Whitby Abbey grounds damaged by illegal metal detecting (UK)

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Attachments

• teddy1-blog.jpg
    teddy1-blog.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Funny Woodchuck_4.jpg
    Funny Woodchuck_4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 204
"There was I Digging a Hole!"

Among all organisations,groups or hobbies you will find the occasional rogue who will flaunt the system. In this instance I think English Heritage have gone a little "over the top!" The representative himself suggests little if anything of importance would be found? The vast majority of metal detectorists abide implicitly by the "Code of Ethics" on Ancient Monument Scheduled sites! None of us need bad publicity for it ruins it for the rest of us. This report does little to enhance the improved relationship between archaeologists and detectorists we've seen over the years. If English Heritage were considering further archaelogical digs on this site then perhaps I would support them in their stance ' but I doubt that they will unless "Time Team" turns up with there earth moving equipment? English Heritage owns many sites of historic interest where ancient artefacts lie under the soil and it will remain that way because of their embargo of metal detection. If artefacts are not going to be retrieved then we all lose out with our knowledge of the past! They have no real knowledge of what actually happened at Whitby Abbey just speculation and assumptions. Show us the evidence and then condemn, not the other way around!! :digginahole:

Back
Top Bottom