Why no new equinox coils?

Pastor Bob

Elite Member
Anyone have any idea why Minelab is not allowing NEL or any other company to make coils for the Equinox like they did the E-Trac? Personally, I would love an 8" coil or a 6x8. Would buy one in a minute. The 6" is just too small for most areas.

Anyone have any idea why Minelab is not allowing NEL or any other company to make coils for the Equinox like they did the E-Trac? Personally, I would love an 8" coil or a 6x8. Would buy one in a minute. The 6" is just too small for most areas.

An eight inch would be cool.

I wonder if they could stop someone from making coils?

Look at the after market accessories available for cars, trucks, guns...

If the coils didn't violate any patent or other restrictions, i don't think someone could be stopped from making one.

Cool, that is all to say? An 8x6 SEF would be simply, killer. Any 8 variance would be sweet. ML just doesn't seem to care about the eights.

I agree with Martin (as always) If an 8x6 SEF was made for the nox I'd buy one. The 6" is too limiting and the stock is nose heavy.

Here are some strictly personal observations. I have the 6" coil. I personally don't like it and seldom use it anymore. I generally need more depth than it provides, and I really don't detect often in the type spots where a 6" coil comes in handy. I've never heard lots of praise heaped on the 6. If people are making lots of finds with it I must be missing them. I can't think of an instance where I have thought without the 6" coil I wouldn't have made that find. An 8" coil might be the ticket or it might not. I think the 11" is an outstanding coil, and with the recovery speed of the Equinox being what it is I don't think smaller coils help the Equinox like they do other detectors.

If you've had great luck with the 6" coil feel free to chime in with your experiences. I'd love to hear them. I sure could use a boost in confidence and an excuse to try it some more. I just don't think enlarging it to 8" is going to help much.

Here are some strictly personal observations. I have the 6" coil. I personally don't like it and seldom use it anymore. I generally need more depth than it provides, and I really don't detect often in the type spots where a 6" coil comes in handy. I've never heard lots of praise heaped on the 6. If people are making lots of finds with it I must be missing them. I can't think of an instance where I have thought without the 6" coil I wouldn't have made that find. An 8" coil might be the ticket or it might not. I think the 11" is an outstanding coil, and with the recovery speed of the Equinox being what it is I don't think smaller coils help the Equinox like they do other detectors.

If you've had great luck with the 6" coil feel free to chime in with your experiences. I'd love to hear them. I sure could use a boost in confidence and an excuse to try it some more. I just don't think enlarging it to 8" is going to help much.

I agree 100%. When I got my nox, I knew from the get go I wouldn't be getting the 6". Even in the woods I hunt, the need for coverage and depth severely outweigh the need for separation. Sure I might miss a few good targets that are too close to a tree for the big coil to get, but I'm ok with that. I would personally love a 13" coil or an 8". Anything smaller than that, I feel wont do much for me. I've had the 15" on since I bought it, I find it hard to take off :laughing:

6"

I hunt coins in trashy parks...and have used the 6"...around those darn black and green Screw caps...and have found a lot of coins with it ..these are parks we hunted for fifteen or so years...goes deep on low conductors...I try not to dig number 23..seems to always be a screw cap...unless deep!

It must be patented secret high tech.

If you've had great luck with the 6" coil feel free to chime in with your experiences. I'd love to hear them. I sure could use a boost in confidence and an excuse to try it some more.

Coil selection is all about location and style of hunting.

I have all three coil sizes. In general, I start searching an area with the largest coil I can swing without obstruction, regardless of the amount of trash. At first I'm trying to cherry-pick the easy finds as fast as possible. Then I go to the smaller coils as necessary.

It turns out that the 6" is my most used coil. Relic hunting is my game and the places I hunt are typically iron infested and/or heavily wooded. The 6" coil does an excellent job of getting into tight areas with brush, saplings, etc. lt also minimizes the number of targets beneath the coil, which I believe helps separate the good from the bad. The fact that the soil here is mostly clay helps in that targets typically are 3" or less. Also, the 6" coil pinpoints like a boss.

I should add to my previous post... An elongated coil, like 5x8 or 6x8, may be a huge benefit. I sure would like to try one on the Equinox.

There are rummers of a 5x10 DD which would fit in well with the other three because it will get into tight cluttered areas but will still be able to cover more real estate.
But we will just have to wait and see.
I had a 5x10 on my Exterra 70 and really liked it.
Doug

Coil selection is all about location and style of hunting.

I have all three coil sizes. In general, I start searching an area with the largest coil I can swing without obstruction, regardless of the amount of trash. At first I'm trying to cherry-pick the easy finds as fast as possible. Then I go to the smaller coils as necessary.

It turns out that the 6" is my most used coil. Relic hunting is my game and the places I hunt are typically iron infested and/or heavily wooded. The 6" coil does an excellent job of getting into tight areas with brush, saplings, etc. lt also minimizes the number of targets beneath the coil, which I believe helps separate the good from the bad. The fact that the soil here is mostly clay helps in that targets typically are 3" or less. Also, the 6" coil pinpoints like a boss.

Thanks, I've kept my 6" and while I don't use it much, and I'm not real fond of it you never know when you might need it. Which is why I have yet to sell mine. I'm sure it will see more use at some point probably when obstacles are involved.

I wonder if they could stop someone from making coils?

Look at the after market accessories available for cars, trucks, guns...

If the coils didn't violate any patent or other restrictions, i don't think someone could be stopped from making one.

My understanding is that the coils have special chips or other tech in them that would prevent third parties from legally making Equinox coils.

My understanding is that the coils have special chips or other tech in them that would prevent third parties from legally making Equinox coils.
Those coils were for the X-terra's. 2 coil companies still made them although they didn't pay minelab a licensing fee.

I don't pay much attention to the aftermarket coil offerings, but it occurs to me it may be far from trivial to design a coil that works *well* on a *multi-frequency* machine. I briefly considered trying to wrap a single-frequency bigfoot coil, and quickly learned I'd need an oscilloscope (and know how to use it) to tune it, and lots of experimentation to get it working well. It's not like wrapping an electromagnet in grade school. Multi-frequency likely complicates it tenfold.

The software program used to program the chips in the coils is protected. So Minelab has so far not allowed the use of their software/ For some reason Minelab is rather slow to react to what their customers want.

Thanks, I've kept my 6" and while I don't use it much, and I'm not real fond of it you never know when you might need it. Which is why I have yet to sell mine. I'm sure it will see more use at some point probably when obstacles are involved.

This is where I’m at also. I have mostly been using my 15”, the 11 is dang handy too, I have swung the 6 a few times and it’s fun, but a test of patience.

I'm with you Pastor Bob ! I've got a Detech 6x8 on my Explorer SE and my Whites M6 . I would love one on my EQ 600 . Anything bigger is pretty much overkill for most of my hunting situations , After a few consecutive days of hunts lasting couple of hours or more , the stock coil takes a toll on me .The stock coil is pretty fantastic though .

Coiltek is coming out with 3 coils for the Nox..one is a 10x5 elliptical..

Back
Top Bottom