• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

$10 metal scoop

Liberty_1776

Forum Supporter
I just finished this scoop this morning. It took about 5 hours. It is not the most pretty thing, or the most symmetrical :lol: but it's something I threw together quick kind of as a prototype. It is made out of mild steel so it will rust. I'm going to use it for a while and then if I like it I will either paint it or maybe spray some of that rubberized truck bed liner on it, although I'm not sure if rubber and sand mix well. I think the sand might stick to rubber too much.

I used 16 gauge steel and added another 1/8 inch plate on top to attach to handle and give it some extra strength. I was going to brace the handle underneath but it's definitely not going anywhere. I also gave the mouth a little bit of a blade edge to help with digging. I also wrapped some electrical tape around the handle to give it a grip. It weighs in at 2.6 pounds.

scoop.jpg

scoop2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I wish I had the wherewithal to make something like that! don't down it, it looks pretty good to be homemade! Plus you already are ahead by at least 50-100 bucks from what I see some of the scoops go for!

I had a chance to try out the scoop. The beach I went to was completely sanded in, so no goodies, just a few cents. It is indeed durable and held up exactly as I planned. Some notes for my next scoop: Needs to have a longer basket (length front to back) so it can dig deeper. I may need to angle the handle a little more too. I definitely need to coat it with something and the spray-on truck bed liner seems to work out pretty well on my test piece. Keep watching for scoop 2.0 (when I get more time)

It looks like where the handle weld is attached might not last to long the if you torque it to much. How has it worked so far?

It looks like where the handle weld is attached might not last to long the if you torque it to much. How has it worked so far?

The handle has an angled cut and the welds penetrated very well. The picture actually makes it look worse than it is (although I'm not super proud of that weld). It has held up through everything without bending at all. I've even used it to dig in wet packed sand and have been pretty hard on it. I was originally considering putting bracing on the handle but after I attached the handle I put the basket in a vice and tried to bend the handle to see if it would hold. It actually moved the 1,000 lb welding table my vice is attached to.

did I hear? "DIABLO":laughing::laughing::laughing: I bet I can at least get my hands on one of these. NIce job and nice to see you see what changes you need to make..but in time it will be awesome I bet.

NIce Job

good job,

saved a ton of money for something that should get the job done. I sized one of the pics so you can see it all in the frame...Gil

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 813
did I hear? "DIABLO":laughing::laughing::laughing: I bet I can at least get my hands on one of these. NIce job and nice to see you see what changes you need to make..but in time it will be awesome I bet.

NIce Job

Lol!!!! Ya I got caught up watching those old vids on the tube about that diablo scoop! Man I want one of those bad! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom