Pissed of the teller

Just a point for my side: My bank where I do my dumping AND my main banking has a machine outside the lobby where people dump large volumes of change. There is NO counting or re-rolling by employees (unless you count their having to put the change into another machine that rolls them for them). They do not ever have to order from the big bank in wherever. They use this service ONLY when someone orders a box of halves or dollars. That saves the bank money and fees of their own. I am ALWAYS friendly to the tellers, even when they are not so friendly to me. I just never forget. The only point I have really been trying to make is this: The bank employee should always be willing to smile and be friendly when handling any transaction. If they are having a bad day and do not wish to do so they should put that little "next window please" sign up and go have a coke and a snickers or something.

Half of the posters and their attitudes are what's going to kill CRH'ing in the very near future. Woodstock, Accordselux, DougF and Harvey get it. Ther rest of you don't. It costs money for banks to order in those boxes for your hobby.

The excuse that they charge a fee for an "overdraft"? You cashed a check you couldn't pay for, thats your problem and you should be charged for it.

"I'm the customer and I'm always right" --LOL, get out of the 70's dude, that mind frame has long been lost. Too many people of that mind frame ruined that for eveyone else, just like some posters on this thread.

And I'm no bank lover but jeez, some of you need to get off your entitled high horses. If it costs me money I can't recoup to provide you a service, I'd be a pretty pathetic business owner but yet you want to rail against the banks for doing the same.

If you don't like your bank's fees or policies, you didn't do your homework, and shop around. Some fees are designed as penalties, an incentive to be more careful in the future. You don't want to pay those fees, don't write bad checks. It happens to most people occasionally, a deposit does clear as quickly as needed or expected. Usually, you can talk to the bank, and they will forgive the fee. Some people write bad checks frequently, live paycheck-to-paycheck, and don't want to wait a day or two. It can get expensive and risky.

Finding coins with a metal detector is completely different than CRH. We aren't dragging unwilling participants into our hobby, and we aren't just finding silver coins or key dates either. We aren't forcing customers to wait a little longer on their lunch break, while the teller goes to the vault to retrieve our hobby supplies (heavy too), or wait while a sack of coins run through a counting machine. Our hunting has a minimal impact on other people around us, least we try.

If someone were well off, why would they need to take advantage of a free service, create an inconvenience for employees and other customers? Just for fun? Just for attention, and to be treated like royalty? Most all the coins found in rolls, are fairly common, and could be purchased at a reasonable price, so why spend hours searching through circulated rolls? Sort of like playing the lottery, except it's little or no cost to play. Banks are a business, and not an entertainment-type business. Why would you expect a big smile, and gratitude, every time you come in to play? The best you could hope for, is to be tolerated, not a cute teller down on her knees licking your filthy boots. If you are well off, open a commercial account, order the boxes. Got rich friends, who would close their accounts, because the bank isn't happy play your game, have them order boxes for you, with their commercial accounts. Nobody likes to be played with, or taken advantage of.

Maybe they should set you up with a comfortable chair, off to the side, and let you pick through all of their unrolled coins that come in, only expecting you to pay face value for any you plan to keep...

If you bring them to my bank, they have to be rolled, we don't except loose change in quantity. You have to roll it ur self or find some other place to take them. This is what most banks are going to.

TL;DR It's probably been said but don't dump at the same bank you buy from.. ever. You need at least two bank accounts to CRH.
This kind of thing is why so many banks won't even allow withdrawals in rolls to people without business accounts anymore, and/or charge roll fees.

That's the big problem. Your repeat business.

Pick up at one, dump at the other. Don't s*** where you eat.

Basically you're creating more work for them. You go in, take your coins, theoretically profit off of the searching, and return the coins, expecting them to be happy about it and give you more to repeat. No one wants to do extra work for nothing that will profit other people.

I'd just turn that place into a dump bank now that you've made them mad, and find another branch to get coins from.

They aren't going to want to help you, and may cut you off, or complain to regional/corporate and set up an anti CRH policy.

Dumping where you pick up, dumping in large quantities, and raising complaints with the manager about a transaction that the bank does NOT need to fulfill and loses them money are all quick ways to hurt you and other CRHers.

Regardless of what you believe, a bank doesn't have to do everything you want them to, it's a business. If they lose money, they'll stop dealing with you eventually.

Was waiting for someone to point out the true problem. Thank you acordselux and itsaring for doing it.

Go ahead, buy those rolls, BUT...

Don't sell them back to the bank, keep them unrolled and instead buy stuff with them! Use them LOOSE to pay for that burger at the greasy arches or the soda at the convenience store. That puts more LOOSE CHANGE back into circulation to get lost so that us SERIOUS metal detectorists can have a chance at finding some clad to donate to CLAD 4 KIDS.

Just sayin' here, sounds like a good compromise.

I buy coins from the vending machine guy at work, he knows I'm looking for collectable coins but he sells them to me straight out of the machine without looking at them, he'd rather have light paper money than heavy coins to lug around!

Don't sell them back to the bank, keep them unrolled and instead buy stuff with them! Use them LOOSE to pay for that burger at the greasy arches or the soda at the convenience store.

Or here's another idea, and I'm sure many of you guys already know this (or already do it). You can dump the whole batch of coins into a Coinstar machine and instantly convert it to an Amazon.com voucher for the face value of the dumped coins for no fee. If you need something on Amazon (and who doesn't?) consider buying from them in this manner in the future. If you're spending thousands of dollars a week on CRH then this might not be a viable alternative, but otherwise I think this is a good (and underutilized) service that people should take advantage of.

My bank does not accept rolled coins. They have a machine much like the coinstar machine out front. Dump em in pull the voucher and take it to the teller. If you do not have an account it deducts 10% if you do have one it takes 0. The bank loves this set-up. They do not have to order from the big bank of Whatever and they have all the change they need. Have not had a single bank EVER tell me they have a problem with my CRH. If they do, then fine. Just tell me and I'll move on down the street.

Hello,

I wouldn't go too often however as long as you have an account with them I wouldn't tolerate a rude teller... They are there to assist us, period... I do not have a problem but again I do NOT go very often (once a week at the very most)... I also try to present them as clean as possible because of the fact that I want to check out what I have as well, in detail... Banks now a day do not focus on customer service like they use too, the ones in business now have grown so large you almost feel like they could care less if your a customer or not... This may not be the case with those mom and pop banks but I know its how the huge banks feel (BOA, Wells Fargo, etc)...

JR

What ???

If your into just messing around to get people mad I have to feel sorry for you and your friends . Whatever hobby you choose to do is your business but just to get others P*****O**at you is borderline insanity ... IMHO , Woodstock
Didn't realize there were so many bank sympathizers on here. If I would have known this made them so mad I would have started coin roll hunting years ago. I'm gonna pull a couple thousand out from under my mattress now and go buy a bunch of coins from my bank.

Well this isn't something that I'd consider "standard" customer service . Standard customer service in a bank is many things but tellers or banks are not required to jump through any loops . Or to provide anyone whom is not in a business with accounts at the bank boxes of rolled coins with a smile . They do it now just because they have too . In the near future I feel banks will discontinue doing this unless they charge a fee per box or bag of rolled coins .
And when this happens it might be due to "all the CRH braggers" . Because someone , someday will read up on one of these forums that has a closer relationship to the banking business . That person will point out what the bank hasn't been keep tabs on and one day you'll go out for your boxes to sort and you'll see a fee per box , per hundred or whatever ... the day is coming .
IMHO , Woodstock
Hello,

I wouldn't go too often however as long as you have an account with them I wouldn't tolerate a rude teller... They are there to assist us, period... I do not have a problem but again I do NOT go very often (once a week at the very most)... I also try to present them as clean as possible because of the fact that I want to check out what I have as well, in detail... Banks now a day do not focus on customer service like they use too, the ones in business now have grown so large you almost feel like they could care less if your a customer or not... This may not be the case with those mom and pop banks but I know its how the huge banks feel (BOA, Wells Fargo, etc)...

JR

I was a bank manager for 8 years (before my hunting days) so I have been on both sides of this issue. Tellers have the WORST job in the world, so here are some tips to help get what you want...
1. Be nice...chat up the tellers (tell them they are great, wonderful, bring donuts..whatever)
2. Be patient with the tellers...it will pay off
3. Be honest ... some tellers hunt for silver but most don't really care or they don't have time to hunt. (if they really like you they will hold them for you) :)
4. Rotate your spots...
5. Don't bring your coins back to the same bank you got them from (unless they have a coin machine) and even then don't do it to often

Being a customer does entitle you to getting what you want but like my mom always said "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Sorry Harvey, gotta throw the BS flag on this one. Those same banks don't mind hammering me with a $30 fee for an overdraft if I screw up. I don't mind costing them .20 for a minute of their time! :D There are at least 6 banks in our town of about 25000. If they want my business and that of all the folks I may influence then they darn well better smile and say "Thank you Mr. Meeks" when I CRH. Just sayin...:money::money::money:

yup---all there fees --i don't mind taking 2 suckers and giving them all my dirty change too--Us detectorists--know about how much banks cared about people-(remember the depression and banks closed there doors to people that had all their money in them?)thus the hunt for grandpas buried loot,due to distrust of the banks continues!!

If I coin roll hunted --and got anything less than a smile & a thank you,with my service--I would become the squeeky tire:yes:!!

What did you expect?

You need to have a couple of of different banks, one to pick up, and at least one to drop off. Whst did you expect? If i worked at a bank and someone came in with all thwme coinage they picked up the day before, id be pissed too! Why not just unroll them and look through them in the lobby, lol! If you cycle the rolls through different banks, nobody seems to care. Remember, these people are at work. Would you want someone doing that to you? Just some friendly advice from a fellow CRH. Cheers!

It's a hobby, something to do for fun and amusement, occasionally rewarded with silver. Banks are a business, tellers are employees, trying to work, while you are entertaining yourself, at their expense. Wonder how many coin roll hunters stand at the teller's window, crack open rolls, and keep exchanging them, until they find some silver? I rarely go into convenience stores, or any place the sells scratch off lottery tickets, just for that reason. Some of those people are in their own little world, when on a roll, and getting more tickets, with their instant winners. If I was standing in line holding a case of beer, I'd of set it on the floor, and walked. If you had already pumped you gas, you are stuck.

The bank isn't making a profit, so you aren't a "customer". You are expecting the banks to hand you free money, they know the silver is worth way more than the face value, that they are required by law to work with. They can't charge you melt value for those silver coins, just the face value.

Really surprised that coin roll hunting is still even slightly productive these days. My father did it back in the 70's, and wasn't too successful most of the time, but with 5 kids to re-roll the coins, he didn't care.

If your into just messing around to get people mad I have to feel sorry for you and your friends . Whatever hobby you choose to do is your business but just to get others P*****O**at you is borderline insanity ... IMHO , Woodstock

Yeah I'm crazy..... Super crazy.....

I like to have fun. And if it's at the expense of others that get butt hurt because they have to do their job..... then yes.... I want some of that.

I've been coin hunting now since my post here. I haven't found a single silver and my bank has been nothing but nice. I'm losing interest in it. It isn't as full of adventure as I thought it would be. I was expecting bank employees to be dissing on me and giving me dirty looks. I didn't get that. But I have new plans to open a account at wells fargo and do the same thing. I want to see if a big bank like them will differ in customer service from my local bank.

Grow up

Haven't posted in a while, but I have to jump in on this.

Getting an attitude about your teller is not going to help you, or them, and it makes the rest of us look BAD.

Like it or not, the reality is we get to CRH, only because they allow it.

If they decide they want to charge a coin-conunting fee they will. If they decide they want to cut you off they will. If they decide they won't order you any more coin...well...

I have lost several branches to people who think that because a business has its doors open they are entitled to act as they please.

To the jackholes who order 2000 bucks in halves a week and then just dump them back into the *same bank*--the timer is running on that branch...they will eventually cut you off...and when they do that, they cut us ALL off. Yeah..they get mad..because of people like you. And that screws over everyone...even YOURSELF.

If you want to do yourself and the rest of us a favor--and if you want to keep CRHing--you will need to can the self-entitlement attitude and play ball.

Tellers DO have a crappy job. They are on their feet all day, rarely get a full weekend, and are facing customers pretty much 100 percent of that time. And for this they make pretty much no money.
Then in comes you, with two bags of coin weighing 25lbs each, filthy with coin dirt, they have to feed that machine, change the bag when it fills (a fun, dirty, hands-and-knees operation) and lets not even talk about when it jams.
Meanwhile the line is down a teller and their manager is glaring at them because they are holding up the line. These are not players on your little stage, these are people.

The Evil Bank that is "screwing you" out of your bounced check fees(!?) is a list of rules on paper. But the people who decide whether or not they apply those rules are PEOPLE. And make no mistake about it...if they want to cut you off they will just cut you off...and you can rage all you want, you--and everyone else who wanted to use that branch--are still screwed.

NOTE--By the time you find out if I (and all the other people) am right about this, it will be too late.

This is not hearsay. I have been doing this EVERY day for 2.5 years. I lost one branch early on due to my own ignorance. And have had several other branches cut me off because of people JUST LIKE YOU.

The service you are recieving is being provided to you in good faith.
SO BE NICE.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom