Silver Ring From Hunted Out Park

Scooterjim

Elite Member
I keep hearing a place is never hunted out, Phelps Grove Park in Springfield, Mo is as hunted out as you can get. It was a farm before it was a Civil War Camp, and a CW hospital and later became a home to CW orphans. It became a park in 1910 and people have been looking for CW artifacts ever since. I seldom hunt there, but it has been too dry to do much digging and I thought I'd kick some chips in the tot lots. I managed to find over $3 in clad and a pretty little silver ring. Nothing was more than a half inch deep. It is a different hunt than what I'm used to. Peaceful and quiet with only the occasional beep, no iron, no beaver-tails,no canslaw and very few pull tabs.
phelps grove ring.jpg

Thanks, everybody. The wife likes it and it fits. That really raises the value way past melt. I'm lucky to have a wife that likes silver jewelry more than gold,and doesn't care if it's used or dug. She does prefer gold coins over silver, but you can't win them all.

Still no rain, we have had some promising storms and showers headed our way for the last couple of weeks, but they have been breaking up as soon as they get to Springfield. Digging anywhere you don't want to leave a mess is impossible. I spent a few hours yesterday hitting tot lots for a dollar fifty. I think other detectorists had the same idea, I have never seen the chips so clean. Today's plan is to hit a local river gravel bar beach. It's more of a creek than a river, but a popular hangout, unfortunately kind of a trashy crowd.

Back
Top Bottom