railroad hunting

rseasy1

Elite Member
My parents have property in the country with a railroad track that was built in the mid 1850's I was wanting to find out how to locate old camp sites used by workers during the lines building.Any helpful hints?
I have searched the internet but nothing.
How far off the line would the camps been.
Any certain types of signs to look for?
Thanks in advance.

Good questions, I too have old RR grades in my AO and am not sure how to approach detecting them.

I'm not interested in pounds of old iron.

There's a book on ebay right now about old RR lines that are no longer used. By it now $19.95. hope that's what you are looking for! HH

I would just hunt the outer lying areas of the tracks. Do a broad search in different spots to get a reference point.

Seems like RRs are getting popular again...
We have a nice RR line running through here that dates back to the later mid 1800's from when this town was basically the iron ore capital of the earth.

I know it'll be good hunting....well, I hope. Both sides of it are about a 10' slope to a gulley and on the other side of one of the gullies it's quite flat and grassy with pine trees mixed in and it borders the first/main cemetery in town (it's fenced in and not extended to where I'd hunt). Goes on for 10-15miles like this. Waiting to get a chance when it's not raining and haul a backpack and one of the dogs with me and go for a hike.

I'd be hunting bottles first few times, then probably detecting..

Back
Top Bottom