"Dug $18,000 in 3 days!"

Ok, I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, but I just watched American Diggers for the first time. I haven't been MDing all that long, but there is no way you're going to dig 18K out of abandoned lots in Detroit. The show is really far fetched, their digging techniques are atrocious, and Savage can be a little annoying "BAM BABY!!" ...ok I'm going to say it, and probably take some flak for it, but I kinda of enjoyed the entertainment value of the show, despite the damage to our hobby... Anyone else?

I have been there and it's not a nice place to go by yourself. The place has had a great deal of money made there. The other thing, is the fact of drugs. Many would bury there money for safe keeping. The old people would also would bury it to keep it safe. All along the river are many old homes that could have quit a large some buried. It's not safe in Detroit, except in numbers in any area. As you go North on the river the homes are more expensive, do not know if many are abandoned or not now. Big difference in safety Canada. :cool:Just be safe if you hunt.

T.V. stations look for people who tune in and either keep watching (good) or change the channel after a few minutes (bad), so best thing you can do if you hate the show is watch for a few minutes then change the channel, showing that you dont like the show. Not tuning in at all just says that you don't watch that channel.

I watched a few minutes of it the other day, they dug up an old rusty hand drill thing and said "We will probably get $500 for this...", that was all I needed to see, *changes channel*.

I'm stating this as someone who lives in Metro Detroit, went to college in the City of Detroit and has metal detected there on occasion. The Detroit show was a flat out fabrication! (And I think it is safe to assume most all of their shows are). I don't want to get into details, but I have a trustworthy local source and most of the "finds" were planted and little if anything was actually found on the sites.

There are many detecting opportunities in Detroit, but you sure as heck are not going to find 16K worth of finds in 3 days and probably would be lucky to make such finds in an entire lifetime detecting the city. Yes, it was once a very wealthy place, but the oldest parts of Detroit were torn down and covered over long ago. There are very few existing neighborhoods from earlier than the late 1800's and the vast majority are from 1900 to the 1950's.
Could there possibly be some long lost Purple Gang Prohibition loot? Of course, but you also have to deal with an unbelievable amount of scrap metal and modern garbage in the a city that was once the manufacturing heart of America with many residential areas that are now litter invested wastelands.
You also have a city with an astronomical amount of crime. Property crime in Detroit is so commonplace that at most times a call to the police for anything other than an armed robbery or shooting will not receive any attention. Just a few weeks ago an elderly man was beaten and carjacked at a gas station. It took so long for EMS to arrive that a good Samaritan had to drive the man home with a broken leg! The rewards are not worth the risks.

I live in michigan, and would not venture that way. Detroit has turned into a cesspool.
It was a cesspool when I left in 76 and I dont think it has improved. :laughing:
Actually I probably would detect down there because I know the area. But then there are some great areas just outside the metro hole.

the best part of the show is the beginning when he gets denied permission from several homeowners

Just happened Elly got it online and we watched both today. What a joke if the guy buying is paying that much where is his profit. I met a guy while out detecting a second time told me of buying thing s from Goodwill , $5 for a sterling silver platter sold it for $1,900 $5 for a candle holder plated $25 and 100 quarters two mints of the 50 states paid $15 worth $25 cash value . Guess if you know what your looking at you can treasure hunt in thrift stores and get rich.
M6 Mike
i didn't mind the show and don't mind his comments on my treads
Maybe he can come hunnt the gold in Greenville they paved over. LOL story is two walked away left shovels and sifter after carrying a chest to their vehicle. Ask some of the people who lived her back in the early 70s they can tell you about the gold found by many here when a lot was bulldozed. I doubt any is left.

I haven't seen it yet but I should just for the entertainment value alone. maybe 0? LOL
It can't be worse than a couple of youtube videos I've seen can it?

I didnt watch more then 10 minutes of one of their episodes...something about paintballing each other for the best find...

They could have actually done a better job with this show. Too bad two idiots were given a chance to do it.

The thing is it is also good for some to have seen the show.That way when you get hit up by all the people asking why so and so did what,instead of say"I don't watch that stuff!" You can go into detail about what they do wrong.You're gonna get asked or commented to about the show in the field.Why not arm yourself with answers about them to help the hobby?Plus when people google the subject,they see the negative comments about it here!
On another note.Rue has the personality of a rock.And you can tell he has an attitude.It's a matter of time before they get into it about who makes the most money,spike needs to boost their salaries,who should make more,etc.This show will explode from within! Would make a good episode to see if a fake wrestler can take real blows from a detector though!

Alaska episode

As far as the Alaska show, they went to Crow Creek Mine. Anyone can metal detect at that mine for $15 a day and keep all you find. Why would they pay 30%? That 150 Newhouse and all the other finds were obvious plants. The show came off my series record after watching a couple shows

FAKE

I have news for you all....all,and I mean all, those reality shows out there are as “ UNREAL“ as they can be..i gave up on all of the...entertainment only!!!!!!

Well said.....I don't have a problem with the people that make these so-called reality shows. They are producing a commercial commodity. My real concern is the number of people that watch them and believe they portray reality. It's frightening to realize that these same people have a voice in deciding how our country is run.

I try to not watch these types of shows simply based on the bad habits or simply wrong methods of operations. Best example: Cops, (the show) while I was in the academy it was asked if anyone of us watched the show naturally we all did, we were aptly advised that if we would like to learn how to do it wrong please continue to watch. Long and short I'll learn on my own or from a professional, not TV.:no:

I made the mistake of watching the first 10 minutes of one of these shows, and I couldn't stomach it any longer. These guys are complete and total idiots! These shows are actually feeding on the greed of people. The problem is, most of society believe this !!!!! We are probably the only ones that "KNOW" what the reality is. They make the average person want to go out a buy a metel detector and 'get rich'!

Well, look at the bright side though. These people that rush out to get detectors will realize shortly down the road that all this they saw on TV was BS, so the end result is that they will put their detectors in a closet for a bit (give up) and then finally sell their expensive detectors on places like "Craig's list" for pennies on the dollar! :grin:

That show is as fake as wrestlin!!!

They will make like $3k the first day and then say we dug for an additional 3 days for a grand total of $18k in profit. But never show the finds.

Are you saying....Wrestling is fake!?

Back
Top Bottom