Cen-Tech $16.95 pointers are flying off the shelf at Harbor Freight

Clay Fisher2

Somebody posted a tip about how great the Cen-Tech pointer at Harbor Freight is for the low price of $16.95. It alerts at 2 inches or better and even has a led light. It also has a nice pouch that Velcro's to your belt. Frustrated with my F Pointer, I went to Harbor Freight today. On the shelf were nothing but opened and EMPTY boxes. I happen to find one in a different area that some body laid down but it was opened, also. Out the battery in and tested in the store. Worked great. Showed the clerk all the empty boxes and asked what happened. She says they can't keep them stocked. They are being stolen as soon as they put them out! What? Well, I practically stole this one with a 20% off coupon. Got home and it works great. I have read that the switch goes out but is a 3 dollar fix. Overall, great and cheap back up.

Under $20, and some simple tinkering, it does the job plenty good enough. It's not fancy or robust, but it works well, and doesn't cost $127.50. I just want to have some fun hunting, not out to impress.

Mine has been a real trooper for almost a year now, found over $160 in clad so far, 3000 or so coins... Maybe used it in about 5000 holes so far...

<*)))>{

Thanks for sharing the tip. I'm going to try to get one tomorrow and see how it does.

That's what I started with. Worked great and never had a problem with it besides it's typical quirks. I still have it as a backup to my GPP.

Thanks for sharing the tip. I'm going to try to get one tomorrow and see how it does.

There are tweeks that are needed, be sure to check out this thread before you buy one and call us all a bunch of SOBs...

Make sure you know how to adjust the pot on the inside of the box for temp changes, and or add a thermistor to fix that issue... Also a new switch is a must....

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=21525

For less than $20, mine is killer, I used a buddy's Garrett, and I did not like it that much, just so used to mine, the Garrett almost seemed to have too much range for me...

<*)))>{

There are tweeks that are needed, be sure to check out this thread before you buy one and call us all a bunch of SOBs...

Make sure you know how to adjust the pot on the inside of the box for temp changes, and or add a thermistor to fix that issue... Also a new switch is a must....

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=21525

For less than $20, mine is killer, I used a buddy's Garrett, and I did not like it that much, just so used to mine, the Garrett almost seemed to have too much range for me...

<*)))>{

Thanks, yeah, actually was already reading up on it. Seems easy enough...

I haven't been able to find anything about increasing the range other than the adjustment screw. I saw something about wrapping a piece of wire around the probe??

Thanks Ice Scratcher for posting that thread and Dr. Mad Dogs modification of the HF pointer. Sure don't want anybody to think that I am stating this 16.95 Harbor Freight pointer is a miraculous cheap replacement for a Garrett Pro or any other great.
I already mentioned that there are issues with the switch. I also read about temperature changes causing problems. While the mods seem genius on paper and comes easy to some to accomplish, I'm afraid this gal would just wind up hacking up the box! LOL I am just stating that it is a cheap backup and I got it right off the shelf for a little over 13.00 using a 20% off coupon. It's working for me until I get the pointer of my dreams!

Yeah, it's not the dream tool, it's just the minimal to get the job done, and very affordable. The mods aren't really that tough to do. The switch isn't polarized, just swap out the two wires. Toughest part is finding one that fits, but I had a huge assortment to look through. Didn't want to hold in a pushbutton, chose a small rocker, that fit nicely in the hole in the case. Didn't like the beeper, little loud, draws attention. Went through my collection of pager motors, looking for one that vibrated well, and drew the least current. Again, the polarity isn't an issue, it just determines which direction the motor spins, vibrates the same either way. The speaker, has the tone generator built in, runs off DC current, about the same as the pager motor. Pretty sure I've got some thermistors lying around some place, no idea the values, or how to test. Don't ever use them, so buried in the clutter. Will buy some, next time I'm ordering parts, just not into buy a single $1.00 item, and paying considerable for shipping...

It's not the perfect pinpointer, but does exactly what's needed, and under $20, a very good value. True, it does need a little work, may not work great, straight out of the box (internal blue trimmer). It does have enough range to locate an item in the dirt, but not so much that it'll go off on everything else. I've got to detune the GPP most holes in my yard, and still spend a lot of time fishing out bits of rusty nail, until I get to the larger object. The Centech tends to find the larger item first, weak response to the small junk.

Yeah, it's not the dream tool, it's just the minimal to get the job done, and very affordable. The mods aren't really that tough to do. The switch isn't polarized, just swap out the two wires. Toughest part is finding one that fits, but I had a huge assortment to look through. Didn't want to hold in a pushbutton, chose a small rocker, that fit nicely in the hole in the case. Didn't like the beeper, little loud, draws attention. Went through my collection of pager motors, looking for one that vibrated well, and drew the least current. Again, the polarity isn't an issue, it just determines which direction the motor spins, vibrates the same either way. The speaker, has the tone generator built in, runs off DC current, about the same as the pager motor. Pretty sure I've got some thermistors lying around some place, no idea the values, or how to test. Don't ever use them, so buried in the clutter. Will buy some, next time I'm ordering parts, just not into buy a single $1.00 item, and paying considerable for shipping...

It's not the perfect pinpointer, but does exactly what's needed, and under $20, a very good value. True, it does need a little work, may not work great, straight out of the box (internal blue trimmer). It does have enough range to locate an item in the dirt, but not so much that it'll go off on everything else. I've got to detune the GPP most holes in my yard, and still spend a lot of time fishing out bits of rusty nail, until I get to the larger object. The Centech tends to find the larger item first, weak response to the small junk.

:?: Most of that must have been in French, German, etc. Because I have no idea what you are talking about. :lol:

When I first started out I used one and the switch failed so I went to radio shack and got a switch and I also added a small motor for vibration.
It worked great. I gave it to a friend who was just starting out since now I have a pro pointer but I always recommend the HF unit for beginners on a budget.

HarveyH48 with your cache of spare parts and electrical goodies, sounds like I need to visit your shop around Halloween when we are building animated props. We are always on the lookout for electric dancing Santas, animated deer or neck massagers that we can strip the motors to make our own creepy crawling zombies. Thanks for all your info. Yep, Holding that button down is a slight pain.

We are always on the lookout for electric dancing Santas, animated deer or neck massagers that we can strip the motors to make our own creepy crawling zombies..

You really need to keep an eye out for oscillating fans for cheap, or on the side of the road.. Take the blade of and they can make a monster's head look right and left, and you can add an arm to them so when they turn they will pull a string up and down... I help my buddy every year with his haunted house for the kiddos...

Just an off topic tip lol...

<*)))>{

I bought one and put a bit of shower curtain material over the switch to keep the water and dirt out and glued it down. Other than that, I turned the internal sensitivity down a touch and it is working great.

Back
Top Bottom