1652 XII pence Oak Tree Shilling

FOACAD

An employee of mine brought this in to show me. He thought it was pretty interesting and just wanted to share. Said he had it in storage for almost 30 years!! From the time he found it when he was 8 and metal detecting in a field in Pennsylvania.

I knew it was an amazing piece and did a quick Google search. He has since taken it to our local museum and they now want it and will be giving him quite a sizable offer to purchase it. Getting it registered with the national numismatic association etc.

Simply awesome imo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,500
Yes, I would definitely get it authenicated, if I were him. I'm no expert, but it looks a little "off". Let us know if it passes muster.

He has since taken it to our local museum and they now want it and will be giving him quite a sizable offer to purchase it. Getting it registered with the national numismatic association etc.

Simply awesome imo.

Im thinkin if he did take it to the museum,they wouldn't have made a offer if it wasn't real.

Im thinkin if he did take it to the museum,they wouldn't have made a offer if it wasn't real.

Museum curators have "general" knowledge of many items in a museum but usually not an expert on most. These type of coins were hand struck between two dies and are always unevenly shown , a high or "strong" side where most of the force or angle connected and a low or "weak" side . this example has a uniformed "rounded" look all over , hence it was poured or cast in a mold. its either a pewter or "white" metal and not silver as the coin should be .

Museum curators have "general" knowledge of many items in a museum but usually not an expert on most. These type of coins were hand struck between two dies and are always unevenly shown , a high or "strong" side where most of the force or angle connected and a low or "weak" side . this example has a uniformed "rounded" look all over , hence it was poured or cast in a mold. its either a pewter or "white" metal and not silver as the coin should be .

Definitely first see if it passes a silver test.

Sorry... it's not even close to genuine so none of that great stuff will be happening.

Looks more similar to the real one to me.

Apparently the museum has already had a numismatist look at it and he was actually required to sign it out when he wanted to take pics of it.

According to the numismatist that was talking to him, these were done in a screw press. Not hand struck. Just throwing that out there.

I'll try and get more info once I have it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,202
Look at the pitting in your example compared to the known real example... Likewise look at the difference in the size of the I's XII on your example...not even close in size on your example...yours is more like XiI...im no expert, but too many inconsistencies IMO

Notice on the lines on the known real example they are more lines... the fake has dots around it....like yours

Look at the G in ENGLAND, you can see where the mold was bad...

Look at the SIZE of the date and XII of yours compared to a known example...

I'll wait for an official report to verify authencity.

I don't know squat about coins really.

Would like to see it swept under a etrac or ctx,,,that would tell us something.

Looks more similar to the real one to me.

Apparently the museum has already had a numismatist look at it and he was actually required to sign it out when he wanted to take pics of it.

According to the numismatist that was talking to him, these were done in a screw press. Not hand struck. Just throwing that out there.

I'll try and get more info once I have it.

The numismatist is wrong these were either hand struck between two dies or some of the later types might have been used in a "Rocker press" not a screw press. Look it up .

Well.....

I agree with it being a fake ... it looks fake ... and when it walks and looks like a duck odds are it's a duck .........But maybe if or might actually be a different word ... counterfeit ... many farmers and settlers had little schooling and used trust in their bosses or buyers .
First of all it must be silver so test it and then let those experts deside . They might agree with me and due to rarity there are tests to determine that if it's silver , it's old silver .
Putting it simpley .. if it's a counterfeit faked years ago then it still has collector value !
Calling it a copy even if is one is premature ... check out everything and listen to your heart .... IMHO , Woodstock

I agree with it being a fake ... it looks fake ... and when it walks and looks like a duck odds are it's a duck .........But maybe if or might actually be a different word ... counterfeit ... many farmers and settlers had little schooling and used trust in their bosses or buyers .
First of all it must be silver so test it and then let those experts deside . They might agree with me and due to rarity there are tests to determine that if it's silver , it's old silver .
Putting it simpley .. if it's a counterfeit faked years ago then it still has collector value !
Calling it a copy even if is one is premature ... check out everything and listen to your heart .... IMHO , Woodstock

No, no chance it's a contemporary counterfeit. It is cast, but a non silver cast coin from centuries ago is most definitely not going to look like that. It's a modern replica.

I agree that it is a replica, but you guys could be a little nicer about it. You act like he is trying to sell it to you or something.

Back
Top Bottom