Please Help Pick First Detector Under $800

Ive had the ATpro and its a great detector! However Fisher came out with the new racer line that you may want to consider. I never had one but you may want toook into some reviews.

Fisher's new Racer line?? Their only new additions seem to be the F11, F22,F44. The Racer was some import machine. I to like the AT pro.

Yea..my bad Racer is some import detector. I was thinking about the new F series fishers.:roll:

In my opinion the area I hunt is more important than the detector I use,and I just started seeing the light.Icant find what's not there,no matter what machine I used.Great advice on detectors from members above, but location is everything.

In my opinion the area I hunt is more important than the detector I use,and I just started seeing the light.Icant find what's not there,no matter what machine I used.Great advice on detectors from members above, but location is everything.

Location, experience, equipment :cool:

There are two good suggestions here for the ATP and xTerra 705. Since I have both I will give you my two cents worth.

First of all I always tell people to start simple with something like an Ace 250 or 350. Good beginner/intermediate machines that won't break you. The reason is simple. A lot if people spend a lot of money on machines they can't immediately understand or enjoy. Better to spend less money and get your feet wet cheap and find out if you will actually pursue this hobby. It's not turn on and wave machine and find good stuff. It takes a lot of study and practice.

Ok back to the kids. I consider them to be practically equal but with different pros and cons. The ATP is easier to use but the 705 has LOTS of options built in. However the learning process is tougher. The 705 is lighter and after a couple of hours or even years that's going to matter. The ATP is waterproof, the 705 has a backlight. The ATP pinpoints better, the 705 goes a little deeper.
I have 2 ATPs and one has the stock coil and the other has the 5x8. I do about as well with one as the other. My 705 has the stock coil.

Once you decide you might look for used equipment on Craigslist or eBay. Like I said many people drop out quickly and you can get their equipment for pennies. 4 of my 6 machines I bought used and all still had warranty time but I've had no problems with them. Again stretch the budget. Good luck

Well, i've looked into and read reviews and comparisons of every detector you guys have mentioned so far and i think i'll probably be going with the AT Pro since it was the one most of you have mentioned and appears to have everything i need (waterproof, gold prospecting abilities, a screen, and lots of reviews).

Just have to pay off my other bills first and then i'll be making my purchase. You guys will have another active member of the other subforums (me) within the next couple months.

Thanks for all the help!

Another question, possibly one without an answer;

Can the AT Pro detect platinum?

Yes, mine picks up my wife's wedding set just fine.. But can you get your coil over it? At 280+ rings so far and I can't seem to....

<°)))>{

Nope, the most I found in one day was ten... But usually more like 2 or 3 if I'm lucky....

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom