Recent find of past few weeks

bearbqd

Elite Member
Recent finds from past few weeks

Hey everyone, I haven't posted anything in a few weeks but I have been detecting when it's not a hundred degrees. I did detect one day when it was about that hot and I think I nearly lost all of my bodily fluids through sweat that day. I'll try to keep all of these in order, but since I'm typing before I load the pictures, I can't promise that. If someone could pm me as to how to submit a little bit of text then a picture and then do that for the next pics too that would be great.

Well my indian fort field is quite grown up in most areas and the finds have been getting fewer and farther between. I was lucky enough to pick up a neat Connecticut copper in my first five minutes there the other day. For those of you who haven't seen my other posts on this field, it has produced so far: 1794 Large planchet large cent, 1797 LC, 1816 LC, 1819 LC, 1828 LC, 1837 LC, 18?? Half cent, Two unidentifyable clipped LC's or colonials, 1864 IH, Two 1897 IHs, 1867 IH, 1890 IH, Two 1935 wheats, 24 different buttons and a plethora of other relics. What's weird about the recent Connecticut is that although there isn't a lot of detail, I can make out that it is double struck (odd since these were hand struck I believe), and the rear is canted about 90 degrees and the woman on the back sits down toward the bottom right. Someone really botched this coin when they struck it. I can't find the variation in my red book either. The head faces left, but the writing on the back doesn't match for a head that faces left.

I also found the neat bell in that field completely intact as well as everything in the photo with the old cowbell. The picture with the long harmonica reed has what I think is the smallest buckle on earth, lol. Look how tiny it is. To a child's shoe possibly? Don't have a clue myself.

Some of the other finds came from my adventure yesterday. My friend Aaron (standing in the one shot) took me to an old 1800's mansion or what's left of it after succumbing to lightening and a fire many years ago (his friend remembers it burning when he was a kid). The area looks awesome, but didn't produce all that much the first time there. It has a spring house in the rear of the property with a deep well in front of it. I was looking for coins in front of the house where I figured the carriage would have loaded and dropped people off, hence many coins falling out of their pockets, but came up empty there. I started crawling under the bushes beside the house when Aaron came around the side to where I was grinning from ear to ear. "What did you find?" I asked. He showed me his first silver find, a 1927 Mercury. I was very happy for him as my Exp II usually outhunts his ACE 250 10 to 1. He found it just below the service just a couple of feet from my first dug hole. Doh!! A half hour later he shows me another merc. "Way to go bud!"

It was actually because of him that I found my only good find of the day. He told me he had a feeling about the area where the second merc came from and knew my Explorer would sniff deeper. He took me over to where a section of wall had fallen over and after 20 seconds of detecting I found the LC. I think it's a 1816. The dates pretty gone, but I was happy. I also found a 1945 wheat penny. There was tons of broken crockery and bottles (old pieces) which was a shame. There was probably some valuable pieces there if they were intact. I did keep one broken piece that has part of the makers mark on the back. Anyone recognize it or know how to identify it?

Oh yeah, the nice 1845 LC came from the same property where I found the Confederate block A button in perfect shape. The wing in the picture with the bell also came from there. The pin in that same picture came from indian fort field. I thought it was a rebel flag pin at first, but its just shaped that way. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• House front.jpg
    House front.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 308
  • House side 2.jpg
    House side 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Aaron.jpg
    Aaron.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Springhouse.jpg
    Springhouse.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 301
  • LCs connec IH.jpg
    LCs connec IH.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
some more pics

Attachments

• LCs connec IH 2.jpg
    LCs connec IH 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 298
  • Cowbell.jpg
    Cowbell.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Broche.jpg
    Broche.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 301
  • Crockery.jpg
    Crockery.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Crockery bottom.jpg
    Crockery bottom.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 298
and some more

Attachments

• Bell pin wing.jpg
    Bell pin wing.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Bell bottom.jpg
    Bell bottom.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Bell w dime.jpg
    Bell w dime.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Harmonica reed.jpg
    Harmonica reed.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 328
Wow! Those are some amazing finds! How do you swing in the tall grass and weeds?

Excellent finds! I know the brush can be discouraging, but keep at it! A hunting buddy is always a good help too

great hunt!

great bunch of finds Bear and enjoyed the pictures , almost felt like being there with ya my friend .i give you guys alot of credit , the underbrush is deffinately a challenge this time of year ( i know i've been out in it alot recently )ya really got to work hard for those finds in it .my congrats to ya ,Dan

Great pile of finds

Bear. I was wondering where you have been. Thought maybe you had to go back to Iraq. That looks like a great place to hunt, keep at it Gil

Bear. I was wondering where you have been. Thought maybe you had to go back to Iraq. That looks like a great place to hunt, keep at it Gil

Yeah, like Gil said! After Iraq, the heat musta been not too bad?!? Great looking place to hunt. Thanks for the post and thanks for your serivce!

Thanks guys. It's nice to be missed. I actually may be going back to Iraq. The unit I drill with (not the one I was deployed with) is on alert. They don't think I will have to go, but you never know. I actually prefer the desert heat over what I was enduring in those woods. I was literally dripping constantly. My buddy walks over and he's not even sweating. "What the heck?", I said. "How in the world are you not sweating? Look at me!" My shirt was as wet as if I had just stepped out of the shower. He said he doesn't sweat much, just the palms of his hands. He's not human.

That place in the pictures wasn't as hard to hunt as you'd think. If you look closely you can see that oddly, most of the ground cover is all laying down. Worked for us.

Thats the kind of place I would love to come across. Love your finds. Hope to have just one of those coins some day.

Back
Top Bottom