guess my whole point is I'd never again join with anyone from a computer connection. Most are OK, some are not. I'd prefer to know someone in person for a good long time. See them around town, be able to ask "Charlie" at the corner store if he knows "Oscar" from over on Whitehead Street. Make local contacts and leave it at that. Like was done in the old days.

Nobody should have hurt feelings.

Old Town

Good story Old Town... and a lesson learned. Having lived in many countries and states, I have met all sorts.... some great, some evil. That's humanity. I am, myself, a bit of a recluse - not to say I do not have friends... I do. But remain mostly to myself... I am a cache hunter, so that is quite a solitary endeavor. No need to explain yourself, although the incident was informative. Glad to have you here... RickO

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is adult enough to accept and respect the fact that someone may decline a friend request. Kim-chee is not for everyone. WOLF

Back
Top Bottom