I shouldn't be alive

agbkyle

Forum Supporter
Animal planet has been airing this show pretty heavily. I love this show. Amazing what some people have gone through and survived.
Curious if anyone here has been in a really bad situation before?
Can't say as I have. Closest I've had is being lost in the woods for a half hour.
Even that little bit was kinda scary. Can't imagine going a long period of time lost or stranded.

Car wreck bout 2 years ago. Got banged up pretty and was taken to 2 different hospitals.The ambulance crew came back after the doctors were done working on me and. Told me they wanted me to know I should have been taken in a hearse :lol:

I was in a near drowning kayak accident two and a half years ago. It wasn't anything as "exciting" as what is on the show, but I definately "shouldn't be alive".

I was kayaking solo on a river new to me. Having never been on this river before, I didn't realize it was at flood stage. I did pretty good for the first seven miles with only one set of rapids that I had to portage around.

My paddle hit a root wad under the water and stuck just long enough to knock me out of my line going into a rapid. Instead of "hitting the V", I hit a partially submerged tree. The kayak flipped and I went under. I got caught in a strainer, got free and my foot got caught in a Y branch. I got knocked around all over. I was under water long enough that things were starting to go black when I somehow got loose (To this day, I have no idea how I got free. I shouldn't have.). I surfaced, passed out and the life jacket kept my head above water. I came to about 250 yards downstream when my feet started dragging bottom in the shallows.

I walked downstream about a half of a mile to my pullout. Since I lost my glasses, I couldn't drive home. I had to walk another 2 1/2 miles to a church summer camp. I finally found someone with a cell phone and called my wife. At that point, I knew the ordeal was pretty much over.

BTW - A church camp full of junior high girls is not the best place for a half drowned river rat to come walking in right off the road. You get a lot of hostile looks and about a half of a dozen guys within grabbing distance of me until my ride got there.

Doug

Got broadsided in Germany by a drunken German while driven a VW. Feller was in a mercedes. Got ejected across the guardrail into some bushes. 14 stitches..........

Once during the night in Vietnam, I heard a thud right in front of my gun emplacement. The next morning while taking in our claymores, I almost tripped over an unexploded mortar round right in front of our foxhole.

I feel for you Turtlefoot about losing your glasses in a bad situation.

I was walking home one night and suddenly two guys rushed from the
other side of the street and pushed me against a fence. One grabbed
my eyeglasses and threw them as far as he could. I'm blind without
them. One guy held an icepick at my side while the other emptied my pockets.
They then said, they were going to kill me and I started to wrestle with
them and dragged myself to the middle of the street where an SUV was
driving by and veered to avoid hitting me.

I was pushed to the ground on my back. The guy with the icepick began
stabbing me in the chest, all the while laughing.
I laid there with my white t shirt turning red, in a dark street where a car
could run over me. But....

All I thought about, was, "Damn, I can't see a thing without my glasses." :grin:

I've put myself into some bad situations which easily could have turned very bad, or fatal, but I was lucky.

One that comes to mind is when I was about 18, four of us traveling home from a little road trip in a new 5.0 88 Mustang. The driver was drunk, and he had that car going for everything it had. I think the last mark on the speedometer was about 135 mph and it was well past that up close to zero again.... sounded like we were in a jet. When we got home he said there was one turn he took too fast and thought we were done. Now many years later I look back and see how stupid that really was, and no matter what I did I didn't think death was possible.... even when it was happening to others for the same type of stupid stuff!

This thread is similar to detecting. In detecting you only know what you find, not what you miss. On this thread we'll only hear from the ones who made it, and there's no doubt at least a couple who would have added posts didn't have things go their way.

While on a ML Rondevous,I was asleep behind a tree, I felt a solid thump,on my back. I heard someone say ,Damn I missed that coon. I found a bowie knive stuck beside my head through my blanket. nuff said, I did have a great time kicking everyone awake to find the idiot with an empty knife scabbard. He will never ever throw another knife again. Bob

When returning home from work on an icy mountain road, I lost control of the car on some black ice and went through the guard rail and did an eighty foot free fall. Car landed upright, bounced, but stayed on all fours. Still remember the branches of the trees as I passed through them. RickO

but by the grace of God and German laws against killing your children, I have survived a lifetime of stupidity and klutz-ieness!

At around age 18, I went into a spin while driving way too fast, on a very curvey road........ went off the road around 65-70, spinning, down an embankment, into some old lady's front yard, knocking over pink flamingoes and all sorts of yard decorations along the way. When the dust settled, (literally) the car was smack in the middle of the yard, having sailed clear over a 6-8 foot drop, landing on it's wheels, with neither I nor the then girlfriend hurt in any way, the car undamaged. Of course I put the car in first gear and rooster tailed across the pristine lawn, to the driveway, and split.

The next day I drove by the "scene", and stopped to look at it in the daylight.

The skid marks went right between a telephone pole and tree where I "exited" the roadway. The scary thing was that there was no way the car should have fit between those two solid objects...... even "driving" straight between them would seem impossible - yet somehow it went between them in a spin.

Thus ended my juvenile belief that I was immortal, replaced by more of a belief that um, I'm mortal? LOL.

I still drive a bit fast on curvy roads - but well within my abilities, rather than beyond them.

what funny is I just made this shirt for myself LOL

IMG_3802.jpg

It didn't happen to me, But when my brother was in Iraq-he is a Sergeant & one day while getting into his jeep to head out someone ran up to him screaming for him to get out of the jeep, anyways the person told him just a few seconds before he got into the jeep a small child crawled out from underneath it & they looked & turns out the little kid put a bomb device under the jeep..:shock:

At around age 18, I went into a spin while driving way too fast, on a very curvey road........ went off the road around 65-70, spinning, down an embankment, into some old lady's front yard, knocking over pink flamingoes and all sorts of yard decorations along the way. When the dust settled, (literally) the car was smack in the middle of the yard, having sailed clear over a 6-8 foot drop, landing on it's wheels, with neither I nor the then girlfriend hurt in any way, the car undamaged. Of course I put the car in first gear and rooster tailed across the pristine lawn, to the driveway, and split.

The next day I drove by the "scene", and stopped to look at it in the daylight.

The skid marks went right between a telephone pole and tree where I "exited" the roadway. The scary thing was that there was no way the car should have fit between those two solid objects...... even "driving" straight between them would seem impossible - yet somehow it went between them in a spin.

Thus ended my juvenile belief that I was immortal, replaced by more of a belief that um, I'm mortal? LOL.

I still drive a bit fast on curvy roads - but well within my abilities, rather than beyond them.

What's wrong with you?! Why didn't you get out of the car and ask permission to hunt the old lady's yard? I mean you were already there. Geez.

As far as the show goes, I love it. I watch it every Friday with my gf. We get a kick out of the dumb decisions people make. We have aptly renamed the show to 'I'm so Stupid I Shouldn't be Alive'.

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, and you already had the yard 1/2 way dug up.

Yeah, lol, coulda got a few more inches of depth in the ruts I left, tearing outta there. Kids are idiots, I know this cause........ I was one once, decades ago, LOL!

I still have flashbacks when I see lawns overdone with plastic lawn ornamentation. (shudder!)

I sure hope "stupid" isn't hereditary, or my 8 year old daughter's gonna drive me nuts in her teen years. Not that teens won't make you gray and bald without the help of "stupid"............

Floridabill, you selling any of those shirts?

Back
Top Bottom