• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New coins deep in the soil

MSUwhat

I have some cabins that were built in the 30s. When I got my detector I thought for sure I'd find some silver by now but no luck. I hit it up yesterday for about 30 minutes and found two newer quarters, 2000s, and they were buried about 5 or 6 inches. They are located on a river and it floods in the spring but nothing intense, just a little bit of water covering the ground. So if things were lost over 60 years ago than who knows how deep it will be. any suggestions or will that treasure be buried for good. The other bad part is that all the cables are buried underground so my detector go nuts. So i have to hunt near the river in front of the cabins.

Unfortunately, I'd say the coins your searching for are probably as deep or deeper than the ones you're finding. I have the same problem. I am hitting an area that I thought for sure would hold a few pre-60 coins, but I'm finding '80s and newer coins at 7"-8" and nothing older than late '60s. The area is constantly moist, so I have no idea how far a coin can sink. For my machine, I'd say most of the good stuff that might be there is probably too deep....and I don't have buried cable problems. But don't give up yet. I did find an 1896 morgan that was not too deep for whatever reason. The only coin I've found in the area that wasn't clad...and that was worth the search. Good luck.

It all depends on your location , the type of soil , and how deep the top soil is there. Generally , a coin will only sink until the density of the soil causes it to stop and in most locations that is around 10 inches or less , unless of course it is helped along by other factors causing buildup of soil on top of it. Ive detected a lot of different sites in 4 different states , over the course of atleast 25 years , and at almost every place even the old coins were less than 10 inches deep , usually mixed with the more modern coins. Ive only noticed 2 exceptions , when the organic matter topsoil was more than a foot deep or the ground was saturated with water for most of the year I have found a couple coins a little deeper but thats not the case in most places. Many people fear their detector is not going deep enough and thats why they cant find the good coins when in reality the coins just may not be there to find. There is a reason most detectors are designed to penetrate the ground at around the same depth give or take , its kinda like cars being designed to operate most efficiently at about 55 mph. , thats about the average of what you can expect to find targets at in most places , or in the case of the car example thats gonna be your average speed limit in most places. Specialty coils are available to "help" you get better depth in a few places that dont fit the "normal" depth range for one reason or another depending on the situation but they arent necessarily gonna help you find more or deeper coins in most places since they "usually" stop sinking well within range of your stock coil.

I agree

I think there is far too much emphasis on depth. and people convince themselves "I need to buy a new detector because I'm missing those deep coins when I hunt"... more often then not its just that the coins arent' there.

Can you get a "deeper machine" and find stuff that isnt' "there" from a lower end machine? Yes you can, but you won't find bags full of coins the lower end didn't.

Most coins old or new are under 7 inches..... keyword here is most.

Yeah I just got my 350 and im not too concerned about it going deep enough or whatever. I already found plenty of good stuff. I know there has to be good stuff there, we are in a tourist area and our occupany is pretty high. I've dug down over a foot and it's pretty moist and dark soil. So I'm guessing everything will be deep and probably not retrievable.

Well I went to a cabin with a higher bank and found a 1957 wheat 4 I ches down and a 1946 wheat about 10 or 11 inches down. Has to be silver, but it will be deep.

There dont ALWAYS have to be silver either , people had less money in the past , definately less silver and more pennies , they also carried less money with them. There may be some silver there , but its entirely possible that there is none , only pennies.

There dont ALWAYS have to be silver either , people had less money in the past , definately less silver and more pennies , they also carried less money with them. There may be some silver there , but its entirely possible that there is none , only pennies.

Facts is facts my good man, people didn't lose as much change when it was worth something.

Nowdays a quarter won't even buy a decent piece of candy or a cup of joe so who cares if they lose it?

Answer: Not even kids care.

I have found clad coins deeper than silver coins in lots of places I hunt. Depth is over-rated. The ability to unmask good targets from trashy areas has been a more successful method of finding good coins than actually going deep for them. I'm not saying that deep silver does not exist I'm just saying that a lot of the silver I have found has been with a DD coil small enough to get better separation. The DD coil really changed MDing and made it easier to find targets masked by junk. I read posts regularly about people finding silver at under 6 inches all the time but rarely see anyone posting silver finds at 8 plus inches. Not saying nobody's doing it just saying that most of the posts I read about silver finds do not involve deep digging !!

If you found pennies at 10&11 ins. you will find silver IF it is there, slow down make sure you overlap your swings, pick one cabin and cover the entire area in one direction then cover this same area going in a diffrent direction it takes time but it gets results . good luck otis

Back
Top Bottom