Searching for a weapons cache through concrete?

As a class III dealer/title II manufacturer I can tell you there are no legal options but turning them in to BATFE.

THIS! but it is fun to think about what may be there! now if they are Arisakas, or mausers your GTG but anything with the fun button...Turn em in.

It depends whether or not the concrete is filled with rebar. All you need to do is check part of it in all-metal to see if you get a response. If it's clear, just check it all in AM. A firearm would give a good response, a group of them would be a big response.

Even though the load on the concerte is in compression, and really does not need rebar, most people will put in rebar. This includes engineers even though concerte has little to no coefficient of thermal expansion-and the rebar does. If it is really 18" inches thick there might be a lot of rebar in it. Did he perhaps build a vault under the slab?

Even though the load on the concerte is in compression, and really does not need rebar, most people will put in rebar. This includes engineers even though concerte has little to no coefficient of thermal expansion-and the rebar does. If it is really 18" inches thick there might be a lot of rebar in it. Did he perhaps build a vault under the slab?

up here we have a saying..."concrete is guaranteed to crack" no amount of fiber mesh or rebar will prevent this. we have poured 8" thick fiber reinforced concrete with wire mesh...it cracked. freeze/thaw is very powerful!

up here we have a saying..."concrete is guaranteed to crack" no amount of fiber mesh or rebar will prevent this. we have poured 8" thick fiber reinforced concrete with wire mesh...it cracked. freeze/thaw is very powerful!

The wire mesh may be why it is cracking. Concrete has no coefficient of thermal expansion which mean that it is pretty much dimensionally stable regardless of the temperature (Heat might be an exception but I think that’s another cause altogether). The steel wire or mesh you put in does have a coefficient of thermal expansion which means that it expands and contracts with changes in temperature and can thus break your concrete. When the load on concrete is in compression the wire really will not, in my opinion, add any significant strength.

Now, full disclosure, I am a Mechanical Designer by training and not a Civil Engineer and thus have no formal training with concrete. That being said my uncle, who was a Civil Engineer and very experienced with concrete, swore by the above. Some of the concrete he poured, that I saw over a period of years, bore this out. He also recommended thicker pours, 8 inches minimum, for best results.

cache

Hmmmmm WW2 weapon cache? I find it unlikely that anyone would have been able to bring back a "cache" of weapons with him but anything is possible. Could be non firearms as well. If you dug up a nice authentic family samorai sword(not the military issue kind), it could be worth a lot!

KT has a friend who is a survivalist and he has several rifles hidden in different places on his property and on some mining claims he holds in the National Forest here in Arkansas.

I have seen his preservation methods and they could be found but not easily, but have little doubt the rifles would be in good condition.

You take 4 inch schedule 40 PVC, cap one end, cut off to about 18 inches longer than the rifle, lube rifle heavily, then wrap in cheese cloth, insert in tube, then insert several bundles of ammo similarly wrapped in cheese cloth, and finish off with industrial size cloth bag of fresh dehumidifying chemical. Seal with glued on cap on open end, do this on a low humidity day.

Each rifle is buried this way, all laying next to each other. A small amount of dry dirt or aggregate is placed on top of the tubes to cover them, then concrete wire, 6 X 6 mesh is laid in foundation, but cut in place. When the concrete is poured, all the wire but this one place is set up on bricks, this wire is set up on its on set of bricks. This way not easily found with MD, but owner marks a nick or sign on the concrete, indicating to him that his is where you break it. Easy to recover with an 8 pound sledge. In less than 2 hours you can have them all out and be on your way!

He has also buried them around in the woods on his mining claims similarly packaged, but has scattered railroad spikes all around the adjacent area to keep MDers busy diggin them! LOL

KT told him He would rather have his Royal Rifles loaded and handy at the Castle should the Big Sh*t start up!

Concerning the comments about concrete cracking mentioned just above, KT has no doubts about freeze thaw problems but down here in the South, nearly all concrete slabs have 6 inch steel concrete wire mesh in them, including our highways. We have little problems with that effect on exposed concrete.

Back
Top Bottom