Snow Fence Labyrinth

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Heavy fog met me once again this morning on the Big Lake..... As if walking across a big beach in waders isnt hard enough, now a fellow has to attempt to get through this snowfence mess! It took me a little over an hour to figure out this crazy Harry Potter maze deal here....In the fog, I was all turned around and didnt know where I was.....:laughing:

But here was a good little cut! Blown out right down to the hardpack! Got these little silver rings and green coins...I sure thought I might find some gold in here...I probably would have if I hadnt wasted so much time walking in circles...Well, I'm gonna toss the old fencing wire cutters in the car and cut a path... Its dangerous, a guy could die in here! :laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• nov 16-16-1.jpg
    nov 16-16-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 396
  • nov 16-16.jpg
    nov 16-16.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 399
  • nov 16-16-2.jpg
    nov 16-16-2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 402
  • nov 16-16-3.jpg
    nov 16-16-3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 401
Nice haul Mudd. I' still getting out but the water is cold. It must be freezing where your at. :shock:

Its actually been quite nicely temperate here Charlie..Thanks to AlGore's Global Warming! In fact, back when I was a trapper, there would be a couple of inches of Ice on the bayous for opener this weekend...Not this year though. The Big Lake Water Temps are in the 60's and go very deep from what I've heard from the buoy tender guys...moreso than normal...that generally means really BIG Lake effect snow...like 10' of it or more coming soon and all at once if we get a brisk and sustained freezer of a wind out of the Arctic.....

Heres some shots from yesterday...see the fog? cold Air, warm water...what a cut this was! Nothing of note in it though...I've hit this place before pretty hard after a big blowout and pulled gold, but thought for sure there was some more I may have missed...That snow road shot was from a few years back when the Lake Effect got to cranking...

There have been a few mornings of frost, down into the high 20's...cold on the hands and all...but not like the old days...I'm gonna trap that big raccoon that has been raiding my bird feeder pretty soon just for old times sake, I'll do a post about that, he is a real beauty, I'll skin him and stretch him, and probably cook him up for the Inlaws Thanksgiving...not that I will tell them of course!.:laughing:...Stay in it Buddy!
Mud

Attachments

• nov 15-16.jpg
    nov 15-16.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 369
  • nov 15-15-1.jpg
    nov 15-15-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 370
  • snow road.jpg
    snow road.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 371
Nice finds on the silvers!! Congrats!

Thanks! Regarding the raccoon, I only got myself to blame...I caught these two a few years back on my way home from detecting...their mother and their siblings was hit and killed out on the road and these two were wandering around all confused...So I pulled over and snatched them up and brought them on home...They were no bigger than a squirrel and very ascared, easy to grab barehanded at that age....

I cant say for sure this big one on the back deck is one of them...As I age, I really dont have the urge to trap anything anymore...I had my time, now I hunt clad/gold...Sure I could easily catch this big old Bandit if I wanted...just not sure if I want to or not...the Wife dont like him though, he knocks down her feeders, but I dont know if thats a good enough reason for me to kill him?...The damn thing is as big as a garbage can though...nice dark color too, would make a fine hide...undecided...They aint worth enough money for the effort....they sure are cute as a button though...a guy never knows when he might need a big old Raccoon around the place....He's out there right now...Big weather coming in...
Mud

Attachments

• coons.jpg
    coons.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 351
Its actually been quite nicely temperate here Charlie..Thanks to AlGore's Global Warming! In fact, back when I was a trapper, there would be a couple of inches of Ice on the bayous for opener this weekend...Not this year though. The Big Lake Water Temps are in the 60's and go very deep from what I've heard from the buoy tender guys...moreso than normal...that generally means really BIG Lake effect snow...like 10' of it or more coming soon and all at once if we get a brisk and sustained freezer of a wind out of the Arctic.....

Heres some shots from yesterday...see the fog? cold Air, warm water...what a cut this was! Nothing of note in it though...I've hit this place before pretty hard after a big blowout and pulled gold, but thought for sure there was some more I may have missed...That snow road shot was from a few years back when the Lake Effect got to cranking...

There have been a few mornings of frost, down into the high 20's...cold on the hands and all...but not like the old days...I'm gonna trap that big raccoon that has been raiding my bird feeder pretty soon just for old times sake, I'll do a post about that, he is a real beauty, I'll skin him and stretch him, and probably cook him up for the Inlaws Thanksgiving...not that I will tell them of course!.:laughing:...Stay in it Buddy!
Mud

I come from a long line of fur hunters my Dad and Granddad both had coonhounds and I spent a lot of night chasing coons in the hills of eastern Kansas when I was young. It was a Tradition to eat coon every year a Christmas my Grandma would cook a young coon Granddad had shot. My Dad cooked one every year after Grandma passed until he got to old to hunt. Some BBQ coon sounds darn good to me! :yes:

Nice finds there Mud!! Any idea how many rings you've found in all your years of metal detecting? Not including junk rings.

Looks like another fine day out at the lake.
Is that a new coil on your rig? How's the balance on it now? Slow down the swing? Looks like it's finding stuff for you.
And of course I always enjoy the side stories......

Haha mud .. You have the best posts in the whole wide world!!!!
Congrats on the sweet silver rings . I'd suggest a trail of cheesy poofs or something but with the seagulls it might be risky .
It would have been cool to drag your scoop in the sand in the fog just to see what kind of path you traveled in the fog.
Bet you were so close to cracking that maze on the first walk in .
Great post!
HH , Dew

Congrats there Mud, I especially liked the part of you walking around in circles, probably grimacing and grumbling a few choice words, but do not sneer... an opening in the fence is near.

Bet you'll go back (w/cutters)

Thanks! Regarding the raccoon, I only got myself to blame...I caught these two a few years back on my way home from detecting...their mother and their siblings was hit and killed out on the road and these two were wandering around all confused...So I pulled over and snatched them up and brought them on home...They were no bigger than a squirrel and very ascared, easy to grab barehanded at that age....

I cant say for sure this big one on the back deck is one of them...As I age, I really dont have the urge to trap anything anymore...I had my time, now I hunt clad/gold...Sure I could easily catch this big old Bandit if I wanted...just not sure if I want to or not...the Wife dont like him though, he knocks down her feeders, but I dont know if thats a good enough reason for me to kill him?...The damn thing is as big as a garbage can though...nice dark color too, would make a fine hide...undecided...They aint worth enough money for the effort....they sure are cute as a button though...a guy never knows when he might need a big old Raccoon around the place....He's out there right now...Big weather coming in...
Mud

:hmmm:

Good hunting Mud. I might have to go up to Fort Peck Lake and try that next summer. Not much swimming goes on tho. Mostly fishing.

Nice finds, was also out, did not do as well. Going to be a gorgeous day for hunting today; although I can already hear the lake roaring through an open window, will stay on dry land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mud

Maybe a catch and release situation? Relocate him to a nice area away from the wifey.

Back
Top Bottom