38 great sounding targets in the water!

Kapi

Forum Supporter
That is how it felt. I got an email on Sunday morning from someone that lost a wedding ring (Her great grandmother's ring handed down) in the water Friday at a local beach that is horribly sanded in. It's also a notoriously mushy beach in the water and is rarely hit by anyone detecting as targets just sink too quickly. The ocean and winds were pretty mild on Friday but on Sunday the winds were 20-25 knots out of the NE which kept the surf blown in so that the super low tide could not manifest.

She was in the water about waist deep 2 hours from high tide when a wave knocked her over causing her ring and eyeglasses to fall off. I drove to the spot and paid to park then walked down to the beach and found the structure on the beach that appeared to look like what she described as where she had sat and started my search straight out from there as that is where she'd gone into the water. The tide was 2 and a half hours from low tide when I got there and she was driving two hours to meet me there. It was clear to me I'd not be able to get into the water any time soon as it was just too rough with 2-3 foot waves. I called her and told her I'd do my best and hoped to get in the water at dead low tide but that she should go back home as it was unlikely I'd get into the water. I sent her a photo of the wooden structure and thanks to my 'dumb' phone it was hard for her to see but she said she thought that was it. She then sent me 3 photos of the beach she took that day but I could not see them well on my phone either and I was a half hour from home so driving home to see them was not an option. I wish I'd had her continue to come to the beach.

After about 30 minutes the tide dropped low enough that the waves calmed a bit over the sand bar and I was able to get into the water. After a few swings a sweet sounding target sounded off and working against the strong current to the south I was able to get it into the scoop. A stupid pull tab! It was not easy getting that sucker into the scoop as it was a bit hard to even get the scoop to the spot I wanted to dig. Constantly I was having to work up stream and let the current drag the scoop to the spot and hope it was close.

Soon Dick showed up, yay Dick! But having had double knee replacement he was only able to work the wet sand area which held only the rare penny and tons of pull tabs. It was possible the ring could have been on the slope but not likely but we wanted to cover all bases.

Target after target I felt I had it. Man that sounds nice! Then a pull tab would be in the scoop. Over and over for 3 hours, getting my butt kicked by incoming waves and struggling in the freezing 72 degree water. :laughing: Hey to me that is cold especially in strong winds. I don't know how your Northerners do it!

Finally the waves were too big to stay in the water and we left exhausted, sore and defeated. 38 targets later for me and 38 moments of disappointment.

When I got home I uploaded her photos and looked closely at them and the structure she spoke of in her photos was no longer even on the beach, the tide had taken it away or buried it. The structure I showed her was about 100 feet further south and was not the same structure but was similar so it turns out we were looking in the wrong spot! :crying:

SO needless to say I am thinking of going back today to try again. Attached is the photo she sent me of the ring she lost, it's the one with diamonds.

When I got home I opened my mail from Saturday and found my best find of the day. A five dollar token that came with the knob guard I bought from Phil Myers on Ebay :)

Attachments

• 38 gold rings.jpg
    38 gold rings.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 3526653881 Laruen Lost ring North Guana Ramp.jpg
    3526653881 Laruen Lost ring North Guana Ramp.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 308
  • so close.jpg
    so close.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
That's a nice looking ring! Good luck trying to retrieve it for her.

Beautiful rings. Looks like you had a really fun time. Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom