My Equinox 600 field thoughts

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I've put about 15 hours on this machine since I bought it last week.Took it to several locations.Upfront,I don't need to do multiple test or 100 hours to tell what a machines good at and not good at.Field time tells it all.

Good machine,well laid out and easy to navigate the menu.At first I thought it was well balanced,a few hours in field and I changed my mind,not so good ergonomics.Small coil will do it justice tho.
It will find small pants ribbets at 8 inches,but it's a high tone,leading me to dig for a coin that's not there.
I've dug some iron also, specific bent nails.But I've dug them with all machines,the nox is no different,it high toning on them too.
It does well on hot rocks,took it to a terrible spot full of them and no problems.Thats a big plus for the nox.
All in all it's a good rounded machine,truth is tho nothing magical.In my honest opinion it's no better than anything in it's price.ID is marginal,tones are good..Just like everything in it's price.
Sorry if anyone feels different,but I'm just not seeing anything I haven't before.
I wouldn't dump anything I have for it,but if I were upgrading from a entry class unit,or wanted somthing different ,it's just as good as any Multipurpose unit,,good upgrade.
I have nothing in this,just a honest in field opinion.I like the machine,it has its good points.But I think once the smoke clears many are gonna see what I’ve seen,and feel like I feel.its a great multi purpose machine at a good price.

Last edited:
My Opinion

I agree with your analysis of the Nox 600. There are some things I really like and some I am not crazy about. I can say that I have found coins that I did not find with my AT Pro. Why, who knows ? Usually when a new product hits the market, it's rah rah and I gotta have it. Overall I do like my Nox and I am far from a well experienced dirt digger but I have gone over sites I pounded and continue to find targets I had missed. These are my personal opinions and I have no ties to Minelab.

I agree with your analysis of the Nox 600. There are some things I really like and some I am not crazy about. I can say that I have found coins that I did not find with my AT Pro. Why, who knows ? Usually when a new product hits the market, it's rah rah and I gotta have it. Overall I do like my Nox and I am far from a well experienced dirt digger but I have gone over sites I pounded and continue to find targets I had missed. These are my personal opinions and I have no ties to Minelab.

That's it exactly.All machines in my opinion see things differently.Dont make them better,I expect to find stuff at a site using a different machine than I used prior.

my nox 600 must be better than yours.

I took mine out for the 1st time the other day and it found all kinds of coins my vaquero missed. sure I was in a playground and it had been a year since I had been there but I am sure that had nothing to do with it. it must just be that the nox is so much better.:lol:

Good honest review WB, Wait...... Was that 15 hours at night? With that headlight in your face? :laughing:
Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, this is a hobby, swing what's fun for you.
Looking forward to hearing more as you get more time with it.

Good honest review WB, Wait...... Was that 15 hours at night? With that headlight in your face? :laughing:
Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, this is a hobby, swing what's fun for you.
Looking forward to hearing more as you get more time with it.

No,not all at night.lol:laughing: I did go out last night tho,and hunted mostly with the light out.But,I’ve been taking the machine with me a lot through the week,and just stopping here and there,hitting a lot of places.
I still have the nox,believe it or not I got offered more than I paid for it.I never said anything negative about it,I just gave my opinion of my uses with it.
It is a good machine,I’ll never say differently.

You rave about the AT PRO and your saying this 600 is really no better than the pro. Your opinion is your opinion and you have the right to it but your kinda the odd ball out here. There are many others who are saying totally opposite of what your saying. No BETTER than others in its price range. AT SERIES one trick pony on frequencies. This thing runs multi frequencies at one time that right there ALONE makes it better than others in its price range. Dont take my word for it whoever is reading this go look at what other accomplished detectorist are saying about these detectors. There are enough of these machines out there for people to see from real world users whats up with this thing......You wouldn't dump your AT PRO for this thing? That's a bold statement look at what the others who have went from the AT PRO to it are saying. Oh that's right they are just hyping it tooo...:laughing:

I'm kinda puzzled by you and opinions on detectors but hey what do I know? I'm just some lucky dude who hunts in the sand... Your complaining about it high toning on a deep 8 inch rivet...are you serious? You forgot to tell the people that your AT PRO will call a silver dime at 8 to 9 inchs a nail.....See what the nox calls a 9 inch silver dime. :laughing:

I mean really you might need to do some test or something.... WHY DO YOU THINK THE HOOVER BOYS HAVE SO MUCH IRON DUG AT THE END OF THEIR VIDEOS? I will tell you why folks because their garrett machines call deep coins iron and they have to dig the deep iron because they know if they dont they will be leaving deep coins behind....go make your self a test garden with some deep silver coins in it and get off the internet and test your machines instead of sitting around talking about them..:shock:

That's my opinion of what you had to say and I have the right to my opinion just like you have the right to yours. There are a lot of others opinions that line up with what I said way more than what your saying...just saying happy hunting...

No better than other detectors in its price range.....you got to be kidding me.

I've put about 15 hours on this machine since I bought it last week.Took it to several locations.Upfront,I don't need to do multiple test or 100 hours to tell what a machines good at and not good at.Field time tells it all.

Good machine,well laid out and easy to navigate the menu.At first I thought it was well balanced,a few hours in field and I changed my mind,not so good ergonomics.Small coil will do it justice tho.
It will find small pants ribbets at 8 inches,but it's a high tone,leading me to dig for a coin that's not there.
I've dug some iron also, specific bent nails.But I've dug them with all machines,the nox is no different,it high toning on them too.
It does well on hot rocks,took it to a terrible spot full of them and no problems.Thats a big plus for the nox.
All in all it's a good rounded machine,truth is tho nothing magical.In my honest opinion it's no better than anything in it's price.ID is marginal,tones are good..Just like everything in it's price.
Sorry if anyone feels different,but I'm just not seeing anything I haven't before.
I wouldn't dump anything I have for it,but if I were upgrading from a entry class unit,or wanted somthing different ,it's just as good as any Multipurpose unit,,good upgrade.
I have nothing in this,just a honest in field opinion.I like the machine,it has its good points.But I think once the smoke clears many are gonna see what I’ve seen,and feel like I feel.its a great multi purpose machine at a good price.

One machine will see a coin at 6 inchs with a nail on top and the other wont. One machine will see the targets that another machine will see and it will also see the targets that the other machine cant see.... THAT DOESNT MAKE IT BETTER THOUGH just different.........:laughing: Sounds like what John Edmonton told me one time there is no such thing as a better detector just better detectorist.... some of us know better than that fairy tale...:lol: Heres a question if one machine can see all the targets that the others combined can see. Does that make the one machine better? Have you tested the Nox to see what it can see that your other detectors cant see? :?:
That's it exactly.All machines in my opinion see things differently.Dont make them better,I expect to find stuff at a site using a different machine than I used prior.

Calabash,I just don’t get it.Your so hyped up on your own theories that you can’t let anyone else have a opinion that don’t coincide with yours.In all truthfulness I think your a likable guy,,but this whole metal detecting thing has gotten you a little narcosistic.
My opinion is just that,take it or leave it,but I’m not debating or pushing it on anyone.And I’m definitely not trying to prove anyone wrong.I didn’t compare the nox to anything in general,just all machines in its price that are multi purpose.
You got a real axe to grind with anyone who doesn’t whole heartedly believe what you believe,or has a different opinion.Thats not cool man,I just don’t know what else to say.
As far as your test,they work for you,your a relic hunter who likes the iron infested sights.Im a coin hunter,and already said I don’t hunt those places,and would leave that area.Different styles.Visual ID means more to me than you,Id like to see the ID on your machines when you hit those coins at depth in your garden,probably not good for me but good for you.Just different styles buddy,but certainly no reason to debate like that.

We had difference of opinions before... I asked you a couple questions in the post? You stated your thoughts on the machine and I stated mine... You want to put yours out there and when someone puts you task you get upset. You said the equinox was no better than detectors in its price range. I asked you some questions about other detectors in its price range.. Are you gonna answer them ? Or are you gonna just give your opinion and not back up those bold statements that you made.

A lot of people read these post. You can call me what you want ... The reason I felt the need to respond to what you said is I think its wrong. WHY? I have compared the machine to other machines and it doesnt match up to what your saying. You guys always want to take me to task on test videos but when someone does it back to yhall you get bent out of shape. Are you gonna answer the questions I asked you or just drop off your opinion like others do. Have you tested the NOX against your other machines?? simple yes or no question? BTW you have used it 15 hours and deemed it on par with the rest of the detectors in its price range..... Have you tested it against another detector in its price range to see how it performs?

Helluva 15 hour review Woodbutcher.
Thanks for sharing.

You keep using, give us another at the 40 hour point.

We had difference of opinions before... I asked you a couple questions in the post? You stated your thoughts on the machine and I stated mine... You want to put yours out there and when someone puts you task you get upset. You said the equinox was no better than detectors in its price range. I asked you some questions about other detectors in its price range.. Are you gonna answer them ? Or are you gonna just give your opinion and not back up those bold statements that you made.

A lot of people read these post. You can call me what you want ... The reason I felt the need to respond to what you said is I think its wrong. WHY? I have compared the machine to other machines and it doesnt match up to what your saying. You guys always want to take me to task on test videos but when someone does it back to yhall you get bent out of shape. Are you gonna answer the questions I asked you or just drop off your opinion like others do. Have you tested the NOX against your other machines?? simple yes or no question? BTW you have used it 15 hours and deemed it on par with the rest of the detectors in its price range..... Have you tested it against another detector in its price range to see how it performs?

Ok,I’ll give you my opinion,since it’s the at pro your talking about here.The at pro has Superior usual ID over the nox,not even close.Nox Visual ID is not anywhere near as spot on,At pro is rock solid.
Audio,I prefer the At pro,but I also like the Nox.i give that a draw on preferences,mine .
Waterproof,both claim it but I’m sure the nox will leak just as any machine can and will.a draw on that.
Both nose heavy,a draw on that.
Depth ,for myself I want ID at depth,this is my opinion.Yes the nox is probably deeper,not by 6 inches tho,let’s be real,at least in my soil.The nox has no stable ID at depth,the At pro does..So,for a relic hunter sound is all that matters,for a coin hunter,and my preference,I want ID at depth too,,if it’s useless it might as well not be there,Visual ID that is. Nox goes deeper,At pro ID is better at its depth,,,Draw there,ones no better than the other,one has better depth,one has superior ID at its depth.
Coil selection,At pro all day
Customer service,Garrett all day
Should I stop now?

I really did not want to get involved but i feel compelled too, for one reason only. If a fairly inexperienced guy reads that and takes it the wrong way it would be bad.

The Key is what wood said,,, he does not hunt iron and trash infested sites and would walk away. That said there is some merit to what he is saying. But even if you ignore that the Nox is one of the best if not the best at sifting through trash and ignore that. For what you pay 600 ish dollars you get the newest tech out there multi iq, incredible depth, water proof and wireless phones, light weight etc, i still feel like it is a better deal than anything in the 600 dollar range.

Key is take someone like beep here on the forums, he gets many many virgin yards to hunt and almost anything from the 150 range on would find lots of good finds in those semi to fairly clean lawns. But if you ever get out to an old lot that has had several structures torn down on it , or an old park that has !!!! tons of visitors with trash everywhere , you are in a playing field where you need the best machine you can get your hands on to find the goodies.

One of the absolute hardest things for a detector to do is find a desired target under iron or other non ferrous trash. The Nox is at the top in that department right there with the Deus, and for half the price as a deus. FBS tech is good but still not as good the the current multi iq. I can get the Nox to sound off on desired targets under iron and other trash that the Etrac would not in any way shape or form, and the CTX would not tone, but would see it in target trace. But i cannot hunt watching the screen 24/7 and ctx required very slow coil sweep speeds that would take more time than i can allow for hunting to sweep slow and constantly watch the screen.

I can see some merit in where Wood hunts , but why buy a machine that limits you to clean areas only when for the same price you can have a machine that can hunt anywhere just as good and in most places better and deeper and better tone with very little false iron?

And also with multi iq gold is much easier to find than with a single freq and lower freq detector. I do not make lots of videos like calabash and some others but i do spend lots of time setting up scenarios and testing detectors against each other head to head.

I appreciate wood's opinion and think for him and his style and choice of sites, that was a honest opinion and review.

Ok,I’ll give you my opinion,since it’s the at pro your talking about here.The at pro has Superior usual ID over the nox,not even close.Nox Visual ID is not anywhere near as spot on,At pro is rock solid.
Audio,I prefer the At pro,but I also like the Nox.i give that a draw on preferences,mine .
Waterproof,both claim it but I’m sure the nox will leak just as any machine can and will.a draw on that.
Both nose heavy,a draw on that.
Depth ,for myself I want ID at depth,this is my opinion.Yes the nox is probably deeper,not by 6 inches tho,let’s be real,at least in my soil.The nox has no stable ID at depth,the At pro does..So,for a relic hunter sound is all that matters,for a coin hunter,and my preference,I want ID at depth too,,if it’s useless it might as well not be there,Visual ID that is. Nox goes deeper,At pro ID is better at its depth,,,Draw there,ones no better than the other,one has better depth,one has superior ID at its depth.
Coil selection,At pro all day
Customer service,Garrett all day
Should I stop now?

Yep you should stop.
Based on the above.
Offload the Nox and get At Pro.
Simple as that.

Call it a day.
You have figured out which one suits you better.
No need to paddle around with the Nox anymore.

See there that was easy.

See Woodbutcher you're not going to get any argument or disagreement out of me. I with you 100%.

I will keep my Nox though.

You rave about the AT PRO and your saying this 600 is really no better than the pro. Your opinion is your opinion and you have the right to it but your kinda the odd ball out here. There are many others who are saying totally opposite of what your saying. No BETTER than others in its price range. AT SERIES one trick pony on frequencies. This thing runs multi frequencies at one time that right there ALONE makes it better than others in its price range. Dont take my word for it whoever is reading this go look at what other accomplished detectorist are saying about these detectors. There are enough of these machines out there for people to see from real world users whats up with this thing......You wouldn't dump your AT PRO for this thing? That's a bold statement look at what the others who have went from the AT PRO to it are saying. Oh that's right they are just hyping it tooo...:laughing:

I'm kinda puzzled by you and opinions on detectors but hey what do I know? I'm just some lucky dude who hunts in the sand... Your complaining about it high toning on a deep 8 inch rivet...are you serious? You forgot to tell the people that your AT PRO will call a silver dime at 8 to 9 inchs a nail.....See what the nox calls a 9 inch silver dime. :laughing:

I mean really you might need to do some test or something.... WHY DO YOU THINK THE HOOVER BOYS HAVE SO MUCH IRON DUG AT THE END OF THEIR VIDEOS? I will tell you why folks because their garrett machines call deep coins iron and they have to dig the deep iron because they know if they dont they will be leaving deep coins behind....go make your self a test garden with some deep silver coins in it and get off the internet and test your machines instead of sitting around talking about them..:shock:

That's my opinion of what you had to say and I have the right to my opinion just like you have the right to yours. There are a lot of others opinions that line up with what I said way more than what your saying...just saying happy hunting...

No better than other detectors in its price range.....you got to be kidding me.

What the hell makes a grown man act this way over an electronic device for hobbyists??? :?:

Thanks for YOUR honest opinion of YOUR new machine on YOUR thread WoodButcher. If you decide to stay with the Equinox, I hope you gel and the good times keep rollin'. If not, I'm sure you'll continue stacking the great finds with whichever rig you love and enjoying the hunt! :aok:

Jeesh...;)

I have the 600 My complaint with it is my hand is always tight against the control box .Makes my hand sore after a while swinging. I have went over some nail infested areas that I have found silver in with Tha AT Pro. To my honest Opinion I have yet to get a hi tone. Now on the other hand Civil War site which has been hammered by me and others. The 600 has found me several Bullets and buttons that my other machines have missed. This site is a nail infested place as you can imagine so it has worked really well there.

Well lets see... People come here to read and get the most accurate info they can on detectors. I just put him to task , he said that it was basically the same as other detectors in its price range. correct? I just wanted to know what detectors he ACTUALLY compared it too in its price range....to see if his opinion had any weight to it from actual comparisions or if it was JUST his opinion. In MY threads when I post about a detector test or how it stacks up. People take me to task.. how did you have it set up? You didn't do it right? you should have did this or that, you don't know what your talking about...and on and on.

When I take woodbutcher to task people start crying foul.. WHY? Like I said we all have rights to our personal opinions but if your gonna get offended when someone questions it well that's not my fault..Woodbutchers opinion is just that HIS opinion . He took a machine out and walked around with it for 15 hours and DID NOT test it against another machine.

So when he says it about the same as other machines in its price range... My question is how would he know ? He hasn't compared it to them in the field or the garden....

As far as that AT PRO business is concerned he also ranks it with XP Deus too...:laughing:

I guess what makes me act that way is I see the cheer leaders come out and start cheering ....over a review that is no more than his opinion and not based on any real world test or test garden results..

People come here LOOKING for facts about detectors. Woodbutcher you want to say its no better or no worse than detectors in its price range. Then give us some FACTS as to why it is or isn't.

You stated its probably deeper than the AT PRO but not by much though... My question to you sir how would you know when you have not even run a basic depth test... I know you have not done one because if you had you would have never said that statement to start with because you would have known better

Yes it is inchs deeper than the pro. Bury a deep target and swing over it...

I hope that answers the WHY part of your question.....

Thanks for your honest review ..
BTW if a person read his review and passed on a Nox to get AT PRO it would be almost criminal on how short changed that person would be because of woodbutchers review.

Back
Top Bottom