Who's the Excal Expert?

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
I've bought two used Excal Blue 1000s. On both, I find the ferrous threshold is MUCH louder than the nonferrous. When in disc, if I set the ferrous threshold so it's barely audible, then I cannot hear the return threshold for nonferrous targets. If I set the nonferrous threshold to barely audible, then the return threshold for ferrous targets is way too loud. I also have two Sovereign GTs and the threshold on both is very consistent.

Anyone else experience this with the Blues? Is it normal? Do they need a new threshold pot? Something else?

Yes... I changed the title. Still looking for advice.

Raider Regards,

R5

Last edited:
I have a Blue and a Green they are both the same as yours.
I have to adjust threshold to my liking each time I switch back and forth.

Thats normal. Think of the threshold as another volume control..... which needs to be set differently for PP or disc mode. In disc you need less threshold or weak targets cant be heard or you dismiss them as falsing..... but in PP a tad more threshold with the right headphones can gain you targets response.

Dew

Thats normal. Think of the threshold as another volume control..... which needs to be set differently for PP or disc mode. In disc you need less threshold or weak targets cant be heard or you dismiss them as falsing..... but in PP a tad more threshold with the right headphones can gain you targets response.

Dew

Thanks Dew. I understand the change in threshold switching from disc to pp.

I should have been more clear... the volume of the threshold changes while I'm in disc. It's the volume of the RETURN threshold that changes after going over different ferrous/nonferrous targets. I've been using a GT for three years and have only experienced this on the Blues.

R5

Last edited:
Thinking about waterproofing one of your GTs David?

I dunno Ron. It might come to that. Probably less expensive.

I just don't understand how the volume of the threshold on the GTs is fairly consistent while the Excal Blues have this vairiance. It's like, I would have to reset the threshold every time I pass over a different target. I sent my first Blue into Kellyco last year to have this fixed, and it came back unchanged. Now I have another Blue and it has the same problem. I can't imagine this is normal.

Haven't seen you much this year :fright: Hope you've had a chance to get out.

How 'bout dem Raiders :cheer:

R5

Both of my green excals 8" and 10" do that. It is not a huge difference though. Might be your hearing too. We all tend to loose the high tones as we age. The low tones are louder. It is a natural thing....listening for years to the wife's high pitch whining. After a while you can't hear it. :laughing:

Both of my green excals 8" and 10" do that. It is not a huge difference though. Might be your hearing too. We all tend to loose the high tones as we age. The low tones are louder. It is a natural thing....listening for years to the wife's high pitch whining. After a while you can't hear it. :laughing:

Thanks Ima. I would tend to agree if my GTs were reacting the same way, but their threshold volume remains pretty constant. I understand they are different machines... sort of... but really, on the Blues, if I set my threshold to just audible after going over a nonferrous target, the return threshold after passing over iron (the buzzing bees) literally blows my ears out.

Oh... I think I hear my wife calling... or is she? :D

R5

I understand they are different machines... sort of... but really, on the Blues, if I set my threshold to just audible after going over a nonferrous target, the return threshold after passing over iron (the buzzing bees) literally blows my ears out.
Something is sure wrong with that. I assume they always did this since you got them? Should not be that different. Your disc/pp pot might be going bad. Just a guess. Do you have a PP mod? If yes then the salt might have gotten into the switch or the wires. Should be either the pot or the switch system. Or something else....:D

Thanks Ima. I would tend to agree if my GTs were reacting the same way, but their threshold volume remains pretty constant. I understand they are different machines... sort of... but really, on the Blues, if I set my threshold to just audible after going over a nonferrous target, the return threshold after passing over iron (the buzzing bees) literally blows my ears out.

R5

So what you are saying is if you put down a penny nickel a dime a quarter and go over them in Disc. mode it works fin with threshold staying same volume but different tones? and when you go over iron in disc mode you have your loud sound. and when it makes this loud sound what do you have to do to make it quiet again, and does it do it every time you go over just iron?

So what you are saying is if you put down a penny nickel a dime a quarter and go over them in Disc. mode it works fin with threshold staying same volume but different tones? and when you go over iron in disc mode you have your loud sound. and when it makes this loud sound what do you have to do to make it quiet again, and does it do it every time you go over just iron?

Yes. Exactly.

That loud sound is the normal "buzzing bees" threshold you get after the iron nulls, except it is MUCH louder than the nonferrous targets. I have to turn the threshold down to get it to go back to normal. But then, if I pass over a penny, dime, nickel, or gold, silver, platinum, I can hear the target respond, but cannot hear the return threshold afterward.

Yes. It does it every time on both Blues. One is stock and the other has the Kellyco pinpoint mod. I sent the stock Blue to Kellyco to have this repaired last year and it came back unchanged. Neither of the Sov GTs I own does this.

R5

tone changes

I found that the tone varies to the last target you passed over. I constantly rebooted my excel till I read the manual

Try turning the threshold on and rotate the knob as loud as it will go and back to where it is silent. do this many times as to exercise the pot as it may be going bad this may clean some corrosion off the contacts inside,
see if it helps
I would then turn the threshold up so it is much louder than normal and run it over iron and see if the threshold continues to be even louder after iron null.
this is to use different contacts in the pot and not the ones that have been used for years.
Do both have stock Blue headphones?

I found that the tone varies to the last target you passed over. I constantly rebooted my excel till I read the manual

Thanks for your input. The tones are fine, it's the volume of the threshold that is whacky :crazy:

Try turning the threshold on and rotate the knob as loud as it will go and back to where it is silent. do this many times as to exercise the pot as it may be going bad this may clean some corrosion off the contacts inside, see if it helps

I would then turn the threshold up so it is much louder than normal and run it over iron and see if the threshold continues to be even louder after iron null.
this is to use different contacts in the pot and not the ones that have been used for years. Do both have stock Blue headphones?

Jim. Thanks again. I appreciate the advice. I'll try turning the threshold to full and then backing off a few times over the next few weeks. As you mention this, I think the manual may actually suggest turning the threshold to full and then backing it off... something I'm not in the habit of doing.

The stock Blue has the guts of the Blue headphones (I did the Peltor mod, but noticed the threshold imbalance before making that change). The Blue with the pinpoint mod also has GGAs. Good question, but I dont think it's the headphones.

R5

Yes. Exactly.

That loud sound is the normal "buzzing bees" threshold you get after the iron nulls, except it is MUCH louder than the nonferrous targets. I have to turn the threshold down to get it to go back to normal. But then, if I pass over a penny, dime, nickel, or gold, silver, platinum, I can hear the target respond, but cannot hear the return threshold afterward.

Yes. It does it every time on both Blues. One is stock and the other has the Kellyco pinpoint mod. I sent the stock Blue to Kellyco to have this repaired last year and it came back unchanged. Neither of the Sov GTs I own does this.

R5

If you talking about threshold volume that is normal for large pieces of iron on threshold recovery,,,,,if its response to iron louder than say a penny, you got a problem,,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom