Outhouses

I heard it was good luck to throw a gold ring down the hole every time you used one of these.

Maybe that's not true...beats the crap out of me!

I'm thinking that'd be a myth someone started just to see if they could get someone to dig into one or more of them. I've never heard of that.

But this does remind me of a joke I was told long ago....

A hobo comes wandering down the road and approaches a home owner working in his yard.

"Sir?", asks the hobo, "Would you be so kind as to allow me to use your outhouse?"

"I guess so." replies the the owner. "It's out back near that shed over there."

The hobo thanks him and heads around the back of the house and towards the shed. The homeowner continues on with his yard work but time passes and more time passes and the hobo doesn't emerge from the outhouse. Getting a bit worried and wondering the home owner ventures back to the outhouse, notices it's rocking back and forth a bit and there are thumping sounds coming from inside.

"Everything okay in there?" hollers the home owner but there's no response and just more rocking and thumping.

Wondering what the heck is going on the owner yanks open the door and sees the hobo standing with his back to him stirring around in the outhouse hole with a long pole.

"What the sam hill are you doing?" exclaims the owner.

"My coat fell in there and I'm trying to fish it out." replies the hobo.

"You're not gonna wear that thing after it's been in there, are you?" asks the owner.

"No sir, I'm sure it's ruined ", replies the hobo, "But my lunch is in the pocket."

I'm thinking that'd be a myth someone started just to see if they could get someone to dig into one or more of them. I've never heard of that.

1) Yea, it was a joke...I made that up.

2) Funny story you posted...but eyyuuu and ich!

3). Another version...Guy walks by an open door on an outhouse and sees a guy throwing dollar bills down the hole.
"What are you doing", he asks.

"Well, when I was pulling up my pants I dropped 75 cents down there".

"So why are you dropping bills down the hole?"
"You don't think I am going to crawl down there for just 75 cents, do you?"

HH

dig it

I have been metal detecting for ten years and I find myself with a puzzling question. My friend has a house that was built in 1947, it did not get indoor plumbing until the mid-seventies. Is it safe to metal detect where the outhouse potty or is it still to soon? I'm sure someone can tell me.

it will be nothing but dirt and ash at the bottom...i have actuall recently gotten into bottle digging and thats where you find the most bottles at just dig down till you find ask/clay or lime thats what they done to help decompose it i have never dug one that even smelt bad i dug one about a year ago that had only been filled in for 5 years and it was good....hope this helps

it will be nothing but dirt and ash at the bottom...i have actuall recently gotten into bottle digging and thats where you find the most bottles at just dig down till you find ask/clay or lime thats what they done to help decompose it i have never dug one that even smelt bad i dug one about a year ago that had only been filled in for 5 years and it was good....hope this helps

Not saying you're wrong but I do recall the "lime pits" in the neighborhood when I was a kid so many years ago. Those pits were the garbage pits for all the household garbage that wasn't burnt. They'd dump all the leftovers (whatever) into the pit and sprinkle a layer of lime over it. I know some folks even sprinkled rat poison in them to deter the rodents. Pretty sure they used lime on the outhouse pits too but thinking that was done when the hole was dug just before placing the outhouse over it...again to deter rodents and whatnot.

As kids we learned to use the quick-lime for fishing. Took a mason jar, put rocks in it enough to make it sink, put the lime in, punch a small hole in the lid, drop it in the river and wait. When the jar exploded fish would float to the surface...sometimes. We could rent a rowboat for 50 cents for 12 hours so we'd do an afternoon into night foray doing the jar fishing, regular fishing then bullfrog hunting after dark.

Man...I wish it was the 50's again... :(

I just posted, left and started reading elsewhere then realized that this thread was missing something.

Halloween has passed and no one has even mentioned tipping outhouses as a Halloween prank! That was a big thing back in the day. I remember the neighborhood legendary tipping...the all time top tip of the century, more 'n likely. Every neighborhood had a grouchy old man who chased kids out of his yard and our neighborhood was no different. One halloween he got his dues when a group of kids (I swear...I was not one of them) waited for him to go out to his crapper then, after he had settled in, ran up and tipped it forward so that he was trapped inside with the door against the ground. As the story went he was stuck there for most of the night before a neighbor rescued him.

I believe we have a resident expert, here!

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 68
Almost makes me want to request a show of cursors on who here has actually used an old, wooden outhouse.

A subject I know much of...including a place to buy your way out. Maps are $5 for those who need one to find this place. :lol:

I accept paypal.

Attachments

• shitcreek.jpg
    shitcreek.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 66
This would be a good thread to read in the virtual crapper and could be used as cyber toilet paper.

Ive heard of people digging these for the bottles that people would throw into them. but other than that I can't imagine there's much else you want.
Keep it clean.

Back
Top Bottom