• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

squeaked one out of a Bag-o-dimes

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
Got a bag of dimes on Friday, and I was all excited as I have never found less than 6 silvers in any bag. I have got as many as 12, so I tore into it knowing I was going to add to my pile for the year.

This excitement was short lived because I wasn't getting much at a ll. I had a bad feeling this bag may have been mostly from a dump from another CRH'er.

After 10,000 dimes and probably 4 hours of sorting, I got one measly silver dime. Not worth my time, but still glad to at least come out with one.

Can't win them all. Hope the next one is better. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20131215_134802~01.jpg
    20131215_134802~01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 290
  • 20131215_134827~01.jpg
    20131215_134827~01.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 280
It's just the luck of the draw...been doing dimes for years now, (over half a million dollars worth), and can say that they aren't always steady with finds.

I've done boxes, bags of loose, bags of rolled, and have to say that the boxes are the most consistent and give up the most Barbers and mercs for some odd reason. They also give up the most silver Canadians, of which I've found 150+.

That one dime looks nice and crisp, congrats on not getting skunked!

It's just the luck of the draw...been doing dimes for years now, (over half a million dollars worth), and can say that they aren't always steady with finds.

I've done boxes, bags of loose, bags of rolled, and have to say that the boxes are the most consistent and give up the most Barbers and mercs for some odd reason. They also give up the most silver Canadians, of which I've found 150+.

That one dime looks nice and crisp, congrats on not getting skunked!

Thanks. I know it happens sometimes. I have just had such good luck with bags, it's almost a guaranteed 6-10 silvers every single time (and I have done many many bags with consistent results) Boxes have always been junk for me. I think in 50+ boxes, I might have 10 silver dimes to show for it.
Just like you said, It's just the luck of the draw, and hopefully the next bag will return to normal. lol.

Lean times sometimes come along....glad to see you bulled through it and got a silver for your effort! Congrats!

And better luck crhing on the next batch!

Yup, gotta keep at it. Sorry, if I sound like I was complaining. Just a little frustrated. I will admit, the thought of just stopping the search and taking it all back in to the bank did cross my mind, but I "bulled through" as you put it and at least got one.
Looking forward to the next one for sure.

Where do you get your bag of dimes. I think if I went in my bank and asked for a bag of dimes the lady would look at me like I'm crazy.

Where do you get your bag of dimes. I think if I went in my bank and asked for a bag of dimes the lady would look at me like I'm crazy.
Used to be a time they thought one crazy for searching dimes...nowadays, everyone's crazy...lol...never know till you ask. I get bags of dimes right off the line, no coin counters here, and I intercept the bags before they get shipped off with the armored carrier.

I get mine right from the bank directly off the coin sorter machine. They win because they don't have to pay to ship it back to the feds and I win because it passes through less fingers. Buying boxes is nice and all, but those coins have been brought in to a bank, sorted there, pulled off that machine by a teller, given to the armored truck guys, brought to a sorting facility, and probably sorted a couple times before being put into rolls and then boxes. This process means a lot of people can intercept the good coins before they get to the box. Bags from the machine are handled way less and therefore have a greater chance of finding stuff. Only the person who brought them in, you and possibly a teller touch those coins. The person who brings in silver is clueless, so it's you and maybe a teller who check those coins. Less chance of goodies being spotted. That's my theory anyway.

None of the banks around here have sorting machines. My preferance is for customer rolled and I have a very high hit rate for halves. Having said that I don't do well on dimes and I've never done worth a !!!! on nickels just a lot of pre 60.

Also although my hit rate is very high for halves it's so rare for the banks to have them that I do get more searching boxes. I still hope for the day I get a few rolls of customer halves and they turn out solid silver.

I have all customer rolled boxes usually.. about 1 or 2 silvers per box... because i dont have many silver quarters i have only found 1 duplicate so far of the 1964.. but it was in low to unc grade.

I get mine right from the bank directly off the coin sorter machine. They win because they don't have to pay to ship it back to the feds and I win because it passes through less fingers. Buying boxes is nice and all, but those coins have been brought in to a bank, sorted there, pulled off that machine by a teller, given to the armored truck guys, brought to a sorting facility, and probably sorted a couple times before being put into rolls and then boxes. This process means a lot of people can intercept the good coins before they get to the box. Bags from the machine are handled way less and therefore have a greater chance of finding stuff. Only the person who brought them in, you and possibly a teller touch those coins. The person who brings in silver is clueless, so it's you and maybe a teller who check those coins. Less chance of goodies being spotted. That's my theory anyway.
My luck with the machine bags have been pure silverless dumps.

My first machine bag yielded 190 silver halves. I was hooked from then on. lol

here is the link:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=96580
I gotta agree; they were good 4-5 years ago, but with the rise in silver and everyone and their brother roll hunting around here, all machine bags are dumpage lately...not sure why so many are still roll hunting silver, after all, the price has nosedived in half!

I gotta agree; they were good 4-5 years ago, but with the rise in silver and everyone and their brother roll hunting around here, all machine bags are dumpage lately...not sure why so many are still roll hunting silver, after all, the price has nosedived in half!

Not for me. Bags keep on giving (except in this case). 8-11 halves in every bag on average. The 190 was a once in a lifetime score. Doubt anything close to that will ever happen again.

Back
Top Bottom